• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can anyone relate?

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
I'm somewhat uncoordinated and tend to drop things easily. Coupled with that, I inherited a condition of a tremor in my hands from my mother's side of the family. This means I go through cell phones like most people go through clothing.

The previous weekend, I was walking downstairs while holding my phone and a tremor hit. Sally I lost control of my phone and smashed it up but good. This is why I quite literally go from prepaid carrier to prepaid carrier. I just go to the carrier that offers a free phone. I don't have the money to buy a phone right now. I seem to have a knack for breaking phones even with cases on them.

I really would like a better phone but there's no point in getting a good one only to have it break on a fall. I wish there was a known treatment for the occasional hand tremors I get. Next time I will be smart and leave my phone in my pocket when ascending or descending stairs. My new carrier is terrible and I'm sick with them for 90 fairs until I can go back to my old one and qualify for a new phone. Gaaaaa! Being uncoordinated is so frustrating!

There is a treatment / drug which will prevent tremors but i can't recommend it with good conscience.
A broken phone, something that's not part of you is much better than a broken thyroid, nervous system, whatever else.

I've always been clumsy and uncoordinated. With age, I have more tremors.
My suggestion - You know how cameras and binoculars come with a neck strap? Make a little holder with a strap for your phone.

I’m very clumsy and uncoordinated,I tend to drop things a lot and easily trip over things,i get annoyed with how clumsy I am and I always have bruises that I don’t know how I ended up getting.

Get a better phone case, is the best advice I can give. If you have one that's NOT preventing drop damage, it's a terrible case and a waste of whatever you paid for it.

I have an iPhone myself, and those things shatter if you look at them too hard (and since it's Apple, they're probably designed that way on purpose). But I have a case for it (not a cheapo one, but a GOOD one) and I could drop it on a tile floor and all it's going to do is bounce. Same thing will happen if I drop it down the stairs. Same with my iPad... I've dropped that thing MANY times (well, usually by managing to knock it off of whatever table it's sitting on) and it's undamaged. Heck, it ends up hitting the floor probably once per day. The thing functions as an alarm for me to wake up, but I'll reach over, hit the button to mute it, and manage to knock it off the table almost every time. Everyone downstairs can tell when I'm getting close to wakeup time if they hear the THUD of that thing hitting the floor.

There's usually a practical solution to things like this. Just a matter of spotting what it is. And in plenty of cases, that solution is "use a less terrible X"

Seriously though. Phone case. A GOOD one. And research the purchase first. Chances are you can find things like videos of people putting these things to the test, to show you, the consumer, if they're good or not.

I have a hand-strap attached to my phone so if/when my hand decides to randomly jerk, my phone cant go further then then 10cm of strap that its attached to! Its saved my phone many many many times from being dropped in situations where it would most certainly have been broken. Any cheap camera/phone strap could work for you, mines just attached to my phones case (the case is attached to my phone securely, so it cant come off).

I agree that the best solution would be to have the phone on a strap round your neck, or to have a better protective case for it. Perhaps change phone brand. I have an old Samsung Galaxy Ace, dropped it multiple times and it hasn't broken, but I'm probably just lucky with that.

I don't have a tremor, but do drop things a lot - not really bad, I don't have dyspraxia, just probably a bit more than the average person.

I'm clumsey and I have a wrist strap attached to the phone case.
It has saved dropping it many times, but, also make sure the case is a good durable one also.
Best advice as others have stated.

Thank you for all of your input. I think I'll get a wrist strap. The phone is a bit heavy to have around my neck and that would draw unwanted attention. I will also invest in a better case! Cell phones are an endless source of frustration. It would be nice to have one last longer than 3 months.

Thank you for all of your input. I think I'll get a wrist strap. The phone is a bit heavy to have around my neck and that would draw unwanted attention. I will also invest in a better case! Cell phones are an endless source of frustration. It would be nice to have one last longer than 3 months.
Matt vs old Nokia 3310

Have they invented the wrist watch phone yet? That would be perfect.

Yes. I've got one and they're remarkably cheap. Battery life is limited and the small screen size isn't practical for much, but they're fun and useful.

Lanyards are easy to come by which thread through a premade hole on the corner of many (but not all) phones or stick to the phone/case with a supplied adhesive pad.a You can also get self adhesive folding rings, which you stick to the back and thread your finger through whilst holding your
phone making it much more difficult to drop.

rBVaI1lJUG6AOVwIAAGiDfvqYwY537.jpg

For me, I shattered quite a few devices. My CAT B15 was the only one that lasted, 8 drops and submerging in water (It's too old now)

Back when I used to work as a field service technician, our company provided us with "work phones". It was a extra heavy duty cell phone and they were really tough. I had mine on my belt all of the time and it took a beating. They were nicknamed "the brick". However, they were a little larger than most phones. Maybe by now they make extra heavy duty cell phones that are smaller.

Actually I had an ABS and silicone case for my last phone. I didn't like it cos it was bulky, but it bounced of a tiled floor twice with no damage to the phone.

Yes, get a good case or some kind of teather. I've broken lots of phones and tablets, but mainly in meltdowns, not due to tremors or being uncoordinated. Hope you find something to help.

New Threads

Top Bottom