• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bugs as pets

Tom

V.I.P Member
I am sort of a 'bug person'. I don't actually have any bug pets but have always been interested in them (especially ants whose social complexity fascinates me). And I have seen some of the larger species do seem to take to being a pet. My only experience is that if you put your arm out still when a butterfly or large moth is about they occasionally will land on you. They seem curious. Anyway recently I saw one bug that would make the coolest pet, if only they were still around. Meet the Arthropleura Centipede. Seven feet of fun and frolic! :D A great guard bug btw.
59dbe05c0b7cf117fd5a9515162721dc

I am sort of a 'bug person'. I don't actually have any bug pets but have always been interested in them (especially ants whose social complexity fascinates me). And I have seen some of the larger species do seem to take to being a pet. My only experience is that if you put your arm out still when a butterfly or large moth is about they occasionally will land on you. They seem curious. Anyway recently I saw one bug that would make the coolest pet, if only they were still around. Meet the Arthropleura Centipede. Seven feet of fun and frolic! :D A great guard bug btw.
59dbe05c0b7cf117fd5a9515162721dc

Here's the episode of the show where that giant Millipede is shown:

Last edited:
How about a Weta from New Zealand?

The sharp legs might be an issue, as they've got a pretty nasty kick from what I've read.

Here's something I've found:
IMGP5481.jpg

A mountain stone weta (Hemideina maori). This weta defends itself aggressively, kicking with its spiny legs and stridulating. If that fails, the weta throws itself on its back, with all its legs in the air, trying to grab and bite the offender.

Last edited:
I know someone who has stick bugs as pets. Some apparently got out of their container and must have laid eggs around in the house. Because tiny little stick bugs are now popping up here and there unexpectedly.

Heard about that little girl with pet cockroaches? Interesting though I'm more rat person myself.

There’s always the Madagascar hissing roach. I had a biology professor who adored them. They smacked on fruit, and we’re docile to handle. I held one. I felt terrified before I held it. Once it was placed on my palm, I connected easily with the creature, and calmed right away. They seem super-duper scary until you actually hold one.

My grandson has a pet tarantula. Grandma does not like it because it has hairy legs and flicks little hairs at you.

My grandson has a pet tarantula. Grandma does not like it because it has hairy legs and flicks little hairs at you.

Yeah, they do that as a defensive mechanism as the hairs can be irritating to certain creatures. I know the Chilean Red Knee Tarantulas do it, to the point they end up with an exposed rear:
BsmithiMolt-000.jpg

I've heard of stick bug and hissing cockroach pets before. That reminds me of a joke I just read. If LA gets nuked the only things likely to survive are cockroaches and Cher.

@Tom There should be a 'groan' button.

so a bare tarantula butt might indicate the spider has been stressed out.

It is true tarantulas are usually docile. On a camping trip I woke up with a large tarantula inside my sleeping bag. It did not harm me, just slowly climbed over my err nakedness and walked away.

I secretly had pet snails and pet ladybugs as a kid. Turns out snails won't stay in a shoebox, though, no matter how pretty you make it. My mom was none too enthusiastic to go on a snail hunt in my bedroom when she found out.

I've always thought about keeping bugs as pets. Like ants, walking sticks, or praying mantis. I hear praying mantises are fun to keep, especially the more exotic ones like the Orchid mantis
maxresdefault.jpg

I've always thought about keeping bugs as pets. Like ants, walking sticks, or praying mantis. I hear praying mantises are fun to keep, especially the more exotic ones like the Orchid mantis
maxresdefault.jpg

I always liked the slow careful movement of mantises but never realized there were such beautiful ones. :O

I secretly had pet snails and pet ladybugs as a kid. Turns out snails won't stay in a shoebox, though, no matter how pretty you make it. My mom was none too enthusiastic to go on a snail hunt in my bedroom when she found out.

I always like Ladybugs too. Sadly they seem in decline like many other things, I don't see them that often now... probably due to pesticides. :( I think snails are among the free spirits of the small world, wanderers by nature. With their house on their back, lovers of the open road. :D

I always like Ladybugs too. Sadly they seem in decline like many other things, I don't see them that often now... probably due to pesticides. :( I think snails are among the free spirits of the small world, wanderers by nature. With their house on their back, lovers of the open road. :D
Ladybugs are so cool! As a kid I used to collect everything that had to do with ladybugs. On a family holiday I took a trip in the mountains in Italy once when apparently it was just the season for ladybugs to hatch. There was a swarm, millions upon millions of ladybugs in the air. It was amazing to watch. That's over 20 years ago now, though.

Ladybugs are so cool! As a kid I used to collect everything that had to do with ladybugs. On a family holiday I took a trip in the mountains in Italy once when apparently it was just the season for ladybugs to hatch. There was a swarm, millions upon millions of ladybugs in the air. It was amazing to watch. That's over 20 years ago now, though.

That sounds like a amazing experience. The only similiar experience I had was when in remote areas (with military) during May Fly hatchings. They get drawn by the 10s of thousands to the lights and are in a frenzy. I think I would be in a frenzy too if I only lived for a few hours. But then they swarm you, fly in your clothes, mouth, nose, everything and also into all the buildings and equipment, your coffee, you name it. Its more like a horror movie or alien invasion. And then its over and your sweeping up whole drifts of spent May Flys.

What I like about Lady Bugs is their colorfull look and calm demeanor. The way they patiently walk slowly to the highest point and take off. The way the back shell splits apart mechanically and deploys the wings is pretty cool too.

When I was little I tried to keep tent caterpillars as pets...I set up a home for them in an ice cream bucket with leaves and twigs and air holes in the lid. I wasn't allowed to keep them, I had to set them free (this was a good thing for them, but I was sad).

I also really like ladybugs....I was thinking I would get some if I ever grow vegetables and get aphids (but then I'd worry about them having a food source once the aphids were gone -- I'd have to set them free).

Last edited:
When I was little I tried to keep tent caterpillars as pets...I set up a home for them in an ice cream bucket with leaves and twigs and air holes in the lid. I wasn't allowed to keep them, I had to set them free (this was a good thing for them, but I was sad).

I also really like ladybugs....I was thinking I would get some if I ever grow vegetables and get aphids (but then I'd worry about them having a food source once the aphids were gone -- I'd have to set them free).

I think they would be ok as they eat many types of insects I believe. I am not sure if that would work in a city though.

New Threads

Top Bottom