• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Call centre work advice please

Danno

So just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice? I'm "pre-diagnosis" at the moment (although self diagnosis pretty much points at ASD/Aspergers).

I currently work in a call centre for car insurance customer service where I've been now for around 18 months. It's only since I've been here that it's really "helped" me highlight the difficulties I have as opposed to someone who is NT.

I quite often find myself "overwhelmed" (I guess in spectrum terms more accurately might be "overstimulated") with fluorescent lights, staring at a computer screen all day, background noise from other call handlers, customers talking at me through the headset, and general stresses of the job.

Ive had it mentioned to me a couple of times recently about how what I'm doing in terms of work may not be in line with where it should be, but until I have an official diagnosis I don't even have that to refer to in terms of explaining to people why I do what I do/in the time I do it in - I quite often have to take a 30 second breather between calls whereas most others jump straight from one call to the next because I still need time to process what's just happened.

After call work (writing up incident logs, requesting letters etc) also seems to take me longer as I obsess over every. Single. Detail.

I do appreciate call centre work is probably far down on an Aspie's list of ideal jobs, and if I'd known about myself now what I do, back when I first started, I may not even have gone for the job in the first place...

But does anyone have any advice about what I can do (more or less immediately) to make my working days more tolerable and less draining (I normally get in in the evenings and have to spend upwards of an hour in a dark quiet room at home waiting for the migraine-style auras/visual snow to subside and for my brain to slow down and silence itself.

It seems to be worse on a weekend when I'm rota'd in because I don't get the 2 days off together that week, which throws me off balance anyway because I spend my time-in-lieu day off during the week stressing about whether I've actually messed up my day off and am unintentionally AWOL... And with not having 2 days off together means I don't get a decent chance to unwind.

Any thoughts/advice would be very much appreciated

Get in touch with the NAS Danno. They have plenty of advice on how to deal with such circumstances. I have done call centre work myself, and it's an unforgiving environment.
If you are actively seeking diagnosis (i.e. you have been referred by your GP or are going through the diagnosis process) then you are still covered by the Equality Act 2010 which gives you the right to "reasonable accommodations" to be made for your differences. With no diagnosis or referral, you are technically still covered if self diagnosed, but your rights to adaptations are on very shaky ground.

Don't do it, a few years ago I had an "interview" while I was under Remploy for a job at one of the call centres on Sheffield Parkway. I had to say no, because A) I can't work full time due to the benefit situation and B) I would have a BIG battle to get "reasonable adjustments" under the 2010 Equality Act due to wearing a digital hearing aid and needing adaptations of the headsets etc.

And like I said, if you're like me and on ESA or whatever due to disability and/or Asperger's, if you work full time the government would take great delight in sanctioning the crap out of you from a great height.

@Autistamatic, The OP is covered by the Equality Act, but as you probably know, I've been saying for years that that Act has no teeth because the government has never enforced it and probably never will.

Don't do it, a few years ago I had an "interview" while I was under Remploy for a job at one of the call centres on Sheffield Parkway. I had to say no, because A) I can't work full time due to the benefit situation and B) I would have a BIG battle to get "reasonable adjustments" under the 2010 Equality Act due to wearing a digital hearing aid and needing adaptations of the headsets etc.

And like I said, if you're like me and on ESA or whatever due to disability and/or Asperger's, if you work full time the government would take great delight in sanctioning the crap out of you from a great height.

@Autistamatic, The OP is covered by the Equality Act, but as you probably know, I've been saying for years that that Act has no teeth because the government has never enforced it and probably never will.

Rich, the OP has already said in his post he's already been working in the call centre for 18 months, right at the beginning of his post. Do take the time to read people's posts before you pass comment on them, eh :)

And please stop discouraging people from exercising their rights under the Equality Act. Government creates the legislation, they don't enforce it. That's down to tribunals, the courts, the unions and people themselves. There's no Equality Police to force employers and institutions to follow the law, it's up to individuals to use the law to fight their case when they have been mistreated. That's how it always has and always will be. The Equality Act only has "no teeth" if you don't use it when you need to.

@Autistamatic I've got my initial appointment with GP on 29th (day/date/time are thoroughly etched into my brain!) to hopefully get referred for diagnosis. I guess I'm just concerned that in the mean time if work do try any form of remedial/disciplinary action they might turn round and say that because it's not official I'm not covered by the act in the same way.

To be honest though I'm not even sure what reasonable adjustments could be made for me - no part of the office is any quieter (it's all open plan) and short of isolating myself further by moving to a corner on my own somewhere not sure how exactly the work environment could be adapted.

I know the other provision under the Act is moving to an equivalent position but seeing as it's an entry level job already there aren't many roles in the company I'm suitable for in terms of qualifications - the ones I am are pretty much on par with what I'm doing at the moment, negative stuff/difficulties included.

Since I told my line manager last week about all that's going on, she has been very supportive (and me being me, even when it seems like her two/three times a day checking up are a bit too much and I just say "I'm OK"). But it can feel a bit intrusive. I know it's coming from a place of care and it's not meant to be a negative thing but still...

I'm actually wondering if I might be better waiting until April when my annual bonus comes in (should be a few grand hopefully - Aspie problem solving does have its benefits when it comes to appraisals! ) and then look around for quieter jobs elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, after retail slaving for 11 years, working in insurance does give me more job fulfilment for using my brain more. Just wish it was under different circumstances.

Id rather avoid going down the route of getting signed off by the doctor and/or seeking benefits if I can help it as there's a lot more people more deserving out there who legitimately can't work; I can but just not necessarily the same way others do.

And please stop discouraging people from exercising their rights under the Equality Act. Government creates the legislation, they don't enforce it. That's down to tribunals, the courts, the unions and people themselves. There's no Equality Police to force employers and institutions to follow the law, it's up to individuals to use the law to fight their case when they have been mistreated. That's how it always has and always will be. The Equality Act only has "no teeth" if you don't use it when you need to.

Couldn't have put it better myself. As with any "Rights" movement the only way to make widespread change for the better is to be upfront about them (not always easy!). The more people that raise issues, the more it's in the public eye, and the more likely it is that positive change will happen

That does not sound ideal, per se, but you have done well sticking with it.

From a public relations perspective, insurance is never an easy proposition. Whether in sales, claims or underwriting. Where you're dealing with an inherently negative commodity the public doesn't want to deal with unless they have to. Not an industry to work in for the faint of heart.

Yeah, I spent nearly two decades in insurance underwriting.

Would I have gotten into this industry had I known at the time that I was on the spectrum?

Good question....:confused:

Last edited:
It's probably best to wait until your GP has referred you for diagnosis, which can take a couple of years (depending on your local authority.)
The NAS run a scheme that sends in an employment advisor (usually autistic themselves) who will help your employer understand your needs and improve in line with reasonable adjustments. It costs £1400 which your company would have to pay for but... There is a government scheme called "Access to Work" which might be able to pay for it if you apply to them. I'd suggest giving them a call and asking if they can help you at this stage.
As far as adjustments they can make now and at little cost...
You mentioned that you needs bit longer than your colleagues between calls. Most modern exchanges can be programmed to route calls to operators at specified intervals which can be different for each operator. Perhaps they could set your interval longer to give you time to collect yourself between calls.
In addition you can get noise cancelling headsets, similar to noise cancelling headphones that might make things easier too.
Allowing you to excuse yourself if things overwhelm you might be a good one too.

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

@Judge Working in a customer-facing role (as it were) I do often wonder if customers appreciate exactly what it is that they think they're up to when they pay £x premium - the number of times I've had to correct them because in good conscience I couldn't have them carrying on a policy under incorrect terms just because it works out cheaper, never mind the fact that if they've regularly claimed over the last few years then of course any premium based on their claims history would go up... I think the main bugbear is that people *have* to have car insurance but quite often when they take the cover out they don't appreciate what it is and how much they're asking us to do "just in case". Saving £50 up front may seem savvy now, but 6 months down the line if a claim gets repudiated I'm sure they'd rather have spent the extra money. But of course no one knows what will happen...

That's when Aspie brain kicks in and I feel like just telling them in no uncertain terms just how logical insurance actually is if they sit down and think about the processes and fact behind the scenes ;)

@Judge Working in a customer-facing role (as it were) I do often wonder if customers appreciate exactly what it is that they think they're up to when they pay £x premium - the number of times I've had to correct them because in good conscience I couldn't have them carrying on a policy under incorrect terms just because it works out cheaper, never mind the fact that if they've regularly claimed over the last few years then of course any premium based on their claims history would go up... I think the main bugbear is that people *have* to have car insurance but quite often when they take the cover out they don't appreciate what it is and how much they're asking us to do "just in case". Saving £50 up front may seem savvy now, but 6 months down the line if a claim gets repudiated I'm sure they'd rather have spent the extra money. But of course no one knows what will happen...

That's when Aspie brain kicks in and I feel like just telling them in no uncertain terms just how logical insurance actually is if they sit down and think about the processes and fact behind the scenes ;)

That remains a huge debate among insurers here today at the marketing level. The responsibility of providing good coverage to policyholders versus delivering the lowest possible premiums.

Some insurers like Progressive make the most out of telling the public that they're happy to cover you for what you want to pay for. Not what you may be truly liable for. On the other hand that's a point that Allstate emphasizes. Where I often wonder how many viewers really understand what it means to be caught underinsured in the event of an accident?

Unfortunately in most cases the uneducated public (policyholders) are most likely to default to expecting the lowest possible premiums, without much regard to their own assets and liabilities best accounted for with higher insurance limits.

And most of the public is likely to perceive that policy limits are proportional to premiums. Which isn't really the case. You can save money with lower limits, but to carry higher ones in reality isn't necessarily going to cost a great deal more.

As an underwriter I was occasionally at odds with our home office, having priced a commercial account with legal discounts sufficient to make it competitive. But whenever I did that, I also brought up the possibility that my rate may be insufficient for the underwriting exposures. Yeah, it can be a tough sell to both customers and one's superiors. Quite a "balancing act" at times to tax much of anyone, whether Aspie or NT.

Last edited:
For the issue with the lighting at work, can you wear a fancy or plain brim hat or cap without getting into trouble?

Prescription lenses or glasses that lighten or darken based on light?

Sunglasses? (Try several tints to see which ones work for you).

Or can you bring in a small lamp or desklight that will also help you mitigate the effects of the fluorescent lighting?

It may not be possible to ask for a desk change to one towards the edges?

I don't knowxanythingcabout UK laws and protections so I leave that part of it up to others who do. I have found it difficult but necessary to advocate for myself.

Lenses that react to light levels are triggered by UV and blue light at the extreme end of the visible spectrum, so they won't work in this context. Tinted lenses might be an option though. A 60% light transmission tint might do the trick nicely. Nothing can reduce the flicker of flourescents, but the tint might make it more comfortable.

Also - in a call centre you are undoubtedly a VDU user for more than enough hours in a working day. In the UK your employer is obliged to both pay for a sight test every 2 years and contribute up to £40 towards the cost of specs if they are solely for VDU use. If you can convince the optometrist to declare you need tinted lenses for VDU use in the office specifically, you can get some or all of the cost covered.

Also - in a call centre you are undoubtedly a VDU user for more than enough hours in a working day. In the UK your employer is obliged to both pay for a sight test every 2 years and contribute up to £40 towards the cost of specs if they are solely for VDU use. If you can convince the optometrist to declare you need tinted lenses for VDU use in the office specifically, you can get some or all of the cost covered.

Any way his employer can alter the existing fixtures & ballast to accommodate LED florescent bulbs ?

Not a major conversion from what I gather...and his coworkers might be grateful as well.

Last edited:
Any way his employer can alter the existing fixtures & ballast to accommodate LED florescent bulbs ?

Not a major conversion from what I gather...

If they accept that as "reasonable" and there lies the rub. It might be considered reasonable to do that in the immediate work area and no more but they may not even see it that way. This is where the Equality Act does get murky. Determining whether something is reasonable or not is something for a tribunal or court to decide, unless you or a lawyer can quote a legal precedent to force a situation. The only way to find out is to ask, and should they refuse, decide whether you'll put up with it or take the legal route. Union membership helps a lot in such cases!

If they accept that as "reasonable" and there lies the rub. It might be considered reasonable to do that in the immediate work area and no more but they may not even see it that way. This is where the Equality Act does get murky. Determining whether something is reasonable or not is something for a tribunal or court to decide, unless you or a lawyer can quote a legal precedent to force a situation. The only way to find out is to ask, and should they refuse, decide whether you'll put up with it or take the legal route. Union membership helps a lot in such cases!

One thing to consider. The office operations being an insurance call center.

Insurers and underwriters like myself occasionally would go out into the field to specifically counsel employers and employees over inadequate and unsafe working conditions pertinent to workers compensation insurance.

Imagine such conditions regarding negative work station ergonomics being perpetuated in an insurance office.

-Awkward!

Posing a rather poor public image relative to the welfare and safety of their own employees. Perhaps the sort of thing an insurer would want to avoid being mitigated by the authorities altogether. ;)

I once underwrote workers compensation for an entire hospital in the SF Bay area. Whatever I demanded or even recommended was done on the spot. With workers compensation, less losses translated into less premium at the end of the policy period under our "participating plans".

Last edited:
UPDATE:

After seeing GP yesterday to get referred to start the diagnosis process, I took the day off work because my mind was all over the place.

Went in for a few hours today - was meant to be the whole 11.30 - 20.00 shift but after breaking down in my "back to work" catch up with my team leader, and having a MAJOR case of the overthinking and "raw emotions", I then took the rest of the day as further "sick leave".

I've talked things through with my Mum who's said it's probably best just to self certify for the rest of the week and start afresh on Monday. Although in the run up to yesterday I was thinking the appointment would be a turning point, it's almost as if now I've spoken to a professional and given actual spoken words to them about how I've been feeling, it's all becoming so much more "real" than it felt before. I've been feeling all kinds of sh*t the last 24 hours trying to make sense of it all - I mean I know it's good getting things addressed finally, but my brain is just trying to make sense of all that's gone on... So yeah. Anyone know ways of telling my brain to "shut up"? :p

On the plus side, they're moving my seat on our team's snowflake desk to being on the end, rater than one of the sides, meaning my own work space is more "closed in" - rather than sitting with someone sat directly next to me (and getting paranoid about being watched, or distracted by what they're doing) I'll be sat around the corner slightly with less in my peripheral vision to get anxious about. And they're also going to source a noise-cancelling phone headset so I can focus on just the one conversation I'm meant to be having on the phone rather than also hearing all the background noise as well.

All in all I'm feeling slightly more positive about the work situation (although still going to reassess long term because even with all the best will in the world, a call centre isn't ideal). Having an understanding and supportive team leader really has helped I think

Well from the accommodation point of view that's good news Dan. It's a shame you broke down like that but you aren't the first. Taking that first step towards diagnosis and not being laughed at is emotional for most people, so no wonder you were feeling a little raw :)

New Threads

Top Bottom