• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Camels milk?

Suzette

V.I.P Member
I just came across a weird tie between autisim and camels milk in this article:
6 Surprising Benefits of Camel Milk (And 3 Downsides)

Here is the abstract:
[paste:font size="5"]
25Trusted Source, 26Trusted Source).

Autism spectrum disorders is an umbrella term for several neurodevelopmental conditions that can impair social interactions and cause repetitive behaviors (27Trusted Source).

One study found that camel milk may improve autistic behavior in children on the spectrum. However, this study used cow’s milk as a placebo and noted that many of the participants had lactose intolerance or milk allergy (7Trusted Source, 28Trusted Source).

Another study in 65 children with autism ages 2–12 years old noted that 2 weeks of drinking camel milk led to significant improvements in autistic behavioral symptoms, which were not seen in the placebo group (26Trusted Source).

Though research is promising, replacing standard treatments for autism with camel milk is not recommended. Additionally, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns parents that these claims are not warranted and lack sufficient evidence (29Trusted Source, 30Trusted Source, 31Trusted Source).

Lastly, camel milk may benefit neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, but only a few animal studies have investigated this potential (32Trusted Source, 33Trusted Source, 34Trusted Source).

SUMMARY
Camel milk may aid certain behavioral and neurodevelopmental conditions, such as autism, as well as neurodegenerative illnesses like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, but evidence is limited.

I live in an area of town that's heavily populated with Muslim immigrants and refugees. At a grocery store near my home, they sell camel milk. It is very expensive. Over nine dollars for a pint or smaller.

Many African/Middle Eastern immigrants seem to really like it. They use it for all kinds of folk medicine. I am very interested in learning more about it, although the idea of non traditional (Standard American) milk sources kinda gives me the heebie jeebies.

Goat milk is so delicious though. That stuff is almost five dollars for a quart, but so yummy and kind of buttery/sweet tasting.

I got sheep milk as a substitute for cow milk as a child. I had a milk proteine allergy (among other food intolerances and allergies)

In Central Asia horse milk is also quite popular as folk medicine. I've never seen camel milk though.

Today I can proudly claim to be free of any food allergies and intolerances :)

I got sheep milk as a substitute for cow milk as a child. I had a milk proteine allergy (among other food intolerances and allergies)

In Central Asia horse milk is also quite popular as folk medicine. I've never seen camel milk though.

Today I can proudly claim to be free of any food allergies and intolerances :)
Where in Central Asia do you live? One of my best friends from my church lives in Kazakhstan. She was a missionary there about 5-10 years ago, and she met five orphans who were ethnically Uzbek, but raised in Kazakhstan. They were little children living all alone in a house with no help and no food. She ended up adopting all of them, and staying in the country. Now some are grown, and there are still two young girls in their teens.

She met another family of orphans recently and is going about adopting them.

Okay. Goat has a stronger taste to me but it doesn't bother me. My father can't stand goat at all. Tastes the tiniest bit of it in salad. I'm very adventurous when it comes to food. I also love roquefort cheese (edible mould cheese, I've got this type of cheese all for myself).

We have plenty of sheep farms around but none of them sell sheep milk. I have started buying cow milk products years ago as it's more affordable, after noticing that I no longer have any problems. Local cuisine is heavy with milk products like cream and Schmand (smetana). So it used to be difficult to avoid milk when I was a kid.

Where in Central Asia do you live? One of my best friends from my church lives in Kazakhstan. She was a missionary there about 5-10 years ago, and she met five orphans who were ethnically Uzbek, but raised in Kazakhstan. They were little children living all alone in a house with no help and no food. She ended up adopting all of them, and staying in the country. Now some are grown, and there are still two young girls in their teens.

I don't live in Central Asia but we have many immigrants from Russia and Central Asia and they have an influence on local grocery stores, selling birch juice and other traditional foods and drinks.

So she is still living in Uzbekistan? Girl has a heart of gold. Good that she is helping those children.

wish I knew that before I bought it at a grocery store, I buy good spiced Gouda from a Dutch store, not the locally made stuff from the grocery store. you can taste the difference.

So she is still living in Uzbekistan? Girl has a heart of gold. Good that she is helping those children.
Yes, but it's Kazakhstan where she lives. The children are ethnically Uzbek.

She's had to jump through a lot of hoops to keep the children. Sometimes the country makes her return to the US for six months, and the children have to be alone again. She's organized other people to watch them while she's gone.

She's also building a domestic violence shelter in Shymkent.

Amazing that kids stick together and take care of one another. She is fantastic to open her heart to them. Wish l had the courage to volunteer as a phone person at the domestic violence center, but l think it would trigger me.

Amazing that kids stick together and take care of one another. She is fantastic to open her heart to them. Wish l had the courage to volunteer as a phone person at the domestic violence center, but l think it would trigger me.
It's a really hard story with a beautiful ending. The parents were alcoholic. Died in a car crash. Grandma lives in Uzbekistan, but only would come over the border to visit them twice a year. She was very cold and indifferent towards her grandchildren. Never left food for them.

They lived alone in their deceased parents' house, with no food for long periods. They were all adorable blond Slavic children. The oldest brothers when they were barely middle school aged would go out looking for odd jobs so they could buy food for their little sisters.

She was praying for God to show her where her great work was in Kazakhstan, and that same day, someone led her to the children. They are her babies now, and since they're mostly grown, she's adopting another family of orphans. She's an incredible woman.

Nothing like fresh, cold goat's milk in my opinion.
Can't find any farms that sell it where I live now. The pasturized kind in the stores doesn't taste the same.
In Missouri, where I lived before moving to Florida, there were large farms that bottled it and
sold it right at the farm prepackaged in glass gallon bottles.

I haven't tried other types of milk, but, I don't care much for cow's milk.
Again, fresh and cold at a farm, it was pretty good. Not after being processed and sold at the store.

wish I knew that before I bought it at a grocery store, I buy good spiced Gouda from a Dutch store, not the locally made stuff from the grocery store. you can taste the difference.
Real Dutch gouda is the best. My husbands ex wife is Ditch and his kids live in Holland.
To sound properly Dutch pronounce "gouda" as howda with the h sound thrown off your epiglotus like you are hacking up a loogy, but with dignity! (Yes, that is supposed to be funny)

Wow. Are they in the warehouses? Does the poop get sold for fertilizer? Some stuff is in the warehouses, maybe kiddie rides are next with camel and you pictures.
I love to ride camels! I have riden several.
In a different life I might run a camel adventure fantasy holiday operation. You would take a camel ride than have dinner with a bellydancer and musical show and sleep in a Bedouin tent. :dromedarycamel::dromedarycamel::dromedarycamel::dromedarycamel:

Real Dutch gouda is the best. My husbands ex wife is Ditch and his kids live in Holland.
To sound properly Dutch pronounce "gouda" as howda with the h sound thrown off your epiglotus like you are hacking up a loogy, but with dignity! (Yes, that is supposed to be funny)
Dutch is a very guteral language, do not use it much now with both my parents gone.

New Threads

Top Bottom