• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Business for Non-NT

Rabo

Hi community,
I would like to know if anybody has experience with any kind of marketing that is focused on non-NTs*. The only thing I know in that field is that there are some companies that are specialized in searching for people with Asperger and offer them jobs in programming. But maybe there is more.

I am webdesigner (freelancer) and I am a non-NT. I would like to offer my work to others which are also not neurotypicall.

E. g. I do not have any problems to work with people who have ADHS are autists or have other so called "problems". In the opposite. I know how it is to live such a live. Therfore I can deal much better with them than any NT ever will do. I could imagine to create a website that offers: Webdesign for people with ADHS, Aspergers/ other autists and HSP (hypersensitive persons)

Does that idea make any sense to you? If so: maybe I could be the first one to offer such services. (?) Or maybe something like that already exists? In that case I would be glad if somebody offers a link.

Thanks
Raphael

* sorry, my first language is german. I do not know if certain expressions like "NTs" for neurotypical persons is used in english aswell.

Sounds like a good idea . I change the background color on my browser , It's much easier on the eyes . With a bright white background and and black letters , I feel like the computer is shouting at me ( sensory stuff ) . Changing the background to a light blue is really easy on the eyes . Maybe you could do some research on color combinations that are user friendly for us Non NT's .
I like the way you refer to us as non NT's , it's more inclusive . And yes , NT means the same over here .

I barely have any clue, but often I catch simplicity in a positive way. And I can't understand much what significant upsides such a service would offer.
The largest impact you'll likely do is by adding/improving user side theming in common open source web software or web design software.
* sorry, my first language is german. I do not know if certain expressions like "NTs" for neurotypical persons is used in english aswell.
ADHS = ADHD, ADS = ADD
Person = person, persons = people.
It's more comfortable to use Neurodiverse/ND instead of non neurotypical.

Hi community,
I would like to know if anybody has experience with any kind of marketing that is focused on non-NTs*. The only thing I know in that field is that there are some companies that are specialized in searching for people with Asperger and offer them jobs in programming. But maybe there is more.

I am webdesigner (freelancer) and I am a non-NT. I would like to offer my work to others which are also not neurotypicall.

E. g. I do not have any problems to work with people who have ADHS are autists or have other so called "problems". In the opposite. I know how it is to live such a live. Therfore I can deal much better with them than any NT ever will do. I could imagine to create a website that offers: Webdesign for people with ADHS, Aspergers/ other autists and HSP (hypersensitive persons)

Does that idea make any sense to you? If so: maybe I could be the first one to offer such services. (?) Or maybe something like that already exists? In that case I would be glad if somebody offers a link.

Thanks
Raphael

Like all of your clients would be non-NT/have neurological differences? Or the people using the websites (end users) would be non-NT/have neurological conditions?

I know that there is demand in some places for web designers who can make accessible websites (geared to everyone including the neurodivergent) and maybe there is also demand for websites designed specifically for neurodivergent end users, but the latter market would probably be quite small

Thank you for all your ideas! And alo many thanks for correcting my english. ;)

The topic change in my mind, and discussing it with you, is very helpfull. The main point is now: I do not insist on offering services for neurodiverted persons. I want to use my own diversion like something positive. Either for special offers in webdesign or in a somehow different way. But what it might be?

About my question: In fact I do not have an exact plan. I have some more or less a vague ideas instead. All my live I tried to behave like a neurotypical person, which I am definitely not. I am neurodiverse. My diversity is not that much strong that I would call it a BIG burdon. (I read of people that have much more difficult lifes then I have.) But it is also not easy. Nevertheless I also see advantages in beeing different:

On the one hand I cannot do some things that neurotypical people can do (stategic planning, going to parties and have smalltalk about my job...). On the other hand I see some advantages (e.g. beeing able to have solutions nobody ever thought about. Or having deep thoughts instead of superficial ideas...)

So i ask myself: How can I use the advantages of my diversity and focus on them, instead of trying to overcome the disadvantages. You see what I mean: a fundamental change of perpective.

But how should i do it? For example I could inform all my clients. That would be a big activity, but I do not see a lot of advantage in it. Many people are scared of neurodiverted persons. They think that everybody that is "not normal" is sick and needs therapy or medication. So why shoud I do that?

Another idea (my favorite in the moment) is that one: At the moment I have a website. It is serious, helpful and very"normal". Not "diverted" at all. Privately I like crazy jokes (kind of playing with the meaning of words) or strange illustrations. So I could install a blog on the website hat would be really different. I could publish there all my "crazy" ideas, the strange illustrations that I also like to do. I could also offer personal insights. (e.g. make jokes about myself and my unabilty of beeing "normal".)

To make it short: A website that shows me - as a neurodiverted artist/ designer. The website might help people to look at neurodiversity from a different angle. In Germany exists a printed magazine that is called "Autismus verstehen" (Understanding Autism) . They publish interviews with people that are successfull and autistic. And they talk about their live.But most Autists keep quiet.

Yes, that is my basic idea: Instead of hiding and pretending: acting autentically. There is the story of the little duck that considered itself to be ugly. Until it found out that it is a beautiful swan.

Last edited:
Maybe you could do some research on color combinations that are user friendly for us Non NT's

That already exists. It is basecally barrierfree webdesign. On a barrierfree website you can navigate with the keyboard, change the size an color of the typography, display images in high contrast or switch over to a black & white view. If clients want that I already offer this.

And I can't understand much what significant upsides such a service would offer.

Neither do i at the moment. I am starting into something. That is all i can say now. But I do not know where it will lead me.

Thanks a lot for helping me with my english. ;)

I know that there is demand in some places for web designers who can make accessible websites (geared to everyone including the neurodivergent)

As I quoted already: That I know and that I already offer. But after starting that thread, it is more clear for me now, what is my main problem: The "not talking", the "pretending to be normal" (whatever "normal" might be.) instead of showing my diversity and accepting it also in public.

I am not a freak that cannot behave. I just dont like to talk and organizing my life is a challenge to me. But there is a certain pressure in society that makes people hide these things (Autism, Hypersensitivity, ADHS, ADD...). They are considered to be strange. And I think that a shift in perception might be good for me (And it might be good for society aswell.): No, I am not strange, I am different.

What I want to say: If you only have one leg it is obvios: you have only one leg, you might need some things to help you in your daily life and so on. Nobody bothers. About neurodiversity things are different: People dont talk about it. They keep it secret.

But how can I declare in public, that I have other things in my mind, than the average person? OK, if I were employed, it might be possible to tell everybody in the company. But as I am freelancer, everything I say/ do/ publish has a direct impact on my income.

And beeing a freelancer is also different to beeing a star. If wellknown Hollywood actors declare themselves to be "diverted" that might be OK. It might be even good for their career. (Oh, he is so brave to speak about it...) In some cases the audience might even want to hear it. (Jack Nicholson is famous for beeing strange.) Freelancers which are "nonames" are treated differently. If they declare themslves "neurodiverted" they might loose clients.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom