• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can Amazon dot reduce the amount of communication required?

felines are superior

Can Alexa Amazon dot or other such technologies reduce the amount of communication required of a person? By way of ordering pizza for you and making your doctor appointments?

I don't like talking on the phone or face to face. Find it exhausting at times.

Last edited:
Can Alexa Amazon dot or other such technologies reduce the amount of communication required of a person? By way of ordering pizza for you and making your doctor appointments?

You can program your Amazon devices to only do what you ask her to.

I use mine purely for playing songs.

As for Amazon in general, you can control how much email they send you in the settings of your account.

I'd rather communicate with people as little as possible. This forum is an exception because we all have some things in common, I like communicating on this forum and others like that one, but communicating with total strangers on the phone or face to face is a bit unpleasant.

I don't like talking on the phone or face to face. Find it exhausting at times.

I don't think so, no one would take it seriously a robotic voice calling, specially by the specific fact that it can't answer outline questions slightly parallel to the main call purpose, such as asking for preference on pineapple pieces on pizza or something like that.

I would suggest you to start using delivery apps instead so you won't feel exhausted.

For years most people have been able to order food online from both takeaways and supermarkets. I've also been able to book doctors appointments online in the UK online for years. In short I don't need this special technology, to me it's just a gimmick apart from for some disabled people and typing in the traditional way is still much more accurate for me, but voice recognition has been around for years too if I really wanted to use it.

In fact I tried voice recognition for the first time in the 1980s and speech synthesis in the early 1980s which was surprisingly quite good even then. Yes the technology has improved, but speech recognition has still got a long way to go before it can understand people as well as a person can without constantly making mistakes, a limited vocabulary can greatly help, E.g. a limited set of specific commands, but if it needs to recognise most words in the dictionary, many of which that sound similar, it will really struggle. If you were for instance setting an alarm on the Amazon device, the system would then only expect a limited number of words to differentiate against after it knew you were setting an alarm, so this will be fairly successful. If you are taking a dictation however you need a certain amount of common sense and the artificial intelligence equivalent is far from adequate at the time of writing, for instance a computer will often struggle to know which spelling of a word to use in the current context, E.g. should it write "deer" or "dear", "their" or "there", "B. Wright" or "be white" or even "bee write" Etc., many AIs will attempt to choose the more likely word spelling based on the words before it, but it will still often get it wrong because an AI won't have a full understanding of what is being written. It will also often struggle a lot more if you don't talk carefully to it at the same volume without changing expression and background noise can be an issue too (a headset can help).

From 1986:
So you can see the technology is far from new and speech synthesis was around a lot earlier still, obviously we didn't have the Internet in those days however, although there was other much less used information networks even in the 1980s. This speech recognition system even attempts to differentiate between words that sound the same with different meanings and spellings by using a limited AI. They however make the system appear so much better than it is, in reality it will constantly make mistakes and for a reasonable typist, using the keyboard will be much faster as it still is even today.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom