• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Camping

Jordy

Does anyone here go camping in the wilderness? I don't mean with an rv but just in a 1-2 person tent. I want to escape people and just leave for a couple days, but there is no real wilderness in my country, and none of the European countries that allow it are accessibly to me. I thought how relaxing it would be not have to talk with anyone for a couple days and just do some reading or studying in complete peace.

Last edited:
A number of people here on this forum have.
In my country there are designated Wilderness Areas. It is not uncommon to be on a wait-list to properly enter them, as some of them are popular.
Fortunately common Forest Service and BLM lands are mostly unrestricted and free. Now that I am
in my sixties, I free-hike much less and 4x4-camp much more by myself. The places I go, it is quiet, often several miles from another person. Perfect for reading!
Maybe you can search out a place in your country that can work for you?

We use to camp at the site at Lake Mead. We just had a tent, and blow up mattress. The site gave you access to the hotel pool close by and a great restaurant. At that time, Lake Mead had a very high water level, and house boats were rented to those wanting to do that. But it was small site so it felt private.

Now l feel frighten to go just me and one person. Random violence does happen to campers and hikers. But 30 years ago, you didn't think about that a whole lot. Feel little better going to RV Park these days.

Does anyone here go camping in the wilderness? I don't mean with an rv but just in a 1-2 person tent. I want to escape people and just leave for a couple days, but there is no real wilderness in my country, and none of the European countries that allow it are accessibly to me. I thought how relaxing it would be not have to talk with anyone for a couple days and just do some reading or studying in complete peace.

Yes. Solo and with my family. My family likes more what's called "glamping" where there's bathrooms, electricity and people around us on campsites. I do it but don't care for it.

I like to walk into the woods, find a spot and set up camp. That to me is camping. It has its downfalls. More ticks, mosquitoes, black bears, other wild animals but I always have a firearm in case.

What country so you live in if you don't mind me asking?

There are some big differences, we actually have a law here called "Allemannsretten". It means Every Mans Right. It was created to make sure all Norwegians have the right to roam free on uncultivated land. So you have the right to camp, hike, bathe in lakes, harvest wild berries and so on.

The United States Should Adopt The Allemannsretten

My wife lived in Sweden for a few years in her early twenties and told me about that.

The US does have some of that. My wife and I lived on Lake Michigan and part of our wooded beach front we couldn't prevent people from use of it. We had people all the time having fires and camping on it. Most were respectful and picked up as if they were never there. Some didn't.

I have done some camping, I used to live on a mountain, did some camping there and now I live in an area with a lot of good places to go camping. But I'm not 20 anymore and I think I'm at an age now where a nice RV sounds better than a tent. More convenient. Maybe I'm just more lazy now? I did my time sleeping on the ground, now I would like a little more comfort.

If I do go camping now, I sometimes cheat a little. I may camp close to the place in the picture. It's a spa.. :D Yes, a real spa in the forest, a forest spa, that's a real thing. City folks think they have it all, but we have it in the forest too. So if I feel uncomfortable I walk to the spa and check in there for a few hours. :) Cozy.

View attachment 80430

I love that idea. Plus if it has a hotel, you check in if the weather goes to nasty. Once camping, we had water right in our tent. Lol

Sorry i more or less forgot about this thread, right now i am looking into going on a wild camping vacation in another country. This summer in Germany you can use any form of public transit for an entire month with a single 9 euro ticked. This would shave of a significant amount of travel cost of for me. I could get to denmark for basically free and then take a bus to sweden.

Last edited:
Last time I camped it was in a group of tents at a music festival! That's a different kind of camping really, with lots of people around. But I have always loved camping, we had nearly all our holidays camping as a child, we had a trailer tent that was a trailer where the sides unfolded on hinges to make it's raised floor, and a green and orange canvas tent house was somehow raised up over that base.

Then there was a space underneath and a step up, there was a room at each end for sleeping, my sister and I had metal frame campbeds in a bunk bed style. Later we had our own tent. We liked it mostly, we did get wet or cold sometimes, but on the whole it was great.

Nowadays the Premier Inn works better for me. Nice rooms, good prices, good privacy. But got great memories of camping.

i have often thought about buying a small tent and some basic camping supplies and then disappearing into the wilderness for a while, just me and a few books. I'm sure i will It it at some point. it's hard to find really isolated places here. i see how much open space they have in other countries, you can just totally disappear there and build a cabin in the middle of nowhere and nobody would even know you were there. i wish we had that kind of vast landscape to explore.

Camping is something I always loved, but I tend to be a lot more simple and rugged than most people's ideas of camping. I live in a much warmer climate than many of you though.

If I was by myself I didn't bother with a tent, just a 8' x 10' tarp, a thick warm quilt and a pillow. Lay the tarp on the ground, the quilt on that and the pillow at one end. You sleep on one side of the quilt, if it gets cold you pull the other half of the quilt over you, if it starts to rain you pull the other half of the tarp over as well.

The best cooking implement to take camping is a wok, you can use it as either a frying pan or a saucepan and it sits on the hot coals of a fire very well.

I'm going camping for the first time in years the weekend of Oct 8th. I don't honestly know what I'm doing, but I'm going with people who do know. I'm excited! I always wanted to camp more.

I am most at home when wilderness camping. I started in Boy Scouts. My troop didn't just go to established camps. We got out into the nearby National Forest, etc. After turning 18, when I could go out camping on my own, I quickly found that I preferred lone wilderness camping. The solitude from crowds, and closeness to Nature had me hooked. While I didn't know I was autistic back then, I had never liked the feeling of wearing clothing, and I very quickly realized that camping alone in the wilderness I didn't need to wear any. Since then, I have camped solo in the wilderness every chance I get. Every Summer I spend a whole week camping by boat or canoe in the Everglades National Park.

I am interested in camping but have only been once and I did not enjoy it
Why? Because it rained and everything got wet really there are aspects I would hate like no toilets, no showers, sleeping on the ground, bugs, the cold and conditions.
But I think I would like cooking sweet potato and sweet corn on the campfire, roasting marshmallows, making s'mores, singing around a campfire, telling ghost stories and stories, the night stars.
I have thought of trail riding but I do lot know if I could take horses and just look after them and ride them.

I am wilderness camping RIGHT NOW. 10 miles off road, but 3 bars of cell coverage. I'm in the tent now because it's dark here in Central Florida and the mosquitoes are out

George Dyson lived for years in a treehouse hidden in the middle of Vancouver. Another guy had a nice nest on a bit of a seaside cliff that looked inaccessible. The rural opportunities for camouflaged camping are much easier to find if you just want solitude.

Camping again tonight. This time boat camping. I have a no frills pontoon boat and I put a tent on it.
20231117_162243.jpg
20231117_165520.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom