• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can feelings about long- term relationships change over time for aspie males?

• Yes

Votes: 22 95.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Shonda

Hello everyone. I am looking for some insight into my previous relationship. I am an NT and my partner was an aspie. We didn't work out. He told me he was not the right guy for me, and he could not give me what I wanted. He said sharing a bed was too hard for him. I tried to respect that the best I could. But I felt as though I lost a friend. Though I tried to remain friends with him (which he said he wanted), it didn't work out. We haven't spoken for a year and two months now. However, we have been broken up for almost 3 years.

He's since moved to another state and now I see he seems to be in a relationship with a new girl. He is much more upfront about liking her than he was with me. I was wondering from an aspie perspective, if things like that could change. For example, it was hard for him to share a bed 3 years ago... is it possible that is not the case for him today? Or is it similar to NT men who mature as they get older, and realize they want relationships later in life. I am feeling lost (and quite honestly, a little betrayed). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, feelings can change.
Yes, I believe feelings can change. However, based on what you have shared, I believe for your own peace of mind you'd be better off moving on. Trying to capture something that has been gone for so many years will slowly consume you and you can easily lose sight of other possibilities that may be out there for you.

Thanks for your insight. But I'm still not clear. Do you mean that for an aspie, their feelings about being unable to share a bed with someone can change, or that they can find someone who can make that feeling change? I am trying my best every day to move on. Thanks <3

It's a good, but very complex question, IMO.

As to whether one can work to better accommodate a partner in the neurological sense is anyone's guess. Though in the case of an Aspie self-awareness is a must, as well as a willingness of their NT partner to try to understand them. Factors that I lacked at the time in all of my relationships with NT females.

Though even then while I ask myself if things might have been different had I known, I honestly don't know.

And of course that while we may be on the spectrum, we can all be quite different regarding our traits and behaviors, as well as their individual "amplitude".

One other thing to consider. Behaviors and responses that may have nothing to do with Neurodiversity. That some relationships fail for more conventional reasons which may be clouded or eclipsed at the time.

Thanks for your insight. But I'm still not clear. Do you mean that for an aspie, their feelings about being unable to share a bed with someone can change, or that they can find someone who can make that feeling change? I am trying my best every day to move on. Thanks <3

Certainly, it is possible. It is also possible that he has found a partner who also doesn't care for sharing a bed.

It's a good, but very complex question, IMO.

As to whether one can work to better accommodate a partner in the neurological sense is anyone's guess. Though in the case of an Aspie self-awareness is a must, as well as a willingness of their NT partner to try to understand them. Factors that I lacked at the time in all of my relationships with NT females.

Though even then while I ask myself if things might have been different had I known, I honestly don't know.

And of course that while we may be on the spectrum, we can all be quite different regarding our traits and behaviors, as well as their individual "amplitude".

One other thing to consider. Behaviors and responses that may have nothing to do with Neurodiversity. That some relationships fail for more conventional reasons which may be clouded or eclipsed at the time.

This is a great response, though I am still pretty confused. I always thought that if it were hard for him to share a bed with someone, that it would always be so for him. I got the vibe, and would sometimes try to leave. When he finally told me this about him, I asked him why he would tell me not to leave. He said it was because he wanted me to stay at the time.

Looking back, I realize there were many times I didn't respect his boundaries, though I was unaware of it at the time. However, he did not do a very good job setting these boundaries, as he was afraid to hurt my feelings.

I can't help but wonder if his communication with this new person is better, or if his feelings about relationships have literally just changed in general.

If I like someone, I will overlook or forgive certain things that in other people will drive me absolutely crazy. Sleeping is one of those things. I generally dislike sharing a bed with men (even those I am dating and may be happy to sleep with), but if I'm really in love with someone (which is rare) then I just don't notice or respond to the same things. It's likely you were just not compatible. I wouldn't feel betrayed or hurt by it, as it isn't any reflection on you. I'm sure there will be men you date that you find you don't 'click' with after a while, even though they are otherwise lovely people. Sometimes that situation can lead to a close friendship (if you both feel the same way), but often it is just one person that doesn't feel the same level of attraction and you end up parting ways. I wouldn't overthink it. Just move on and find someone who is a better match. There are billions of other men out there.

Also, to be brutally honest, you likely dodged a bullet, as I've yet to find an NT partner that I could spend my life with. NTs and aspies tend to have drastically different needs and communication styles in a relationship, and after the honeymoon period is over there can be pretty significant issues in comparison to NT-NT or aspie-aspie partners. For me, it is like dating another species at times. I have all the usual relationship issues, but with the added problem of speaking an entirely different language. When I've dated aspie men, they just understand certain things automatically. With NT men, I have to try to explain everything (which isn't always possible and gets annoying/exhausting after a while) and even then they don't always get it, as they don't think the same way. Perhaps your ex has just found a fellow 'oddity' in his new partner.

Last edited:
This is a great response, though I am still pretty confused. I always thought that if it were hard for him to share a bed with someone, that it would always be so for him. I got the vibe, and would sometimes try to leave. When he finally told me this about him, I asked him why he would tell me not to leave. He said it was because he wanted me to stay at the time.

Looking back, I realize there were many times I didn't respect his boundaries, though I was unaware of it at the time. However, he did not do a very good job setting these boundaries, as he was afraid to hurt my feelings.

I can't help but wonder if his communication with this new person is better, or if his feelings about relationships have literally just changed in general.

Sharing a bed wasn't a difficulty for me personally. Though sharing an apartment at times could be challenging. One of my relationships presented some very basic issues given we worked together. I still needed some degree of solitude that I never got.

Maybe in your former partner's case sleep itself was his form of required solitude. It's possible, I suppose. IMO anything that gets in the way of our solitude could amount to a "deal-breaker" in our closest relationships.

Funny to think I suddenly got a memory of my NT grandparents' bedroom. With twin beds side by side. Whatever works I suppose.

Last edited:
If I like someone, I will overlook or forgive certain things that in other people will drive me absolutely crazy. Sleeping is one of those things. I generally dislike sharing a bed with men (even those I am dating and may be happy to sleep with), but if I'm really in love with someone (which is rare) then I just don't notice or respond to the same things. It's likely you were just not compatible. I wouldn't feel betrayed or hurt by it, as it isn't any reflection on you. I'm sure there will be men you date that you find you don't 'click' with after a while, even though they are otherwise lovely people. Sometimes that situation can lead to a close friendship (if you both feel the same way), but often it is just one person that doesn't feel the same level of attraction and you end up parting ways. I wouldn't overthink it. Just move on and find someone who is a better match. There are billions of other men out there.

Also, to be brutally honest, you likely dodged a bullet, as I've yet to find an NT partner that I could spend my life with. NTs and aspies tend to have drastically different needs and communication styles in a relationship, and after the honeymoon period is over there can be pretty significant issues in comparison to NT-NT or aspie-aspie partners. For me, it is like dating another species at times.

Thanks for your reply. I did honestly feel like sometimes, it was hard for him, but because he liked me (at the time) he went along with it. I spend too much for my time wondering what he feels for this other girl. She is NT also.

In terms of communication styles in an NT- AS relationship, I'm happy to give space as long as I know how much or how long. The problem arises when I do not know how much or for how long.

I think @Judge explained it best, "And of course that while we may be on the spectrum, we can all be quite different regarding our traits and behaviors, as well as their individual "amplitude".

"

Being an Aspie doesn't mean we're incapable of having feelings, changing feelings, developing or having opinions, etc.
He did do a great job at responding. I do understand that aspies can have feelings, change feelings, etc. It's just for me, as an NT, him not being able to share a bed, seemed like something fundamental and unlikely to change. I am now realizing that this is wrong.

Sharing a bed wasn't a difficulty for me personally. Though sharing an apartment at times could be challenging. One of my relationships presented some very basic issues given we worked together. I still needed some degree of solitude that I never got.

Maybe in your former partner's case sleep itself was his form of required solitude. It's possible, I suppose. IMO anything that gets in the way of our solitude could amount to a "deal-breaker" in our closest relationships.

Solitude was a pretty big thing for my ex as well. I could tell that sometimes, he just needed to completely decompress from his surroundings. Something which he could not do if I was there.

Solitude was a pretty big thing for my ex as well. I could tell that sometimes, he just needed to completely decompress from his surroundings. Something which he could not do if I was there.

It's pretty basic stuff for most of us. Though what to me seems a major challenge, is for an NT partner to be able to grasp that it is not to be taken personally. Admittedly easier said than done. ;)

It's pretty basic stuff for most of us. Though what to me seems a major challenge, is for an NT partner to be able to grasp that it is not to be taken personally. Admittedly easier said than done. ;)
I definitely do this, though my ex ALWAYS told me it was nothing personal. How can I not take it personal though? He left me saying he could not be in another relationship and I held onto that. Three years later, and he is with someone else... I know I need to work on myself.

I definitely do this, though my ex ALWAYS told me it was nothing personal. How can I not take it personal though? He left me saying he could not be in another relationship and I held onto that. Three years later, and he is with someone else... I know I need to work on myself.

That's why it's a "challenge" for you.

For what it's worth, I've run into people before who put a great deal of emphasis on the quality of their sleep, and having no reflection of their neurological profile.

Sadly for you it would seem that your former partner put a premium on it, and that for him it may have been his ultimate manifestation of solitude. Something that proved for him to be a "deal-breaker" in the relationship.

In my own case, I would have simply opted to leave home for a few hours. I never gave much thought to the solitude of sleep. Go figure. Though I can't help but wonder if this was a rare trait for much of anyone on the spectrum. Maybe someone else can chime in to the contrary. I just couldn't imagine telling a lover to "sleep elsewhere" myself.

That's why it's a "challenge" for you.

For what it's worth, I've run into people before who put a great deal of emphasis on the quality of their sleep, and having no reflection of their neurological profile.

Sadly for you it would seem that your former partner put a premium on it, and that for him it may have been his ultimate manifestation of solitude. Something that proved for him to be a "deal-breaker" in the relationship.

In my own case, I would have simply opted to leave home for a few hours. I never gave much thought to the solitude of sleep. Go figure. Though I can't help but wonder if this was a rare trait for much of anyone on the spectrum. Maybe someone else can chime in to the contrary. I just couldn't imagine telling a lover to "sleep elsewhere" myself.

I'm really dwelling on what it was all about, though I know I should not. It's hard. Maybe I'll never know. It is even a possibility that he doesn't know (?)... I guess my feelings of betrayal also stem from him saying relationships weren't for him in the first place. I always figured that if he changed his mind on the matter, we'd try to make it work again. I think this is where the "he's just not that into you" mantra needs to come into play.

I'm really dwelling on what it was all about, though I know I should not. It's hard. Maybe I'll never know. It is even a possibility that he doesn't know (?)... I guess my feelings of betrayal also stem from him saying relationships weren't for him in the first place. I always figured that if he changed his mind on the matter, we'd try to make it work again. I think this is where the "he's just not that into you" mantra needs to come into play.

Well, I suspect most of us tend to dwell on rejection. I know I do as well. I still think of a lost love that occurred more than 30 years ago. The one who I worked with as well as lived with. It happens.

About all you can do is to move on and hope you do in fact find someone who is very much "into you".

He found someone he likes better.

It does not mean his feeling changed or that he changed, it means he found someone for whom he has more feelings and ones that mesh with him better.

Feelings over time in a long-term relationship can change for anyone and everyone, regardless of whether or not they're on a spectrum.

Think about the complexity of a relationship.

A long-term relationship [be they married or not] between two people relies on lots of very specific things to match up as precisely as possible.
  1. Your wants and needs
  2. Their ability, interest, and willingness to fulfill your wants and needs
  3. Their wants and needs
  4. Your ability, interest, and willingness to fulfill their wants and needs
That's a rather tall order, since most people grow and change, meaning that their wants and needs change, as well as their ability, interest, and willingness to fulfill the needs of the other person. I suspect that these changes still occur as we get older, but that change becomes less frequent over time.

I'm not the same person that I was 7 years ago. Few people are.

To make it more complicated, the more we get to know another person, the more our opinions and feelings may shift. They had a little giggle that was once really cute, but over time one might realize it's a manipulation exercise, so it's no longer cute.

But nothing bad has to happen between the two people in order to fall apart. One person could have a personal challenge or a life experience that changes them, and this results in a change in how they perceive the relationship.

Human relationships are very complicated.

In America culture, many believe it to be a good idea to promise eternal love to another person. I find it ridiculous to assert the idea that I'll deliver a specific emotion [love] to her for an amount of time [forever] that extends WAY beyond how long I might actually live. And to make it worse, I promise to never extend that feeling to another person, ever. It's romantic, but it's also ridiculous.

It's a promise that nobody can honestly make, because we change, and the person we're with also changes. The chances of these changes remaining in synch and being compatible is very slim.

Maybe he had a problem with you, or maybe the problem was him.

If he moved on, then that's his business. Whatever the reason, he felt it had to be done. When one person feels this way, it is impossible to carry on.

Maybe there was nothing wrong with you at all. But if you believe that you have an issue that caused a problem, then this is a good time for some self-work and self-love. For not everyone is capable of having a relationship, and the reasons for that are wide and varied.

I've been in a successful relationship for 20 years. I don't view it as something that completes me. Instead, I see it as a positive enhancement. That's not to say we don't have issues.

For example, she's a bit of a hoarder, not in the way where she collects paint buckets of her own feces in the garage. It's more like boxes and boxes of stuff that might not be important, and week after week she talks about how she "needs to go through it all."

Based on our history, I am certain that this mess will remain until I do something about it. But then she'll have a ton of questions about whether or not I threw out this or that, and she really "wanted to go through it" before I dealt with it.

I already dealt with it once, by having a garbage company clear out one of our storage units. Paid them $600 to deal with it. That's a lot of stuff. Just stuff.

When I was single, I lived quite differently. My apartment would look like a model apartment that's meant for showing others. Once, after I moved into an apartment, my mother came to look at it. She said, "This is nice. When are you moving in?"

Who knows, maybe in the next few months or years, this might become a deal-breaker and I'll have to decide whether or not I put out an ultimatum, or I just make it easier and leave. She knows it's an issue for me, as we've talked about it over the decades. I'm tired of seeing a living room that has boxes stacked to the ceiling, with some boxes set up like a temporary desk.

Or maybe I'll be able to help her deal with all of this faster, so that I can breathe a bit more easily. There are added complications to the relationship, which would take a book to cover, so a departure could be instigated by something else.

Right now, her boxes and messes are an issue, but it doesn't weigh against the positives. She's very caring, considerate, and is one of my most fierce defenders. We genuinely work together on many issues, and have been through things that would destroy most relationships.

It's really anybody's guess as to what will happen. We might last another 15 years, until one of us dies, or we might last another 15 weeks.

No guarantees. 20 years in, and even I cannot make a promise.

Feelings over time in a long-term relationship can change for anyone and everyone, regardless of whether or not they're on a spectrum.

Think about the complexity of a relationship.

A long-term relationship [be they married or not] between two people relies on lots of very specific things to match up as precisely as possible.
  1. Your wants and needs
  2. Their ability, interest, and willingness to fulfill your wants and needs
  3. Their wants and needs
  4. Your ability, interest, and willingness to fulfill their wants and needs
That's a rather tall order, since most people grow and change, meaning that their wants and needs change, as well as their ability, interest, and willingness to fulfill the needs of the other person. I suspect that these changes still occur as we get older, but that change becomes less frequent over time.

I'm not the same person that I was 7 years ago. Few people are.

To make it more complicated, the more we get to know another person, the more our opinions and feelings may shift. They had a little giggle that was once really cute, but over time one might realize it's a manipulation exercise, so it's no longer cute.

But nothing bad has to happen between the two people in order to fall apart. One person could have a personal challenge or a life experience that changes them, and this results in a change in how they perceive the relationship.

Human relationships are very complicated.

In America culture, many believe it to be a good idea to promise eternal love to another person. I find it ridiculous to assert the idea that I'll deliver a specific emotion [love] to her for an amount of time [forever] that extends WAY beyond how long I might actually live. And to make it worse, I promise to never extend that feeling to another person, ever. It's romantic, but it's also ridiculous.

It's a promise that nobody can honestly make, because we change, and the person we're with also changes. The chances of these changes remaining in synch and being compatible is very slim.

Maybe he had a problem with you, or maybe the problem was him.

If he moved on, then that's his business. Whatever the reason, he felt it had to be done. When one person feels this way, it is impossible to carry on.

Maybe there was nothing wrong with you at all. But if you believe that you have an issue that caused a problem, then this is a good time for some self-work and self-love. For not everyone is capable of having a relationship, and the reasons for that are wide and varied.

I've been in a successful relationship for 20 years. I don't view it as something that completes me. Instead, I see it as a positive enhancement. That's not to say we don't have issues.

For example, she's a bit of a hoarder, not in the way where she collects paint buckets of her own feces in the garage. It's more like boxes and boxes of stuff that might not be important, and week after week she talks about how she "needs to go through it all."

Based on our history, I am certain that this mess will remain until I do something about it. But then she'll have a ton of questions about whether or not I threw out this or that, and she really "wanted to go through it" before I dealt with it.

I already dealt with it once, by having a garbage company clear out one of our storage units. Paid them $600 to deal with it. That's a lot of stuff. Just stuff.

When I was single, I lived quite differently. My apartment would look like a model apartment that's meant for showing others. Once, after I moved into an apartment, my mother came to look at it. She said, "This is nice. When are you moving in?"

Who knows, maybe in the next few months or years, this might become a deal-breaker and I'll have to decide whether or not I put out an ultimatum, or I just make it easier and leave. She knows it's an issue for me, as we've talked about it over the decades. I'm tired of seeing a living room that has boxes stacked to the ceiling, with some boxes set up like a temporary desk.

Or maybe I'll be able to help her deal with all of this faster, so that I can breathe a bit more easily. There are added complications to the relationship, which would take a book to cover, so a departure could be instigated by something else.

Right now, her boxes and messes are an issue, but it doesn't weigh against the positives. She's very caring, considerate, and is one of my most fierce defenders. We genuinely work together on many issues, and have been through things that would destroy most relationships.

It's really anybody's guess as to what will happen. We might last another 15 years, until one of us dies, or we might last another 15 weeks.

No guarantees. 20 years in, and even I cannot make a promise.

I really appreciate this insight. Yes, I do believe that it is crazy to promise someone an eternity of everlasting love. However, some men assume that all women want that. There is nothing wrong with having a honeymoon phase, a relationship phase, and then even a best friend phase. Maybe you can't promise each other forever, but you can promise to try for it. But if she doesn't respect your need for a clean space and organization, then that is not fair to you. I know it is not something I could live with. I wish you the best of luck.

Yes, I do believe that it is crazy to promise someone an eternity of everlasting love. However, some men assume that all women want that.

I've never met anyone who says they want promised love for only 20 years.

It's bigger than "some" men assuming it. In American culture, it's ingrained into us all. She's a princess, so you have to be that white knight who sweeps her off her feet and gives her "happily ever after."

Gotta buy a house, and a new car, and have 2.5 children, and a dog, and a picket fence. It's all part of the "American Dream," where you buy into it, literally with money and debt, only to later find out it's a fantasy. Hence the use of "Dream."

Even worse is the expectation that this be delivered, especially when girls are raised to believe they are princesses.

Both girls and boys get brainwashed into this nonsense.

Our society is suffering the results of these expectations.

New Threads

Top Bottom