• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Brushing Teeth and Martial Arts

Vitamin Sea

My son totally dislikes brushing his teeth. I've done everything I can to help him with this task. He avoids it at all costs, he becomes a karate master, using his strong and nimble arms to escape from my grip. It is a nightmare. Sometimes, I just to skip it to avoid injury.

Other times, I get extra resourceful. I put toothpaste on a cotton bud because he is hyper sensitive with the bristles. Or I use a clean towel, or my finger. Yes, it is gross but I'm at my wit's end.

It is a good thing that we put him away from sweets, otherwise he might have tooth decay with his poor oral hygiene.

What can be another substitute for a toothbrush?

Certain brands make "extra soft" toothbrushes. Have you tried them? (some of the "extra soft" toothbrushes actually aren't that soft though...Preserve is the brand I liked best, before I switched to a Sonicare.

If you google "toothbrush for sensory issues" all kinds of potentially helpful info comes up.

Have you tried different brands/flavors of toothpaste? That might be an issue too - some toothpaste has so much mint that it feels like BenGay lol...

Every commerical brand of toothpaste chemically burned the inside of my mouth when I was a child. Usually I could not sleep for hours afterwards as a result. My mother tried baking soda (bitter), which also didn't work.

I have found some toothpastes as an adult that I can tolerate: RADIUS – Kids' Toothpaste, Davids – Vegan Toothpaste, Earthpaste Lemon Twist, all manufactured in the US. And a Canadian brand with many flavours under the Green Beaver brand name. You could try buying a few types and see which one your child will tolerate.

Toothpaste was my first thought but if he tolerates it without a brush, all I can think of is a very soft silicone brush

images

How old is your son? I gave both my kids very soft brushes to chew on when they were teething and by the time they had enough teeth to brush they were very fond of them.

That's a sensory issue for sure. My son also dislikes getting his teeth brushed. What we did was switch him to baby toothpaste (which I'm assuming tastes nice). Also letting him chew on the brush a little bit helps. Another thing we did was get him a very soft and quiet electric toothbrush to prepare him for future dental visits.

Good luck, I can understand how hard it is.

That's a sensory issue for sure. My son also dislikes getting his teeth brushed. What we did was switch him to baby toothpaste (which I'm assuming tastes nice). Also letting him chew on the brush a little bit helps. Another thing we did was get him a very soft and quiet electric toothbrush to prepare him for future dental visits.

This reminds me of how when I was a kid I used to chew on the brush for a long time instead of brushing my teeth. I'd just sit there and chew on the brush.

I loved to chew on things.

Stryker toothette soft foam head, single use, disposable tooth brushes.
I wish my Mom had something like this when I was being taught to brush.
Absolutely hated it. Not only the brush, but, OMG the feel of toothpaste in my mouth!
Sticky, foaming, ick. Then rinsing it out was... well, I gagged.

I have used these foam disposable brushes in hospital stays.
And now I use liquid toothpaste which does not foam and froth.
Mom had a very hard time with me and brushing.
She finally got a small, very soft bristled brush and I found I could stand baking soda
despite the taste. At least it didn't foam.

I'm 63 years old and spent a lifetime of never liking to brush my teeth.
But, I don't like poor dental hygiene, so I just resolved to just do it and get it over with twice daily.
Followed by mild mouthwash like Thera-breath.
Hopefully he will find a clean mouth is worth the effort if you try different things.

My son totally dislikes brushing his teeth. I've done everything I can to help him with this task. He avoids it at all costs, he becomes a karate master, using his strong and nimble arms to escape from my grip. It is a nightmare. Sometimes, I just to skip it to avoid injury.

Other times, I get extra resourceful. I put toothpaste on a cotton bud because he is hyper sensitive with the bristles. Or I use a clean towel, or my finger. Yes, it is gross but I'm at my wit's end.

It is a good thing that we put him away from sweets, otherwise he might have tooth decay with his poor oral hygiene.

What can be another substitute for a toothbrush?

I don't like washing my teeth because of toothpaste's taste. I find it disgusting and extremely violent in my mouth. I can do it with traditional toothpastes if I have to because I'm an adult, but I hate it. I used kid's toothpastes until I was 14 I think, then I forced myself to use the "normal ones" for many years, and at around 23 I started to look for toothpastes that wouldn't be such a struggle to use for me, I had a complete burn out about using it, it's extremely aggressive. I have no idea how people don't see that.

I found some biological toothpastes have a taste that's less horrible. I don't know where you live, but I found some of Weleda and Lavera to not have this awful taste, especially the ones for the gums. I guess because they're supposed to "repair" something they give them a more comfortable taste and not that super aggressive one (but in the mainstream toothpastes, even the ones for the gums won't work for me, they don't understand that the basic taste they're giving to the paste is aggressive anyway). I also found some ayurvedic toothpastes that were okay, they had a lot of plant taste that I don't find violent even if it's strong. I also dislike all that's menthol or "fresh" or whatever even in biological, we're not friends. Mostly, the nearer the taste is to something that I could eat or just a neutral paste taste, the more I feel okay with it. The further it is from something you'd want to eat and the more you need to spit and get rid of it, the less I'm okay to put it in my mouth, but it just seems increased compared to other people. For me it's a struggle. That's a good scale to evaluate whether a toothpaste will be aggressive for me or not.
Unless the taste really doesn't bother me, I also put a very reduced amount of toothpaste on the toothbush, and I just add more if it's necessary.

But those mainstream toothpastes with this horrible taste that's supposed to show that it's REALLY cleaning are awful, violent and aggressive. Cleaning my mouth isn't like cleaning toilets, thanks. Lol.
To this day I really have no idea how people buy that and feel it's perfectly okay (?).

I hope this helps.

Also, a very soft and SMALL toothbrush might help. The smallest the "head" of the tooth and the finest the "body" I think would be the less invasive. I still choose the toothbrushes with the smallest "heads" rather than bigger models.

To be honest I had a poor dental hygiene in my childhood (neglect or me being a nightmare, I'm not sure), and my teeth are okay, only one isn't and it's not uncommon either.
Most likely if he defends himself it means that something's really aggressive for him, it might also get better just with growing up. Now I don't know if it's the toothpaste, the hard feeling of the toothbrush, the toothbrush just being too big and invasive, I share my personal experience with that so you can maybe try other stuffs and see what's the aggressive thing and what's causing aversion. Maybe it's all of them.

Last edited:
Certain brands make "extra soft" toothbrushes. Have you tried them? (some of the "extra soft" toothbrushes actually aren't that soft though...Preserve is the brand I liked best, before I switched to a Sonicare.

If you google "toothbrush for sensory issues" all kinds of potentially helpful info comes up.

Have you tried different brands/flavors of toothpaste? That might be an issue too - some toothpaste has so much mint that it feels like BenGay lol...

Thanks. I live in a different country and those toothbrush brands are not available. Here, Colgate for kids and Oral B have soft bristles.

Maybe after quarantine/lock down, I can explore if those products you suggested are available for shipment, yet import taxes and shipping fees can cost much higher than the actual product.

As for my son, he likes most kiddie toothpaste but all kinds of toothbrush are too painful for him. I sometimes use gum brush or the silicone brush for babies, just anything I can think of. Dentist and OT also had their suggestions, and I'm incorporating everything as best as possible.

Every commerical brand of toothpaste chemically burned the inside of my mouth when I was a child. Usually I could not sleep for hours afterwards as a result. My mother tried baking soda (bitter), which also didn't work.

I have found some toothpastes as an adult that I can tolerate: RADIUS – Kids' Toothpaste, Davids – Vegan Toothpaste, Earthpaste Lemon Twist, all manufactured in the US. And a Canadian brand with many flavours under the Green Beaver brand name. You could try buying a few types and see which one your child will tolerate.

Thanks Mia. I always look forward to your suggestions since before. You have a way of helping me, I remembered the first time it was about make up and some girl talk. You are like a big sister to me. Take care.

Toothpaste was my first thought but if he tolerates it without a brush, all I can think of is a very soft silicone brush

images

How old is your son? I gave both my kids very soft brushes to chew on when they were teething and by the time they had enough teeth to brush they were very fond of them.

Thanks. He is 11. He used to have about 3 silicone brushes and I let him use them on his own. I had disposed all of them over time since he would just leave them under the bed or couch for several days until they looked so filthy.

Our department stores are still closed and these silicone brushes are not available in most supermarkets. After lock down, I will buy more of them and also purchase more soft toothbrushes .

Thanks Major Tom. We had given him different forms of gum massage as suggested by his OT and speech therapist to address his sensory issues. He had an electric toothbrush too with that usual vibrating sound but he got terrified. I was the recipient of that electric toothbrush some time later.

I'm trying to be more patient and yet speedy in my reflexes this time.

Stryker toothette soft foam head, single use, disposable tooth brushes.
I wish my Mom had something like this when I was being taught to brush.
Absolutely hated it. Not only the brush, but, OMG the feel of toothpaste in my mouth!
Sticky, foaming, ick. Then rinsing it out was... well, I gagged.

I have used these foam disposable brushes in hospital stays.
And now I use liquid toothpaste which does not foam and froth.
Mom had a very hard time with me and brushing.
She finally got a small, very soft bristled brush and I found I could stand baking soda
despite the taste. At least it didn't foam.

I'm 63 years old and spent a lifetime of never liking to brush my teeth.
But, I don't like poor dental hygiene, so I just resolved to just do it and get it over with twice daily.
Followed by mild mouthwash like Thera-breath.
Hopefully he will find a clean mouth is worth the effort if you try different things.
Thanks. There are many alternative products within your reach. He likes most kiddie toothpastes. The problem is his sensory issue with the toothbrush bristles. From all your suggestions and the other forum members, my option is to order those products from online international sites. We have limited products in my country.

I don't like washing my teeth because of toothpaste's taste. I find it disgusting and extremely violent in my mouth. I can do it with traditional toothpastes if I have to because I'm an adult, but I hate it. I used kid's toothpastes until I was 14 I think, then I forced myself to use the "normal ones" for many years, and at around 23 I started to look for toothpastes that wouldn't be such a struggle to use for me, I had a complete burn out about using it, it's extremely aggressive. I have no idea how people don't see that.

I found some biological toothpastes have a taste that's less horrible. I don't know where you live, but I found some of Weleda and Lavera to not have this awful taste, especially the ones for the gums. I guess because they're supposed to "repair" something they give them a more comfortable taste and not that super aggressive one (but in the mainstream toothpastes, even the ones for the gums won't work for me, they don't understand that the basic taste they're giving to the paste is aggressive anyway). I also found some ayurvedic toothpastes that were okay, they had a lot of plant taste that I don't find violent even if it's strong. I also dislike all that's menthol or "fresh" or whatever even in biological, we're not friends. Mostly, the nearer the taste is to something that I could eat or just a neutral paste taste, the more I feel okay with it. The further it is from something you'd want to eat and the more you need to spit and get rid of it, the less I'm okay to put it in my mouth, but it just seems increased compared to other people. For me it's a struggle. That's a good scale to evaluate whether a toothpaste will be aggressive for me or not.
Unless the taste really doesn't bother me, I also put a very reduced amount of toothpaste on the toothbush, and I just add more if it's necessary.

But those mainstream toothpastes with this horrible taste that's supposed to show that it's REALLY cleaning are awful, violent and aggressive. Cleaning my mouth isn't like cleaning toilets, thanks. Lol.
To this day I really have no idea how people buy that and feel it's perfectly okay (?).

I hope this helps.

Also, a very soft and SMALL toothbrush might help. The smallest the "head" of the tooth and the finest the "body" I think would be the less invasive. I still choose the toothbrushes with the smallest "heads" rather than bigger models.

To be honest I had a poor dental hygiene in my childhood (neglect or me being a nightmare, I'm not sure), and my teeth are okay, only one isn't and it's not uncommon either.
Most likely if he defends himself it means that something's really aggressive for him, it might also get better just with growing up. Now I don't know if it's the toothpaste, the hard feeling of the toothbrush, the toothbrush just being too big and invasive, I share my personal experience with that so you can maybe try other stuffs and see what's the aggressive thing and what's causing aversion. Maybe it's all of them.

Thanks Els. Sometimes, I let him lie down on the bed or couch and use my lap as a pillow just to make him more comfortable with this task. Some days, this strategy is effective yet sometimes I get flustered when he is too aggressive I can't think well.

One time, he moved his head away too quickly as I was about to put the brush into his mouth. That led to the blue toothpaste landing on his eyelid. It looked like an eye shadow, lol. I wish I can just be quick and skillful with this task, I'm learning...

I also need to upgrade my skills and physical strength as a Sped mom. He is now 11, and he is almost as tall as I am.

Thanks. He is 11. He used to have about 3 silicone brushes and I let him use them on his own. I had disposed all of them over time since he would just leave them under the bed or couch for several days until they looked so filthy.

Our department stores are still closed and these silicone brushes are not available in most supermarkets. After lock down, I will buy more of them and also purchase more soft toothbrushes .

If you're in Europe by any chance, you can find the silicone ones on Amazon (UK and Germany have them), or it might be worth checking the online shops in your country. I have other uses for them and they clean really well after soaking in hot water and soap and you can also use a bit of alcohol after.

I dislike eating something and then the taste of toothpaste mixed in. Like if I could magically floss every possible place, get rid of every single remnant of what I have eaten and have a completely fresh mouth that might be ok. But after eating something like peanut butter, which I really like, without getting every trace of peanut butter out so there is zero mixture with toothpaste flavor left over really bothers me.

I have bought and sold things and I really regret selling an expensive tooth cleaner thingy. Because if there is any trace at all of food and toothpaste mixed together, it really bothers me, so I start not brushing my teeth

I know all this sounds gross and like horrible hygeniene, but just being honest

I dislike eating something and then the taste of toothpaste mixed in. Like if I could magically floss every possible place, get rid of every single remnant of what I have eaten and have a completely fresh mouth that might be ok. But after eating something like peanut butter, which I really like, without getting every trace of peanut butter out so there is zero mixture with toothpaste flavor left over really bothers me.

I have bought and sold things and I really regret selling an expensive tooth cleaner thingy. Because if there is any trace at all of food and toothpaste mixed together, it really bothers me, so I start not brushing my teeth

I know all this sounds gross and like horrible hygeniene, but just being honest

We all have different quirks.

I really love to read feedback from other aspies about this sensory issue. Thanks.

New Threads

Top Bottom