• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can I still have Aspergers if...

anxiety247

I’m a self diagnosed Aspie that can relate to pretty much every symptom except sensitivity to sound, but I could be wrong.

For example, a lot of Aspies describe that their sensitivity to sound is so bad that they need noise canceling headphones or ear plugs to cope. Or it causes them to have like an anxiety attack and cup their hands over their ears.

I’ve never experienced anything that bad, though there is still a possibility I do have some sensitivity. Because I remember whenever a school band plays during a football game, whenever a drum was hit I would flinch but no one else did. Another thing would be I tense up in loud areas.

Even though I hate crowded areas, I am even interested in going to a rock concert for music I like. I’ve never been to a concert before but I think I could handle it.

Also noise cancelling headphones make me more paranoid. I hate not being able to hear whats going on around me.

It just seems like sensitivity to sound is a common Aspie symptom so I’m almost second guessing myself if I even have Aspergers or something else with all of the other symptoms.

Is that the only reason you doubt having aspergers? I actually have been diagnosed with aspergers. And yes sound sensitivity was a part of it. It didnt stop me from liking very loud. As some on here can tell you. Rock and heavy metal music.

I'm also self-diagnosed.

I don't have the sensitivity to the level that some people do (or else, I don't know what it's like for them, and I'm "used to" my experience of the world, so I don't actually KNOW how bad it is comparatively.) I flinch at loud noises, I'll cover my ears if a baby starts crying, or a motorcycle goes by. I experience discomfort, if not outright pain, several DB levels below the official "pain threshold". After three decades on earth, I've learned not to react too noticeably. I flinch, and plug my ears. For comfort I wear noise cancelling headphones, or earbuds, sometimes, but I can manage without them. My sensitivity increases with stress - some days are better, some days are worse.

Autism is a spectrum...not a gradient. We don't all have the exact same symptoms in greater or lesser severity - some have a really hard time with sensory stuff, but do OK socially, some don't have as many sensory issues, but have a really hard time socially, some people can make eye contact, some can't. You can really struggle in one area and be OK in other areas. You could well be someone who has only minor sensory issues but really struggles in some other area.

I'm also self-diagnosed.

I don't have the sensitivity to the level that some people do (or else, I don't know what it's like for them, and I'm "used to" my experience of the world, so I don't actually KNOW how bad it is comparatively.) I flinch at loud noises, I'll cover my ears if a baby starts crying, or a motorcycle goes by. I experience discomfort, if not outright pain, several DB levels below the official "pain threshold". After three decades on earth, I've learned not to react too noticeably. I flinch, and plug my ears. For comfort I wear noise cancelling headphones, or earbuds, sometimes, but I can manage without them. My sensitivity increases with stress - some days are better, some days are worse.

Autism is a spectrum...not a gradient. We don't all have the exact same symptoms in greater or lesser severity - some have a really hard time with sensory stuff, but do OK socially, some don't have as many sensory issues, but have a really hard time socially, some people can make eye contact, some can't. You can really struggle in one area and be OK in other areas. You could well be someone who has only minor sensory issues but really struggles in some other area.

That does make a lot of sense. I actually owned and rode a loud motorcycle before and I guess I was a bit bothered by it but not enough to have to cover my eyes or anything. I guess I hated it when other people would keep revving their engines loud.

But I do suffer a lot with other things, like social anxiety and more sensitive to touch from others and taste/textures of certain foods just to name a few.

That does make a lot of sense. I actually owned and rode a loud motorcycle before and I guess I was a bit bothered by it but not enough to have to cover my eyes or anything. I guess I hated it when other people would keep revving their engines loud
It's often the case that we are bothered by noise other people make, but not our own. We can control/anticipate noise that we make, but not that of other people. Other people don't understand that, though.
I’ve never experienced anything that bad, though there is still a possibility I do have some sensitivity. Because I remember whenever a school band plays during a football game, whenever a drum was hit I would flinch but no one else did. Another thing would be I tense up in loud areas.

Even though I hate crowded areas, I am even interested in going to a rock concert for music I like. I’ve never been to a concert before but I think I could handle it.
I'm similar. I don't have severe sensory sensitivities as some people, but they aren't non-existent either. Loud noises can be painful, and as a child I was terrified of sudden noises/sensations such thunder claps, lightning or a balloon bursting. Also, I refused to wear certain clothing. Certain odd things bother me and a build-up of stress through sensory overload could cause a meltdown as a child, but I can tolerate a not-too-packed concert. Microphone feedback - that's a different matter argh!! It's often the little noises that bother me on a day to day basis, rather than the loud ones, as I can hear them (where other people don't notice them) and can't tune them out, and they drive me crazy... like the TV in the background, for example.

I am diagnosed - technically twice - but I don't have a sensitivity to sound in general. I AM sensitive to certain types of sound, but not all sound. Maybe watch this video about autistic hyper and hyposensitivities and see if it all makes a bit more sense to you :)

It's often the case that we are bothered by noise other people make, but not our own. We can control/anticipate noise that we make, but not that of other people. Other people don't understand that, though.

I'm similar. I don't have severe sensory sensitivities as some people, but they aren't non-existent either. Loud noises can be painful, and as a child I was terrified of sudden noises/sensations such thunder claps, lightning or a balloon bursting. Also, I refused to wear certain clothing. Certain odd things bother me and a build-up of stress through sensory overload could cause a meltdown as a child, but I can tolerate a not-too-packed concert. Microphone feedback - that's a different matter argh!! It's often the little noises that bother me on a day to day basis, rather than the loud ones, as I can hear them (where other people don't notice them) and can't tune them out, and they drive me crazy... like the TV in the background, for example.

Now that you mention it, I do get irritated by little sounds like if my bf is rocking in a recliner and it keeps making sounds. Sometimes I try to ask him to stop without trying to be annoying about it but sometimes I try to deal with it to the point I want to scream at him to stop lol

You are right, I think maybe I just didn’t notice how much I was more sensitive to sound than the average person

I am diagnosed - technically twice - but I don't have a sensitivity to sound in general. I AM sensitive to certain types of sound, but not all sound. Maybe watch this video about autistic hyper and hyposensitivities and see if it all makes a bit more sense to you :)

Is the opening scene meant to be a similation of how neurotypicals experience a forest?

Is the opening scene meant to be a similation of how neurotypicals experience a forest?

Not a simulation as such, more an artists impression of the difference between a regular view of the world and a hypersensitive view. We cannot see through another's eyes but we do know that people with hypersensitivities are often conscious of layers and details that other people aren't. The intro is intended to grab the attention and illustrate that hypersensitivities can be a blessing in the right circumstances and a curse in others.

Not a simulation as such, more an artists impression of the difference between a regular view of the world and a hypersensitive view. We cannot see through another's eyes but we do know that people with hypersensitivities are often conscious of layers and details that other people aren't. The intro is intended to grab the attention and illustrate that hypersensitivities can be a blessing in the right circumstances and a curse in others.
I would be interested in getting a neurotypical perspective on this as to how accurate the depiction actually is, though how people see the world, including neurotypicals see the world is a spectrum in itself.

I would be interested in getting a neurotypical perspective on this as to how accurate the depiction actually is, though how people see the world, including neurotypicals see the world is a spectrum in itself.

It would be impossible to judge. We can only perceive the world using the senses we have so any comparison would be lost on us as individuals.

To provide comparison - we've all seen ads for TVs that compare the picture on the new improved product to the competitor or the old tech which illustrate the difference. It cannot be accurate though. The fidelity of the image is dependent on the screen the ad is displayed on. If you watch the ad on the old or competitor's tech, how can you appreciate the clarity of the improved product?
The result is an artists impression in much the same fashion as the intro to that video. Someone with regular sensory range will see the two images and naturally say they see the world as the second, clearer image, because they have no way of knowing how much clearer they might see the same image with heightened senses or perception. Only by direct comparison of the subjective experiences of people with and without hypersensitivities can we get an impression of how they differ. Any visual or auditory representation is merely an approximation of an idea rather than an objective demonstration of actual experience.

I am diagnosed and while I believe I am not that sensitive to the point that I need to wear noise cancelling headphones all the time I am still sensitive to certain noises.Another thing to consider is you may not be aware of your own sensory issues like for example my husband has said to me that he notices certain things annoy me and believes that noise cancelling headphones for things like when I am on the bus or vacuuming would be a good thing.

Many people report that their vision becomes blurred at times due to sensory integration issues/overload, or they stop processing entirly and completely black out? but that doesn't happen to me. Or very rarely, it would take a lot to get to that point. Otherwise, I think I would have been diagnosed at a much younger age. For me, it's more about sensory sensitivity than sensory integration problems.

Many people report that their vision becomes blurred at times due to sensory integration issues/overload, or they stop processing entirly and completely black out? but that doesn't happen to me. Or very rarely, it would take a lot to get to that point. Otherwise, I think I would have been diagnosed at a much younger age. For me, it's more about sensory sensitivity than sensory integration problems.

I don't know if this is related, but in some rooms like in the gym when I played basketball practice as a kid for example my eyes would get a little blurry and I would somewhat feel like I was having an out of body experience. Maybe it was the lighting in there but I couldn't really focus while playing when in that state.

I would somewhat feel like I was having an out of body experience.
I've experienced this a few times, particularly when going from an environment with little sensory input to one with a lot of sensory input, like entering a supermarket at night. Actually, I have had the blurriness a couple of times too, but it's not something that affects me on a daily basis.

New Threads

Top Bottom