• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Burnout tips?

QuiteOdd

I've reached that burnout that autistic adults are all-too familiar with. I've been masking so hard my whole life in classes, jobs, and other (semi)professional settings. I've reached a point now where it's really, really difficult to keep masking. Even thinking about putting on a hyper-friendly and professional facade is exhausting.
Plus, there are things that I just can't mask, like (1) not being able to understand instructions right away, or (2) moving slowly.
But I want a job, and I know I'll need a job in the future.
Any advice?

Burnout tips 101

J-hooks are by far my favorite burnouts, but very brutal on the driveline.
They can only be done with an automatic transmission by first getting the tires spinning in reverse and as the vehicle is still moving backwards, shifting the transmission into low gear at wide open throttle.
At the strip, we do our burnouts in the waterbox so the tires slip easier. I often try to do a 1-2 shift with an automatic transmission to get the surface speed up to heat the rubber compound.
Heating the compound is a method of reducing tire spin during the initial launch.
A dragstrip is fairly slippery, so it is necessary to get the tire treads hot to increase their grip and prevent a burnout.
The street offers more traction when dry, so a burnout on a street surface requires a whole lot more power to get an actual burnout.
Side stepping the clutch at WOT on a manual transmission can achieve great results on any surface, but once again, like a j-hook, it is very brutal on the driveline parts.
There is almost nothing that can stop a burnout on a wet surface other than reducing the power level at launch, which defeats the purpose of having said available performance.

I could possibly offer you a job cleaning burnt rubber off my quarter panels from doing my burnouts, but it is generally seasonal work so I can't offer full time pay for it.
It doesn't pay all that well either.
I don't do much refinishing work anymore, so a good masker is no longer needed, but I will keep you in mind if a position becomes available in my organization.

I hope my burnout tips help you better understand burnouts from a racer's professional perspective :p

Last edited:
Bada bing

Out west we say WFO instead of WOT, means the same. Wide full open

Seriously tho I'm gonna go with strengthen the person, the path becomes easier. Sounds campy looking at it, but its true

Being authentic is a tricky one. The who you really are thing is kind of an aspect of maturity. Talking about therapy sessions is supposedly gauche, but its data, subjective as it is.

I was a doing roleplaying with a shrink to learn new conversation tactics, because I need to practice what to say.

What the session revealed was a misunderstanding on my.part about boundaries in relationships and insecurity about how other people could somehow read my true intentions. Other people are not really psychic, and most people just dont care about what's goin on in my noggin, as long as they feel safe. Most people are self absorbed and not very bright. Or they just do not care if you are wierd.

Therapy was really helpful. Perhaps you might gain skills there

I've reached that burnout that autistic adults are all-too familiar with. I've been masking so hard my whole life in classes, jobs, and other (semi)professional settings. I've reached a point now where it's really, really difficult to keep masking. Even thinking about putting on a hyper-friendly and professional facade is exhausting.
Plus, there are things that I just can't mask, like (1) not being able to understand instructions right away, or (2) moving slowly.
But I want a job, and I know I'll need a job in the future.
Any advice?

I am not sure if you would ever consider self-employment for some craft interest or other skill, or some job where you are around or helping those that have issues where they would be less less likely to judge adversely or require certain stricter service or other standards? Or a job where you are allowed to work mostly alone if you desire that or are ok that? In other words pick some job where you can be more yourself, and do things more in your way, timing, and with regards to appearance, posture and gestures, that need not be precise or more perfect..

Last edited:
For me I fully embraced my autism and no longer care what people think. I tell people I am that grumpy old man. At work I hardly talk and just listen to a audiobook and focus on my job. I also embraced a job counseling service to act as my buffer so I don't fear going to work thinking is this the day I get fired.

@Nitro
thought he was suggesting wheelies as a way to blow of steam. Then l would add bumper cars as another way to de-stress, smash -em cycle, rinse, repeat.

This is why so many of us have a hard time with employment from burnout.

Some days, l suffer burnout, some l don't. But retiring has really helped.

Burned out hard this year and went from an outwardly normal person to a guy who can't leave his office or drive to the grocery store without risking a panic attack. Always toyed with "Asperger's" or whatever, but the stereotypes made me feel sure that it wasn't right. Considering it made me feel delusional or attention-seeking.

I'm off topic. I don't know how to get back to where I was before burnout because I've been getting worse for months. For now, I assume it's a combination of knowing your limits, drawing boundaries, getting those close to you on the same page, and (still so unsure about the "Oxford comma") getting lots of isolation.

Good luck.

I burned out hard a few years ago at my teaching job. Luckily we realized that child care costs for my high needs little boy wasn't much less than what I was making, so my husband agreed it was better for me to stay home. Now I have a class size of one, and I'm building a homestead that has already allowed us to drastically cut household costs.

To avoid burnout, I've learned that I have to be careful scheduling the energy-suckers. I can happily weed and can all day and coop cleaning is fine, but I need a full day to recover from grocery shopping. I'd advise holding out for a job that's task-orientated instead of requiring you follow a set schedule.

I reread my PREV post and it sounds snooty and kinda stuck up. Support is vital, learning to be healthy and well, that is super important. Boundaries, and what revitalizes you. I go to a great church sometimes, it's more like a spiritual community. Those lessons they teach? Absolutely priceless. Just meditation, Affirmation and prayer will help alot. Prayer need be nothing more than a human birdsong, like a Focus on gratitude, the mods here are strict on religious issues. We have a special section for it.

Nature is where I recharge, I feel really spiritual in the woods, like going home. I immerse myself in water whenever I can, even just at home in the tub. Some of your burnout stuff I dont understand but the indoor environment is important, left neglected it ruins my mood.

I met the best people at churches, no one useful at bars, ( not been to a bar in many years) and am typically shy and withdrawn at work, so I get nothing there in the way of friendship

Hope this helps

If I had not learned to meditate I think I would be in an institution by now

What I meant by maturity is just that, perspective gained from the passage of time.

I reread my PREV post and it sounds snooty and kinda stuck up. Support is vital, learning to be healthy and well, that is super important. Boundaries, and what revitalizes you. I go to a great church sometimes, it's more like a spiritual community. Those lessons they teach? Absolutely priceless. Just meditation, Affirmation and prayer will help alot. Prayer need be nothing more than a human birdsong, like a Focus on gratitude, the mods here are strict on religious issues. We have a special section for it.

Nature is where I recharge, I feel really spiritual in the woods, like going home. I immerse myself in water whenever I can, even just at home in the tub. Some of your burnout stuff I dont understand but the indoor environment is important, left neglected it ruins my mood.

I met the best people at churches, no one useful at bars, ( not been to a bar in many years) and am typically shy and withdrawn at work, so I get nothing there in the way of friendship

Hope this helps

If I had not learned to meditate I think I would be in an institution by now

What I meant by maturity is just that, perspective gained from the passage of time.
I really need to start meditating again... I haven't in a long time, and I think that's a small part of why I feel stretched so thin.
Maybe I'll go on more nature walks.

It's a pet theory about strengthen the person instead of treat the symptoms. Alot of people here have their own ideas about what we all need to be well.

Along the same vien fill the house with plants, as many as you can stand. It seems to help. I did a greenhouse project out back one year it was fantastic. Super fun, totally worthless tho. Made no food at all. It had value to me it was like a drug I would go in this crappy sheetplastic nightmare and it was really peaceful in there, very soothing, like being on another planet. I will likely do it again sometime, doesn't matter if it never makes any food or any money, I just like it.

I always go to nurseries when I can. I live in seclusion in the mountains and rarely travel, so a supply trip is a big deal. I plan a stop at a hardware store in the middle of it and go wander around among the plants.

I have a wow wall, my friend turned me on to the practice, I post things there I find or have gifted to me. Here is a favorite

20210202_103437.jpg

Like to spend time with a friend, but sometimes l don't understand agendas of them and can be confused. Simplicity of a cat and coffee are all l am starting to crave. I enjoy sitting alone in my little box home.☺

Acting classes starting at third grade till past college was my ace for keeping a job for a little while. Sales, I turned myself into someone else and could sell manure to a cow farmer. It was all acting, not the real me at all and it was exhausting! Did it for over 30 years along with a lot of other jobs.

If you can figure it out try being self employed. I got teased about having so many jobs but not being able to keep them. To save face I did laugh along with my few friends but never realize why I couldn’t keep a job. If people treated me poorly I’d just leave, walk out. Never worried about what next, my Christian faith (personally) is where I have never nor do I now worry about where I’ll live or what I’ll eat. Ain’t gonna lie, it was difficult to go through life feeling unwanted or not good enough for the NT in the world - esp when I never knew I was an aspie until 59yo!!!

I retired early due to health and was put on disability but it had nothing to do with Asperger’s but issues best described closely to MS, neurological issues that keep me in severe pain and mostly home bound.

Can you landscape? Outside jobs where I was alone a lot seemed to suite me the best - and I’ll echo what the others say about being outside and around plants. Like @Skittlebisquit , I also find great peace in a greenhouse. :)

If you burnout, it means that it's time to just do nothing and stare out the window. It means you need a break.

New Threads

Top Bottom