• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can You Dance?

LittleLemon

Dancing is something that has always been difficult and awkward for me. I went to a wedding a few months ago and after being forced onto the dance floor, I had a lot of fun. I noticed a group of people watching me and laughing. Usually I care, but that time I didn't. I was having fun and they weren't! My husband says I'm pretty stiff and uncoordinated when I try to dance. I don't naturally move to the beat.

How are you at dancing?

Last edited:
i just rock back/forth or side to side and flap,that is my dancing,i do it everywhere to metal,rock,reggae,rap etc or even when theres no music and im just feeling a ryhythm.
i couldnt care less what people think of me.

my dad is on the spectrum to-aspie,and he cant dance my mum says he has two left feet,he does that thing where he will move to the side and use his foot to touch his other foot then move to the other side and repeat the foot touching and so forth,and his arms are just hanging down by his sides-i think this is called dad dancing.
however,my uncle jimmy who is dads brother is also aspie and he is a great dancer,my mum loves dancing with him.

i just rock back/forth or side to side and flap,that is my dancing,i do it everywhere to metal,rock,reggae,rap etc or even when theres no music and im just feeling a ryhythm.
i couldnt care less what people think of me.

my dad is on the spectrum to-aspie,and he cant dance my mum says he has two left feet,he does that thing where he will move to the side and use his foot to touch his other foot then move to the other side and repeat the foot touching and so forth,and his arms are just hanging down by his sides-i think this is called dad dancing.
however,my uncle jimmy who is dads brother is also aspie and he is a great dancer,my mum loves dancing with him.

I love your dad's way of dancing! I do that sometimes too. I can handle something simple like that or simply swaying to the music. It's asking too much to incorporate other limbs or body parts into it though.

I love your dad's way of dancing! I do that sometimes too. I can handle something simple like that or simply swaying to the music. It's asking too much to incorporate other limbs or body parts into it though.
do you care how people think about your dancing? my dad gets a bit upset when people mock him about it, if you dance like that theres nothing wrong with it- because dancing is just a physical expression of how you feel,who cares if it isnt technical and complex? i think anyone who dances their own way is awesome for not giving a damn about how they look.

do you care how people think about your dancing? my dad gets a bit upset when people mock him about it, if you dance like that theres nothing wrong with it- because dancing is just a physical expression of how you feel,who cares if it isnt technical and complex? i think anyone who dances their own way is awesome for not giving a damn about how they look.

Unfortunately, yes. Someone commented I looked high once and it hurt. My husband says I'm stiff. He doesn't mean to hurt my feelings, but it doesn't feel good. I get very self conscious. At this particular wedding, I had had several drinks, so it was so nice and freeing not to care at that moment that a whole table was laughing. If i was sober, I would've sat down right away. I wish I could get to the point of not caring without alcohol being involved.

Simple answer? I have 2 left feet, at least the idiot seller on eBay who sold me 2 left footed Slippers thinks so! (see that thread i did in random off topic last week)

*Edited for typos*

Last edited:
Simple answer? I have 2 left feet, at least the idiot seller on eBay who sols mw 1 left footed Slippers thinks so! (see that thread i did in random off topic last week(

I wasn't sure if I should laugh or not! In relation to this thread, it's funny. I just read your other thread though and was annoyed for you. Did they ever cover the shipping?

I wasn't sure if I should laugh or not! In relation to this thread, it's funny. I just read your other thread though and was annoyed for you. Did they ever cover the shipping?

They said they would but to be honest I'm busy, I don't get much chance to go to the Post Office to send stuff back.

I do need to go at some point though, I have my Nephew and Niece's Christmas presents to send.

Did a lot of dancing as a child, as did my parents, it was part of the culture. Learned to tap dance, square dance, ethnic dancing, rock and roll, and did a lot of disco and popular dancing.

I don't do well if I have to dance with a partner, dances such as tango, waltz that require you to do specific steps. When I grew up my peers did their own type of dancing, usually in front of someone who was also doing their own thing. I can do a little hip hop, and find dancing a great deal of fun. Actually go into a kind of trance when I dance, where nothing else matters.

Think it depends on what your family focused on when you were children too. Culturally mine had actual dances that they attended, my mom was a 'bobby soxer' and went out each week to dance, as did my father.

Did a lot of dancing as a child, as did my parents, it was part of the culture. Learned to tap dance, square dance, ethnic dancing, rock and roll, and did a lot of disco and popular dancing.

I don't do well if I have to dance with a partner, dances such as tango, waltz that require you to do specific steps. When I grew up my peers did their own type of dancing, usually in front of someone who was also doing their own thing. I can do a little hip hop, and find dancing a great deal of fun. Actually go into a kind of trance when I dance, where nothing else matters.

Think it depends on what your family focused on when you were children too. Culturally mine had actual dances that they attended, my mom was a 'bobby soxer' and went out each week to dance, as did my father.

That's awesome! I wish I could do some of those partner dances--specifically the polka. It just looks like so much fun. I think it would've helped if my family did anything like that. I don't think I ever saw my parents dance.

I wish I'd learnt ballroom dancing, as I'd have been good at it. I have a good sense of rhythm, and on the odd occasion I've had a chance to learn a dance, I've learnt it quickly. My dad taught me the Twist when I was very young. Disco dancing leaves me cold as there's no rhythm to it (never mind the volume!) or it's too repetitive; but anything up to the 1970's, and I'm there!

I hate dancing if it's not something choreographed (I'm super interested in ballet). I have sworn off party dancing since I don't enjoy it, and I'm tired of dancing just because other people want me to at events. Actually, at my own wedding we didn't have dancing since my husband feels similarly! Bahaha we forced everyone to find other entertainment. (actually many of them said they had a great time so... maybe other people don't like how dancing cuts into the conversational part of a party?)

Oh my, no. No. No. No. Last time I attempted it, someone tackled me, and forced their wallet into my mouth to prevent me biting my own tongue off.

In truth, I have no idea, because I never had the chance to do "professional" dancing, but I can feel the music and dance to that in my own way, but alas I am too self conscious to do it in front of others. I go with abandoment when on my own.

l love dancing ie feeling the music, but it gets a bit scary, because of how it can make me feel ie high.

I also love nightclubbing, but due to my faith, I refrain, because it makes me feel flirty, so have not been for years.

Weird because I hate flashing lights and crowds, but found it intoxicating on the dance floor.

My husband who is an nt cannot dance at all; he just cannot feel the music.

I've never learnt, but I have a very good sense of rhythm and I'm good at memorising motions, so I'm good at pretending to know how to dance.

No my church is not into that...I wish I knew how to Waltz so I could make my aspie ladie friend feel like Cinderella.:(

New Threads

Top Bottom