• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Building the Autism Express in G scale

artfull dodger

As everybody pretty much knows, I am obsessed with trains. When I attended the huge Autism Expo in Indianapolis early this month, a gentleman that I know from the local G scale model train shop had set up a loop of track and was running a train and advertising for the shop. That gave me 2 ideas. First off the shop needed to have trains there for sale, there were others with toys ideal for autistic children there. And that I wanted to build on my idea for a train decorated up specificaly for autism. At the that shop I found an old Kalamazoo brand set that fit the bill perfectly. The old time style locomotive is quite colorful as can be seen below. Along with the locomotive and green tender car, I got 2 passenger cars that I will redecorate for the Autism Express, there were also 3 gondola style cars with seats in them for figures to sit on. Kind of like you might see on a train at an amusement park. Most importantly was the train was affordable, large scale trains can be quite expensive. I got the engine/tender, 2 passenger cars, 3 gondolas and a caboose for $200. That is very cheap. I hope to have the train completely ready before the next autism expo in northern Indiana this coming October. More pics to come as I decorate the train. Mike
$_1.JPG
MT-0077478_58b921aa-66dd-11e1-b738-e091f5975601_00.jpg
eb5df6b4f303676d4ae3105b2e9f173b8097f10d-1_20140211-140712-C1-Trainz-3618859-05.jpg
MT-0129694_ffaa0ca0-4451-11e4-ad40-d06a42375282_00.jpg

I can say that the operating train was a huge hit with young and old alike at the expo, he had run out of flyers for the shop an hour before the expo ended. I hope to help with the booth next year and set up my own at the expo in northern Indiana this coming October. If anybody here makes or sells autism decals, please let me know. I found a few possiblities over on ebay that might work on the passenger cars. Mike

HO is 1:87th scale, G scale is actualy several different scales using the same track gauge of 45mm between the rails. without going into all of the different scale in the G scale world. This train is 1:24th scale. Its weather proof, can be run in the rain, snow and sunlight. Mike

I think that you should start with a violet locomotive & tender car, then indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange followed by a red caboose; the Spectrum Express! ;)

Last edited:
Good idea for a Spectrum Express, but a bit hard to repaint everything. The plastic these are made from doesn't like to be painted. That is a LGB starter set, which is G scale, running in that video.

HO is 1:87th scale, G scale is actualy several different scales using the same track gauge of 45mm between the rails. without going into all of the different scale in the G scale world. This train is 1:24th scale. Its weather proof, can be run in the rain, snow and sunlight. Mike

You can run it outside in the rain? That is amazing, that is so cool. I would love to be able to run a train on a schedule through the weather. Clear the tracks of leaves, in another season keep it clear of snow. You could make an imaginary city. I would like that. :)

They make working snow plows that work to some degree for snow removal. A 1-2 inch snow fall is a couple feet of snow in G scale. I dont like being in the weather, so mine don't get to run in the bad weather, they are just able to. I have track set up inside that I use in the winter and on rainy days. The trains are my main way to cope when I am stressed or overwhelmed. I made some progress tonight on the train, I used a pink eraser and rubbing alcohol to soften and remove all the original factory applied lettering from the passenger cars. A gentleman from a model train forum is making the custom decals that will get applied. Once the decals go on and dry, the cars get an overcoat of clear paint. I normaly use Testors gloss coat. I will have to see if Krylon makes a clear overcoat. Mike

They make working snow plows that work to some degree for snow removal. A 1-2 inch snow fall is a couple feet of snow in G scale. I dont like being in the weather, so mine don't get to run in the bad weather, they are just able to. I have track set up inside that I use in the winter and on rainy days. The trains are my main way to cope when I am stressed or overwhelmed. I made some progress tonight on the train, I used a pink eraser and rubbing alcohol to soften and remove all the original factory applied lettering from the passenger cars. A gentleman from a model train forum is making the custom decals that will get applied. Once the decals go on and dry, the cars get an overcoat of clear paint. I normaly use Testors gloss coat. I will have to see if Krylon makes a clear overcoat. Mike

How do you apply the clear coat? How do you apply it so it is thin, smooth and clear?

The clear coat is done with a spray can, not a brush. Thru the generosity of others at the model train forum I belong to, the decals to make the special train have been ordered(They were not cheap!). I also have a caboose donated and have several others trying to find the 3 car for the passenger train, which is the Observation car with the rear viewing platform. Mike

The clear coat is done with a spray can, not a brush. Thru the generosity of others at the model train forum I belong to, the decals to make the special train have been ordered(They were not cheap!). I also have a caboose donated and have several others trying to find the 3 car for the passenger train, which is the Observation car with the rear viewing platform. Mike

You have such nice friends.

I would like to ask you about the spray clear coat. I have a can and haven't used it yet. If you use spray instead of a brush, does the coat automatically dry smooth?

Yes it dries smooth. I can get clear top coat in both satin and gloss finish, I used gloss on the cars pictured below. I got the custom decals earlier this week. Got the first 2 cars done tonight. I am still searching for the 3rd car, looks similar to the one that doesn't say "baggage" on it but has an observation platform at the rear. I have enough decals for a couple more coaches as well. Cars retain thier plastic wheel sets, quieter running and easier on the ears when running overhead indoors. They will all have battery powered LED lighting inside them, the keep the lights subdued at the Autism Expos, so the lighted cars will stand out and look nice. I plan to put seats and people figures sitting in those seats. Mike P.S. Before someone asks, the MCRR stands for Michigan Central Rail Road. Kalamazoo Toy Trains were made right there in Michigan.

New Threads

Top Bottom