• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can anyone identify with these symptoms?

Mommabear16

Okay , I didn’t know what to title this . Short of the story is my son is going through a few evaluations because he’s been having unexplained and extreme fits. He is 2.5 years old and has always been a very busy boy . Recently he has started toe walking , making swishing sounds in his mouth and developed a sensitivey to loud noises. He’s also been playing with the pitches of his voice a lot.

So far we have had one evaluation and these are the behaviours she’s concerned about. He showed repetitive behaviour (like nodding his head back and forth but it’s quick and he easily comes out of it). He recently started stuttering (although it can be very normal at his age).
He plays very aggressively with peers and is able to hyper focus . He never seems to have an appetite, unless eating on the move . He will make a sound to block out loud noises or become frantic and start crying.
The therapist is straying away from the autism diagnosis and leaning towards just a prosessing disorder and possibly adhd. Her reason being is that his communication, interaction, fine motor skills are normal or above average.
We completed a screening form he passed with very low risk, so she has me doing a 3 year old screening test now . I’m scared of missing a diagnosis and having him struggle with some of this stuff later in life . I know he’s having some issues and I’m leaning towards maybe high functioning.
My reason is because he didn’t have much eye contact as a baby and he took longer than a year to respond to his name . He also jumps when excited all the time.
But at the same time he is missing a lot of key symptoms of high functioning... or are they so mild we are missing them ?
Has anyone gone through this ?

My son is low functioning and he displayed a lot of those traits at that age, the only major difference is he didn't speak.(still doesn't at 6) It's a huge spectrum and you don't need to have ALL the traits to be on it. I am no doctor, but maybe see another if you don't think the diagnosis is correct. Also one evaluation or visit is in no way enough to give any decent diagnosis of anything in my opinion.

New Threads

Top Bottom