• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Buying a hahns macaw after graduating high school

Turbocks

So recently I have had thoughts of owning a pet parrot mainly because I used to own budgies as a young boy (10-12 year old ) although I did not have much success keeping them.

I am going to finish high school this year or next year depending on whether I get permission to go for a fourth year or not.

I was thinking of owning a hahns macaw mainly because they are fairly affordable but also not as challenging to keep as their larger cousins because of their smaller size.

There is also the fact they are not as long lived as the larger macaws because the hahns macaw tends to live between 30-40 years so that way I can actually outlive it unlike the large macaws that can live for 90 years which is not far from my elderly grandmother who is still alive and kicking at 93 years of age and not confined at a retirement home.

These are not apartment birds though because they are very noisy so I will have to move to a place far away from neighbours in a home that is not an apartment such as a house in the countryside.

In terms of a job I was thinking of working at home with an IT related job for example helping fixing peoples computers remotely and I have years of computer experience since childhood so that should not be very hard.

I already keep fish at home and my knowledge of them is vast because of my intense will to research everything I can find about them and because it is one of my several special interests .

I am also aware they can be loud but for some reason I have actually become used to the noise they make and I don't see it as annoying any more although I would still use ear plugs to keep my hearing intact.

So recently I have had thoughts of owning a pet parrot mainly because I used to own budgies as a young boy (10-12 year old ) although I did not have much success keeping them.

I am going to finish high school this year or next year depending on whether I get permission to go for a fourth year or not.

I was thinking of owning a hahns macaw mainly because they are fairly affordable but also not as challenging to keep as their larger cousins because of their smaller size.

There is also the fact they are not as long lived as the larger macaws because the hahns macaw tends to live between 30-40 years so that way I can actually outlive it unlike the large macaws that can live for 90 years which is not far from my elderly grandmother who is still alive and kicking at 93 years of age and not confined at a retirement home.

These are not apartment birds though because they are very noisy so I will have to move to a place far away from neighbours in a home that is not an apartment such as a house in the countryside.

In terms of a job I was thinking of working at home with an IT related job for example helping fixing peoples computers remotely and I have years of computer experience since childhood so that should not be very hard.

I already keep fish at home and my knowledge of them is vast because of my intense will to research everything I can find about them and because it is one of my several special interests .

I am also aware they can be loud but for some reason I have actually become used to the noise they make and I don't see it as annoying any more although I would still use ear plugs to keep my hearing intact.

As long as you have conciderd all possibilities and whats needed for this Sp (which i already know you have and will ;) ) i just wont to add ONE tiny thing get a couple dear Macaus and pretty much all birds are flock animals and shouldent be kept as single pets . + you still should get a LARGER (were they can stretch there wings and actually get to fly inside ) inside but also outside Aviary. NOT a nice cage. Other than that id say GO for it :) . IF you think you can afford it and do this right (the last part i have NO doght you can and will ) ;)

Those parrots are cute and sweet. But I myself could not handle their screaming. There's a reason why God put them on islands.

It is very good you are thinking it thru. Both for the animals's sake and your's. But I was wondering how you knew you were used to the noise?

It is very good you are thinking it thru. Both for the animals's sake and your's. But I was wondering how you knew you were used to the noise?

I have visited a local zoo several times that has several large parrots including cockatoos and a hyacinth macaw , the rose cockatoos can say a few words in Swedish such as "Goddag goddag" which means good day , as for the screaming which happened the first time when I was close to one of the mollucan cockatoos it scared me and caused pains in my ear which went away.

During later visits the only thing I feel when they scream is that it feels like it's cutting through my ears although I don't mind the noise anymore because I understand it's part of their natural behaviour in the wild and that I have to understand why they scream which requires tolerating it to some degree just like as a parent tolerating a screaming and noisy 3-4 year old toddler which is the mental capacity of these intelligent birds .

I don't really have plans for getting a girlfriend and having kids so getting a parrot would be great because it's just like raising a small toddler except it never grows up.

As for the money the awesome part is that I technically already have the funds needed the to purchase the bird itself, these are funds in the form of stock exchanges that I have inherited from my late grandfather.

I just need to save up enough money and a good paying job so I can create the perfect enviroment both for me and my bird.

As long as I can avoid permanent hearing damage I am totally OK with screaming parrots.

I have visited a local zoo several times that has several large parrots including cockatoos and a hyacinth macaw , the rose cockatoos can say a few words in Swedish such as "Goddag goddag" which means good day , as for the screaming which happened the first time when I was close to one of the mollucan cockatoos it scared me and caused pains in my ear which went away.

During later visits the only thing I feel when they scream is that it feels like it's cutting through my ears although I don't mind the noise anymore because I understand it's part of their natural behaviour in the wild and that I have to understand why they scream which requires tolerating it to some degree just like as a parent tolerating a screaming and noisy 3-4 year old toddler which is the mental capacity of these intelligent birds .

I don't really have plans for getting a girlfriend and having kids so getting a parrot would be great because it's just like raising a small toddler except it never grows up.

As for the money the awesome part is that I technically already have the funds needed the to purchase the bird itself, these are funds in the form of stock exchanges that I have inherited from my late grandfather.

I just need to save up enough money and a good paying job so I can create the perfect enviroment both for me and my bird.

As long as I can avoid permanent hearing damage I am totally OK with screaming parrots.

Again glad to see the thinking you are putting into this as well as committment. As far as the noise goes, I did want to point out there is a large difference between short and long duration exposure and what I will call 'no escape' exposure. Even the finest of parents if stuck, say in a car, with a screaming child who will not stop can have very bad thoughts of throwing them out the window.

I am noise sensitive to certain types of loud intrusive sounds. I would not have thought having 4 small very yappy dogs was a good match for me. But we started with one and it slowly grew and I love them so much. I am fact now very tolerant and hardly notice when they are all barking and howling their heads off (for the 20th time that day ;)). So it can work out.

It would be nice if there was a way to get some longer term exposure as a test. LIke if a loud bird stayed with you for a few days. I should also mention their are many nice and very personable other types that are not noisy.

Just to get this clear not all parrots are screamers. And among the smaller SP it shouldent be that much noice (yes they are screamers among the smaller Sp (lord do i know that :rolleyes:) but many of them arent. + in this case said zoo that is referred too (we have been on it both apparently ) have a LOT of parrots in huge groups different sp besides and around eatchoder. Outside and in big averys which also triggers them to voice up even more. So you cant go on that particular (and belive me when i say LOUD experience ) So this Sp shouldent be that loud actually :cool:

New Threads

Top Bottom