• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Buying things

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I get so obsessed during the buying cycle, especially for electronics and IT.

I research everything compulsively, and then obsess over prices and options.

My last depression was triggered when a customer didn't pay as expected and I couldn't by the new computers I wanted.

I catastrophise when buying doesn't go my way, or I can't get exactly what I want.

I've always done that and it's never got any more relaxing.

I'm bad with sunglasses, and electrical stuff too.

Used to do that Full Steam, especially with computers, electronics, appliances, literally most things I bought. Both my husband and myself would research for sometimes weeks, every comment, every review, making comparisons between models.

Guess that it's less common than I thought, as I researched cars for months before we finally settled on a maker and a model. It can be frustrating, the wanting to know, well everything possible, and not wanting to make a mistake when it comes to our hard earned cash.

Don't know if I consider it bad really, smart perhaps. That consideration.

Last edited:
I do as well, although I've become more mindful about the possibility of phony reviews which can potentially skew much of my due diligence as a consumer. :eek:

One thing to remember when tempted to impulse buy "Money can't buy happiness, but it can rent it!".

I have a tendency to do this as well. I don't want to waste my money. On the positive side, I am usually happy with my purchases.

I never buy anything without researching and reading reviews. Definitely an obsession, but I am never disappointed in my purchases this way. It may be time consuming, especially when buying new PC parts, but well worth it.

When I go to purchase things like electrical goods, clothing for special occasions, etc I get overwhelmed with all the different options. So I tend to seek advice from someone I trust otherwise I don't think I could make a decision.

I've been looking to buy an MP3 Player to use at the gym but I haven't been able to decide on which one to get so as an alternative I've just been connecting headphones to my mobile phone.

When I go to purchase things like electrical goods, clothing for special occasions, etc I get overwhelmed with all the different options. So I tend to seek advice from someone I trust otherwise I don't think I could make a decision.

I've been looking to buy an MP3 Player to use at the gym but I haven't been able to decide on which one to get so as an alternative I've just been connecting headphones to my mobile phone.

What's wrong with that?

I'd replace the ear phones though if you haven't aleady.

I bought these after months of seeking obsessively : Amazon.com: AKG K452 High-Performance On-Ear Headset with One Button In-Line Mic and Controls (White): Home Audio & Theater

Great head phones.

The only downside I can see is that I get very upset if I can't get what I want, and it occaisonally causes decision parallasis.

My wife told me last year we needed a new washing machine as ours had finally broken, and I replied, very stressed out that there was no way I had time to find a good one so she had to wait until the weekend.

She researched it herself and got a great one.

I was very proud of her :D

My problem is when I find something I like I tend to buy at least three of them , especially jeans boots & most items of clothing .. this as you can imagine can be crazy expensive

My problem is when I find something I like I tend to buy at least three of them , especially jeans boots & most items of clothing .. this as you can imagine can be crazy expensive

I have bought the same pair of shoes at least 4 times now, just in different colors. I will struggle if they are ever discontinued.

<----- buys impulsive. In the past 2 weeks I bought $600 worth of gloves, hats and mittens for the people in Moneta VA. Why? No idear other than I have dear inlaws there.
I am an extreme impulse buyer when the mood hits.

My last depression was triggered when a customer didn't pay as expected and I couldn't by the new computers I wanted.

I catastrophise when buying doesn't go my way, or I can't get exactly what I want.

Hi Full Steam. I am exactly the same. Sometimes after an days of researching, comparing and reviewing I get stuck and I experience information overload. Sometimes I have to force myself to buy something to break the mental deadlock.

I have always been a collector/hoarder/sporadic buyer.
My weaknesses are PC Games like Command & Conquer series, Plants vs. Zombies most any thing Star Wars. I have always loved video/computer games as classic as Tetris, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, up to independently made games like Undertale which was made by Toby Fox. The only down side of today's gaming is that instead of playing and learning through your experience, game companies like EA Games will offer a way around that by letting you purchase cards that will have a certain amount on them to use on their websites so you can buy/unlock everything without really having to play the game to begin with. EA Cash Cards & Steam Cash Cards can get quite expensive, the only lowest denominations that I can find in my area are $20.00 dollars a pop.. Then there's things that I collect: Star Wars collectibles, foreign coins, currency, and stamps (although I have stopped collecting stamps for quite a while now, I still need to figure out where to put them), I collect books, as I am more for tangible print and a library rather than downloading them on a nook book or ipad or iphone or whatever it is. I like subjects like Military history, Russian/Soviet history, Combat Aircraft & Tanks books, Political books as well as some fictional books on sci-fi/fantasy (Star Wars) or sci-fi/horror (H.P. Lovecraft's works such as The Call of Cthulhu, Dagon, Shadow over Innsmuth and the Dunwich Horror). And then there are books on things like utopian and dystopian socities like Thomas Moore's Utopia (Utopian) and Animal Farm & 1984 by George Orwell (Dystopian). Then finally I have a big collection of Soviet Medals & Badges. The only thing abut that is that I have a fixed income as well as a small job as a box boy, so half the time I either say to my self, "Dave, will buying this get me by the next couple of weeks or will it go in a book or a box or a shelf or display case and I'll have to wait until my monthly paycheck to come through?" I guess that's one way to look at it. But usually my money wants to burn right through my pocket... It's a struggle.

I find I can be on eBay and Amazon a lot figuring out the next camera gear I want to buy. When I think of a new idea of something to improve my photography, there normal a device that already exist. I think I'm at a point now I have more gear than some professional photographers.

Is anyone else a minimalist? I don't like having stuff, as meaningless materialism just seems so empty and wasteful to me. So many people end up getting owned by their stuff! And on top of that you have the environmental issues with all this mass produced crap, etc...

I strive to want what I need and not much else. It's cheaper, helps keep the room clean, and gives my cats more room to run around. They appreciate that. XD

I usually spend my money on dolls,makeup and comics or books,I recently got into drawing again and I been buying some copic markers and will be going next week to the shops to try to build up my copic collection and get a bleedproof sketch pad.

Is anyone else a minimalist?
Yes. I am.

Anyway, I bought a game for my XBOX 360 second hand yesterday for next to nothing. I've not touched my console at all since buying it nearly new about five years ago. It came with 'crappy games' that I gave away and was left with none... I don't know why I didn't go out and buy a second hand game I liked before. I think it's because when I lived up north, I wasn't capable of being assertive and looking after myself because no one ever shown true love for me. Now I know how it feels to be loved in the past, I can now take care of myself.

I bought a 2006 game - 'Forza 2 Motorsport.' Love it! - (car racing)

I thought I was the only one. I stress bid on stuff on Ebay. Usually cheap stuff, but I buy so much of it that it adds up quickly. I'm beginning to get a little better at saving.

New Threads

Top Bottom