• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Browser Wars: Microsoft Finally Yields To Google

Can't say I'm happy about it Judge. Have used Edge a little as well as Chrome but I stay away from Chrome for my own reasons, one of them being that it's awfully nosy. Not happy with Edge just yet, I'd hoped they would pare it down and make it less 'user friendly' but that's me. Don't like a browser that make decisions for me. Such as which web pages are permissible and which they block for some incomplete code or a lapsed certificate. Think I'll keep firefox and opera, although firefox has become a massive power sucker these days almost as bad as chrome.

Chromium and Google Chrome are not the same thing.
I don't like the dominance of one browser over most of the market for many reasons

I'm indifferent to either of them as long as I can continue to use Firefox. Though in my case I'm running 16 GB of RAM. So I don't run out of system resources even with many browser windows open at once.

Before that it was always Netscape. For me MSIE was just a device I was once forced to use to download OS updates. Though as a former web developer years ago I had to go to great pains on occasion to make pages cross-browser compliant.

Still, it's a bit disturbing to see a major operating system developer throw in the towel like this.

Last edited:
I've always been a Firefox fan. Why? Because when it come to security, Firefox is the absolute best, it's second to none. I'm not saying it's the best in general. Chrome is faster and more efficient then Firefox. But I value security more then speed. And for that, I use Firefox.

I use a browser that suits my needs at the time. I use several Android devices and Google services so Chrome is convenient but I use Opera and Firefox for specific purposes. Edge has been substandard since it was introduced IMO so I wont mourn it's passing ;)

Meh, one day, if it hasn't already happened, Google will take over the world.

At least then all the Google fanboys on here will have a Party in their undergarments.

Meh, one day, if it hasn't already happened, Google will take over the world.

At least then all the Google fanboys on here will have a Party in their undergarments.

That's not a very nice thing to say Rich. Why is it important what OS or hardware someone uses. It's what they do with it that counts isn't it? I have at least 4 Android devices (and a couple of Windows) on the go at a time. Does that make ME a "Google Fanboy" in your eyes?

I don't personally want to see any company or country dominate the world market in anything. As someone who has been using computers since 1980 on many different formats I would rather see diversity in that market as much as in the human race.

Wouldn't you mate? :)

I use a browser that suits my needs at the time. I use several Android devices and Google services so Chrome is convenient but I use Opera and Firefox for specific purposes. Edge has been substandard since it was introduced IMO so I wont mourn it's passing ;)

What's ironic about this is, is that Microsoft has both the resources and talent to make one of the best web browser in the world. But instead of putting the money into making the browser better. They put it into marketing trying to shove their crappy browser down your throat.

Fair enough. Probably explains why they're more interested in Chrome at work now... I mainly use FireFox at home.

Spot on @FreeDiver it's a dumb situation. The multinational corporation I work for has thrown their chips in with Google - even our internal mail is Gmail in sheep's clothing.if Microsoft threw their all into creating the best browser around they could smash the competition but sadly the marketing types don't recognise the obvious all too often.

MS are going to use the Blink engine in Edge and contribute to the open source Chromium project. What's wrong with this? Edge will be faster and more compatible and the Chromium project will get more development.

BTW Opera moved from the Presto engine to the Blink engine in 2013.

MS are going to use the Blink engine in Edge and contribute to the open source Chromium project. What's wrong with this? Edge will be faster and more compatible and the Chromium project will get more development.

BTW Opera moved from the Presto engine to the Blink engine in 2013.

Point taken. The product isn't going away in the most literal sense.

It's just not going to be wholly proprietary like much of everything else about Microsoft. Though it does reflect that they appear to be going in a different direction in the corporate sense. But then for them this might be an improvement. For us? Time will tell I suppose. Though personally I'm content with Firefox for the timed being.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom