• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bunny amusements

kay

My bunnies are always needing new entertainment. I have cardboard boxes, a mail cubby for one where I put junk mail for him to pull out over and over again. They also each have toys that dispense pellets as they roll the toys around the room. I have one bunny, Larry, who despite all this is still trying to eat a hole in the wall. I stopped that with a smear of Irish Spring soap on the area. It was still cute because bunnies are just too adorable.

These are my first rabbits and I am surprised by how smart they are and by how bored they can get. Not like cats who pretty much just sleep all day. I'm in the room with Larry right now and he's chasing his pellet toy all over the place. His sister lives upstairs (I am waiting to have them spayed and neutered so until then they have to live apart ) and she is fond of tossing a little metal pan around. Why, I don't know. It's noisy and seems to make her happy.

If you live with a bunny what sort of toys do you keep around? What is the most destructive bit of entertainment they have invented for themselves? What is the oddest thing you've caught them doing? How smart are they? Sneaky??? Mine are sneaky.

Bunnies are awesome. Sorry, nothing constructive to add, my bunny just humped things and gnawed on electrical cables.

find a way so they can be very close to each other rabbits are like really herd animals,it would damage them psychologically to be seperated .
especially if they are related they would naturally try to protect the group they were in.

They are my "neighbors" about 30 feet from my apartment building. Desert cottontails and black-tailed jackrabbits. Though I seldom see them in winter. Always fun to see the bunnies, usually in pairs playing in the desert or looking for something to nibble on. :)

I've got pictures of them somewhere on this site, but just can't seem to relocate them, and I can't repost them because of Photobucket policy. :(

Last edited:
find a way so they can be very close to each other rabbits are like really herd animals,it would damage them psychologically to be seperated .
especially if they are related they would naturally try to protect the group they were in.
They will be back together soon. They are about 3 months and a week old so they are around the age of sexually maturing any day. Not wanting any accidents so until they are ready to be spayed/neutered (it turned out I have a girl and boy) they have to make do with human companionship. Vet said in about another month I can bring them in for the surgeries. They seem happy and love to be held. I sometimes get stuck holding them while they nap for around 15 minutes. Cutest thing ever. Both my boyfriend and I are home most of the time so the bunnies are not alone much but I'm sure they are going to love to cuddle up together again. They do get to see each other a bit through pet gates so they know the other is still around.

My rabbit is more like a cat. She sleeps most of the day and is very rarely active. I don't keep any toys since she never played with them, so I decided I'm just wasting my money buying her stuff. She also loves being on her own and is asocial (like me :p) To me, she's the rabbit version of Garfield.

Gnawing through walls and stripping the paint is what usually gets everyone at home quite upset. When she makes holes in the curtains and the furniture it also gets us quite upset, but only for a while since we can't stay cross with her for too long.

She's incredibly smart and quite manipulative and she throws a tantrum whenever she doesn't get her way. When she's angry she shakes and gives me the 'silent treatment'. She also goes on 'hunger strike' until she's satisfied again. Usually what gets her upset is if she doesn't get the food she likes, or if she feels another animal is staying at home with us. She's not the sharing type lol.

She only tolerates birds, and my pet birds are her best friends, as long as they're not getting preferential treatment!

My rabbit is more like a cat. She sleeps most of the day and is very rarely active. I don't keep any toys since she never played with them, so I decided I'm just wasting my money buying her stuff. She also loves being on her own and is asocial (like me :p) To me, she's the rabbit version of Garfield.

Gnawing through walls and stripping the paint is what usually gets everyone at home quite upset. When she makes holes in the curtains and the furniture it also gets us quite upset, but only for a while since we can't stay cross with her for too long.

She's incredibly smart and quite manipulative and she throws a tantrum whenever she doesn't get her way. When she's angry she shakes and gives me the 'silent treatment'. She also goes on 'hunger strike' until she's satisfied again. Usually what gets her upset is if she doesn't get the food she likes, or if she feels another animal is staying at home with us. She's not the sharing type lol.

She only tolerates birds, and my pet birds are her best friends, as long as they're not getting preferential treatment!

I've been really shocked by how smart they can be. So far mine don't throw tantrums but one of my sister's bunnies does. It's a little scary. Her bunny even growls. What does your bunnies tantrums look like?

Mine have learned to wait till I leave the room to do certain things that they know they shouldn't do. Molly had learned a way to bounce herself off of something and over a pet gate. We'd hear a weird noise and then find her darting around the hall. I'd pick her up and put her back and a few minutes after I was out of sight there the noise would be and out she was. So eventually we made her think we had left but were hiding on either side of area and we finally got to see what she was doing.

You are so lucky to have one that likes to sleep so much. Mine just take short naps and are back to needing an activity.

Molly is allowed to eat one curtain. It's a long one and already has glue and paint so it gives her something to do that I won't be upset about. All the other curtains are short so I don't guess this will teach her a bad habit letting her play with just one.

Do you just patch the furniture? We are odd and have mostly upholstered stuff. Kinda minimalist modern sorts of wooden furniture. So far they haven't chewed any of it. So far, they are young yet.

You bunny sounds sweet. So nice she has bird friends. Do you think a bunny would do well with a chicken?

26904057_1790590900960116_5902669009615352313_n.jpg

I've been really shocked by how smart they can be. So far mine don't throw tantrums but one of my sister's bunnies does. It's a little scary. Her bunny even growls. What does your bunnies tantrums look like?

Mine have learned to wait till I leave the room to do certain things that they know they shouldn't do. Molly had learned a way to bounce herself off of something and over a pet gate. We'd hear a weird noise and then find her darting around the hall. I'd pick her up and put her back and a few minutes after I was out of sight there the noise would be and out she was. So eventually we made her think we had left but were hiding on either side of area and we finally got to see what she was doing.

You are so lucky to have one that likes to sleep so much. Mine just take short naps and are back to needing an activity.

Molly is allowed to eat one curtain. It's a long one and already has glue and paint so it gives her something to do that I won't be upset about. All the other curtains are short so I don't guess this will teach her a bad habit letting her play with just one.

Do you just patch the furniture? We are odd and have mostly upholstered stuff. Kinda minimalist modern sorts of wooden furniture. So far they haven't chewed any of it. So far, they are young yet.

You bunny sounds sweet. So nice she has bird friends. Do you think a bunny would do well with a chicken?

Her tantrums usually start with her sitting in a corner, visibly upset, and she starts shaking. No matter how much you pet her or console her, she's not gonna change her mood until what upsets her is over. I recently painted her room, so she had to sleep in another room for a few days. There was a cat that came into our yard for those few days and she thought the cat had taken her room. Only when she got back to her room, seeing it was still hers, then her mood become normal and she started eating again.

She's very possessive of her room, and her food. Even if a big bug enters her room, she'll throw a tantrum.

Fortunately the couch she made holes in was old and was due for a makeover anyway. Since it was redone she hasn't been allowed near it. Luckily she doesn't go for wires, although she did chew my computer's mouse wire in half one time.

Lol, they always find a way out of being trapped. Your rabbit sounds like a bundle of energy. It's probably best to keep them outside, but within your yard, if that's the case.

As far as I know bunnies will do well with most kinds of animals. My birds are usually caged so they never go into her territory, so that keeps the peace. If your bunny is territorial then a chicken probably isn't the best idea, but maybe you can give it a try and see.

My bunny didn't mix well with cats, but that was mostly because my cats didn't enjoy being pounced and humped. My cats never lashed out, they just avoided the bunny at all costs.

Her tantrums usually start with her sitting in a corner, visibly upset, and she starts shaking. No matter how much you pet her or console her, she's not gonna change her mood until what upsets her is over. I recently painted her room, so she had to sleep in another room for a few days. There was a cat that came into our yard for those few days and she thought the cat had taken her room. Only when she got back to her room, seeing it was still hers, then her mood become normal and she started eating again.

She's very possessive of her room, and her food. Even if a big bug enters her room, she'll throw a tantrum.

Fortunately the couch she made holes in was old and was due for a makeover anyway. Since it was redone she hasn't been allowed near it. Luckily she doesn't go for wires, although she did chew my computer's mouse wire in half one time.

Lol, they always find a way out of being trapped. Your rabbit sounds like a bundle of energy. It's probably best to keep them outside, but within your yard, if that's the case.

As far as I know bunnies will do well with most kinds of animals. My birds are usually caged so they never go into her territory, so that keeps the peace. If your bunny is territorial then a chicken probably isn't the best idea, but maybe you can give it a try and see.

That is so cute! She throws a tantrum over a bug!!! What a very odd critter she is.

Mine are still quite young and have time to get like that but so far they are just very energetic. No possessiveness and still rather unconcerned with what goes on in the house. Though Molly did stay in the corner more than usual while we had a dog around. Certainly never affected her appetite. These two love to eat.

We are going to build a play area for them in the back yard. Too many hawks and stuff to just let them have the full yard. Can't imagine them not getting outside a bit when it's warm enough, the poor things will need fresh air.

Your bunny seems like a great pet. Bunnies are all so different. My sister's bunnies are complete opposites. One hyper, sorta mean bunny, the other a quiet little mellow guy who crawls up into her lap and falls asleep.

My bunny didn't mix well with cats, but that was mostly because my cats didn't enjoy being pounced and humped. My cats never lashed out, they just avoided the bunny at all costs.
Oh, my! Poor cats. I have no cats and Larry will be neutered soon to hopefully avoid that sorta humping issue (I've had cats though that humped pillows and stuff anyways). Good to know that a bunny can scare a cat. My sister has one rather plump older cat she'd like to introduce to her bunnies at some point and it sounds like they will have a good chance of coexisting.

New Threads

Top Bottom