• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can Eating Too Healthy Be Unhealthy for the Blood?

1ForAll

V.I.P Member
I am trying to figure out if my healthy diet could be making my blood unhealthy, or if the nurse practitioner could be instead right thinking it's some rare genetic issue causing my blood platelet levels to be lower and enlarged, the latter which I am skeptical of, so I need some opinions here from those with medical, genetic, nutrition, biology and/or science backgrounds or with special interests there.

The dilemma is I got my bloodwork results back, and it said I had low platelet levels, under 90,000 platelets per microliter when the range should be between 140,000 and 450,000. I do not discount those results and the resulting thrombocytopenia diagnosis as I have bled much more, longer, and/or easier from past dental issues and from a non-serious skin cancer surgery, but I am doubting the secondary diagnosis of a rare inherited disorder, called Bernard-Soulier disease.

The reason I have doubts is because the chances of one having that condition is less than 1 per million, a condition which also sees very enlarged platelets besides the reduced number. Apparently the lab or whoever did a secondary test after seeing the lower, out of range platelets, sent a report saying the platelets were gigantic, which made that medical provider I am seeing call me to say I had that rare condition, because of the thrombocytopenia.

After further research, I have my suspicions. I have a twin, and he said he never had a low platelet count with enlarged platelets, nor has any other family member had such issues. As well, I'd have a better chance of being struck by lightning, 1 in 500,000, than getting that rare condition. I personally think this could be another case of medical persons not looking deeper, but wanting quick answers to things. They never asked me certain relevant questions, or followed up with other helpful information I gave prior, and which is in the medical record, that could have lead to another conclusion.

So, here is my theory. My thinking is the combination of having daily healthy oils (2 -3 servings of olive oil a day) over the last few years or so with taking Niacin (1000 plus mg a day) wanting to be very healthy and to have an ideal blood lipid profile, and as I had parents who died early from unhealthy eating and many heart issues, could be causing too much anti-coagulation of the blood, and perhaps cause platelet clumping, which the lab technician misinterpreted perhaps as giant platelets?

I just assumed consuming the mentioned amounts of olive oil and niacin during the day and avoiding sugary foods, saturated fat foods, trans fats, and sodium, would help my health and blood lipid profiles, which it did in ways, as my 90 LDL, 62 HDL and 170ish Total Cholesteral all seem ideal, and my blood pressure too. But, that contrasts with the unhealthier platelet levels and size, which concerns me only if genetic in origin, and not caused from nutrition/supplements.

So, the question I have is, to any who can shed insights there, or after any further scientific research which I do not comprehend, is it possible that those daily healthy oils combined with Niacin could be the reasons for the reduced platelets and enlarged platelets? My basic research I can only understand just says Mediterranean diets or anticoagulants can cause on occasion lower platelet levels, but it does not say it causes enlarged platelets in conjunction with this. And my research said, when you take some anti-coagulation agent with another anticoagulant that could affect platelet activity or levels even more, but again it does not mention causing gigantic platelets.

So, I am not sure what to think there. To trust my opinion/gut instinct, where I am leaning that nutrition is likely the cause based on the reasoning I gave, or to trust the medical providers' belief it is genetics? It's relevant the answer, as if it's likely diet related, I can change that, by reducing or eliminating those substances and supplements, but I could take some risks if the blood profile bad cholesterol levels went higher again. Or hold off on that, until I addressed my concerns with the NP, but that I know them well enough that they'd say, "Huh, well just try and see what reducing that does."

I guess this is sort of a vent post too, as he/she missed the skin cancer on the left outside corner of my eyelid years ago that would not go away and after it changed color and shape after a year of just recommended daily hot compresses, with no recommending a biopsy, thinking it must be some chalazion, and they missed the frozen shoulder I had, thinking it was just some sprain, but which worsened and led to six months of not able to lift it with severe pain. I think I need to find another medical provider, as they seem not concerned even with the 8-month lump under the left side of my hip either. Did not even refer me to a dermatologist, as usual. I guess free medical insurance gets me not much these days.

That is a long post & I skimmed some parts of it.
Did your doctor offer an opinion? Did you tell her or him that you’ve been taking Niacin in that amount?

That is a long post & I skimmed some parts of it.
Did your doctor offer an opinion? Did you tell her or him that you’ve been taking Niacin in that amount?

Yes, I told the NP in the past I was taking that daily for up to a few years. Their diagnostic opinions were based on the recent lab report and supplemental report, after further blood analysis, and who knows if they consulted with an MD too. Their diagnosis was the thrombocytopenia and suspected Bernard- Soulier Disease, the latter of which I would dispute until I got more clear answers after further talks there with another medical professional if need be, and after any trial by error change of diet attempts.

Last edited:
I hope your twin gives you support. Dealing with the medical system is daunting at the least. Keep us posted. ‘Best to you.

"Too Healthy" seems like an oxymoron to me.

Does it mean "more healthy than what is healthy...?"
full

Do you happen to use turmeric/curcumin on a regular basis, or, in large doses? If so, it acts as a blood thinner. Perhaps, it might lower platelets, as well? Circumin is the medicinal component of turmeric root. Just thought I'd mention, in case you happen to take it.

(I am not a doctor, nor in the medical field in any capacity)

I hope your twin gives you support. Dealing with the medical system is daunting at the least. ‘Best to you.

Yes, him and I always talk medical issues. He's in a different state, and agreed I should at minimum cut back 50% on that food item and supplement mentioned, telling me I should then request from my medical provider to re-test the blood again in about six weeks. He knows more about nutrition and physical issues than I, as it's his hyper-focus, whereas my intense interests are more with mental health and behavioral health issues. Regardless, we do not assume doctors have all the answers. What we do not know we research, get others' advice and use analysis or common sense. Will update accordingly. Thanks.

"Too Healthy" seems like an oxymoron to me.

Does it mean "more healthy than what is healthy...?"
full

Too healthy to me in the context of, or from the information given, just means to me obsessing so much about nutrition and eating healthy that I consume too much of a good thing, that could cause some resulting health concern. I mean, taking niacin and very healthy oils in moderation and when one has heart issues or unhealthy blood lipid profiles could be good, and if a competent doctor recommends such. But, what if one was healthy to begin with, but consumed so much of that stuff that it reduced the platelets too much, or caused irregular sizes, or caused some other health issue? Studies only go so far, as I do not think they do studies for everything, like for healthier persons taking those two items at the same time over extended duration and of varying quantities.

Last edited:
Do you happen to use turmeric/curcumin on a regular basis, or, in large doses? If so, it acts as a blood thinner. Perhaps, it might lower platelets, as well? Circumin is the medicinal component of turmeric root. Just thought I'd mention, in case you happen to take it.

(I am not a doctor, nor in the medical field in any capacity)

I read about that, as I am into using other spices time to time, but those are not two I consume in foods. Also, I read alcohol can reduce platelet amounts, but I do not do not do that either.

Are you having clotting problems? That's what both conditions cause.

Thrombocytopenia
just means too few platelets and there are bunch of causes.

Thrombocytopenia | NHLBI, NIH

I doubt if it is from eating too healthy. The Mediterranean Diet seems to reduce the incidence of it. The study authors did state that there was a number of potential conflicts of interest in who funded it.

Mediterranean Diet Maintained Platelet Count within a Healthy Range and Decreased Thrombocytopenia-Related Mortality Risk: A Randomized Controlled Trial - PubMed

Giant Platelets
are generally caused by a recessive gene. Recessives can hide for many generations. Unless that twin is identical, there's only a 1 in 4 chance they'd share the condition with you. The next obvious step is a genetic test.

Giant platelet disorder - Wikipedia

I am certainly no doctor. You need to get a second opinion.

Last edited:
It's good to get a 2nd Doctor's opinion sometimes. This is probably one of those cases as blood disorders are nothing to delay getting checked out fully. Do mention your dietary habits.

I had low and deformed (I believe) platelets due to Leukemia and even in remission it has taken years for the numbers to get up to 140000. I hung around 75000-85000 for quite some time. But the Doctors say these lower levels are just my new normal after bone marrow/stem cell transplant.

I don't think your case is cancer btw. I think other things would have flagged in your blood work.

I initially posted another reply, but I deleted it. You really need to get a second opinion. It's important. Even if you are sick, and you choose not to get treated, at least you'll know for sure.

Very interesting. Can you decrease niacin? I have read side effects with this. Just an idea. I would discontinue and then go for test. Then you can get back on it.

Yup, you can be dx incorrectly. And is there a chance there is a issue with the lab? Is it read by human eye? Or a machine reads the results? I am in no way a doctor, and this does not hold me responsible should you start eating donuts and then your platelets look like old fashion donuts. I am outta here.

Are you having clotting problems? That's what both conditions cause.

Thrombocytopenia
just means too few platelets and there are bunch of causes.

Thrombocytopenia | NHLBI, NIH

I doubt if it is from eating too healthy. The Mediterranean Diet seems to reduce the incidence of it. The study authors did state that there was a number of potential conflicts of interest in who funded it.

Mediterranean Diet Maintained Platelet Count within a Healthy Range and Decreased Thrombocytopenia-Related Mortality Risk: A Randomized Controlled Trial - PubMed

Giant Platelets
are generally caused by a recessive gene. Recessives can hide for many generations. Unless that twin is identical, there's only a 1 in 4 chance they'd share the condition with you. The next obvious step is a genetic test.

Giant platelet disorder - Wikipedia

I am certainly no doctor. You need to get a second opinion.

Thanks for that information. Yes, we are identical twins, so that confuses me more. He has never had platelets out of range, or gigantic platelets which the findings said, too, and he has yearly blood tests and checks out all his data meticulously. I did see several websites though that said extra virgin olive oil used over longer periods could cause reduced platelets as it acts as a mild blood anti-coagulation agent, and when combined with other such agents, which I think Niacin is one too, then that could reduce such even more. As well, two sites said mistakes occur sometimes in determining if clumped together enlarged platelets are actually giant platelets.

As for blood clotting, yes, that has been a problem for the past four to five years, during dental procedures and that skin removal surgery procedure where I had to return to the hospital as it would not stop bleeding after stitched up. Also, during a hernia surgery, I was severely bruised down in the groin region, which my medical provider could not explain, and that confused me then. Even shaving on the face area produces slightly more bleeding than usual. Things make sense now though, as that could be related as well. So, yes, I will get another medical opinion on this, even I have to pay out of my pocket as the current one misses everything.

Very interesting. Can you decrease niacin? I have read side effects with this. Just an idea. I would discontinue and then go for test. Then you can get back on it.

Yup, you can be dx incorrectly. And is there a chance there is a issue with the lab? Is it read by human eye? Or a machine reads the results? I am in no way a doctor, and this does not hold me responsible should you start eating donuts and then your platelets look like old fashion donuts. I am outta here.

I am unsure what the lab does, to determine those results and findings. I will give them a call, if I cannot get the med persons to give me more explanation and to clear up my questions. I think I still will eat healthy stuff, but try to avoid the niacin and reduce the healthier oils. Maybe try more fruits and vegetables to replace those.

I initially posted another reply, but I deleted it. You really need to get a second opinion. It's important. Even if you are sick, and you choose not to get treated, at least you'll know for sure.
Thanks. I agree. The good news is I do not worry about too many things, but yeah, I rather know what is causing this. I can rule things out by trial and error, too, or verify, by changing the diet temporarily and then retesting the blood.

Are those just representative samples and you are "too" healthy in many other ways?

In a post longer ago, I mentioned my healthy diet in consuming healthy oils, fiber foods, whole grains though debate is there whether such are healthy at all, and in avoiding foods with sugar, sodium, trans fat and sat. fats. I admit I am not a fruits and vegetable eater. I do exercises regularly, and do not smoke, drink. As well, I was/am into daily CBT techniques, since thirty years ago. In essence, everything my parents did not do, I did. Maybe rebelling against them in a way, but likely more just learning what not to do from watching and listening to them and their mistakes or worse ways there. My birth family does not have a history of cancers, just non-serious skin cancer for my father, but they have a history of serious heart issues, and stroke. So, I am vigilant for trying to reduce my risks there.

Last edited:
It's good to get a 2nd Doctor's opinion sometimes. This is probably one of those cases as blood disorders are nothing to delay getting checked out fully. Do mention your dietary habits.

I had low and deformed (I believe) platelets due to Leukemia and even in remission it has taken years for the numbers to get up to 140000. I hung around 75000-85000 for quite some time. But the Doctors say these lower levels are just my new normal after bone marrow/stem cell transplant.

I don't think your case is cancer btw. I think other things would have flagged in your blood work.

In another post recently I said I did not have a history of family cancer, other than the non-severe skin , basal cell, but I just read about leukemia after seeing your post too. I do see a few possible signs of that, but many signs missing. As I mentioned, I do bleed and bruise easier. And I do have tiny red spots spaced apart on my skin, all over, and have soreness in my left wrist bone. Cannot even do a pushup now (last few weeks), when easily do forty at a time. So, I need to explore that diagnosis to be safe, as a few signs and symptoms are there. It's better to figure things out, rule things in or out now, than later. So, thanks for your post.

Last edited:
My first thoughts are to get a referral to a hematologist and do a diagnostic genetics test. Right now, you have some evidence leaning in a particular direction, but it's still insufficient to come up with an answer. The diagnostic algorithm has not run its course yet.

New Threads

Top Bottom