1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

British Royalty

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Giant Hogweed, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Member

Most people don't know how the British Royalty came about. They think they are a group of cuddly people lead by a cuddly queen, whereas in fact they are thieves and murderers, or descended from thieves and murderers, who just stole land and property because they had more men to kill people. Here is an example. Dissolution of the monasteries - Wikipedia The Dissolution of the Monasteries. There was also the land enclosure act much later in history where land was simply stolen from ordinary people.

Today British Royalty continues to live off of the people. Owning huge areas of stolen land and taking money from public taxes.

People have an odd idea about Britain. As though it was this civil society where everything is fair and good. In reality the British governments along with royalty have been involved in suppression of the people and the world in general ever since the first self-proclaimed "royal" invented himself.

This is a much fairer depiction of British Royalty and aristocracy.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I think you may be preaching to the converted for the Americans here. They left a bit before this. However, arguably America was then appropriated from the native populations.

The problem with the way you are putting this is that social norms take one heck of a lot of time and effort to change, apart from just evolving. And arguing that Americans, say should return the stolen land to the survivors of it's native population probably won't find much support. It's a way of looking at things, but it's not something that would be easy to do.

You probably have to think about ways towards change that are gradual. What's your plan?

3. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It might be a wise idea to move this thread to religion if you are going to discuss dissolution of the monasteries

4. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Member

I don't think so.

5. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

?

6. Kevin1968

Kevin1968 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I suspect if there wasn't a "Royal Family" some other dynasty would be there instead (I suspect they would be more discreet as they are in USA).

Even communist regimes have had their elite groups of people who no doubt got their power from oppressing others.

Most of the people who have perhaps "earned" their wealth more innocently such as Bill Gates etc., haven't really worked for all of it either, just been lucky enough with an idea at the right time.

Jeff Bezos could be said to be exploiting more people that the royal family with the alleged conditions in Amazon warehouses and Apple has been accused of allowing practically slave conditions to persist in China.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Member

Bill Gates innocently earning his wealth? Well that's another topic. :)

Yes Kevin, really we are talking about abuses of power. However we don't need the Royal Family abusing theirs anymore than we need a Brazilian dictator abusing his.

8. Kevin1968

Kevin1968 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Beyond being landowners the royal family don't have any real power (some ceremonial powers but real power was removed from the royalty a long time ago).

There have even been arguments made that as a tourist attraction the royalty bring in more money to Britain than they cost. (even many Americans lol)

9. Ronald Zeeman

Ronald Zeeman Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

IN my opinion Meritocracy is always better than a aristocracy, even a flawed one I learned way too much English history in high school,

10. oregano

oregano Title left intentionally blank V.I.P Member

Read up on the Act of Settlement. It was enacted in the early 18 century as a peace agreement to settle centuries of civil warfare. The last pre-Settlement monarch was Queen Anne. She died in 1712 or 1714 (can't remember exactly), after which Parliament realized that the Act was written in such a way that ALL lineages of royalty in Britain were barred from the throne. Britain might have become a republic, but that was stained by the Cromwell regime in the 1660s.

A desperate Parliament decided to shop the crown around to any European prince who desired it. Problem was, nobody wanted it. Finally they got a minor prince, George of Hannover, which is now in Germany, to take it. George wasn't even titled as a king or prince in his homeland, he was "Elector".

The first two King Georges rarely visited Britain and spoke virtually zero English. The first one to care was George III, who took the throne in 1760. George then botched the rebellion in the American Colonies (aka American Revolutionary War) in such a fashion that the British homeland itself came perilously close to a domestic popular rebellion. He eventually went insane.

The House of Orange (the original name of Elector George's "royal house") is full of mediocre monarchs and a couple outright weirdos (Edward VIII fits that category, if he hadn't been forced out he would've handed Britain to Hitler, in which case history would've turned out VERY differently). Elizabeth II is pretty much the only Orange monarch with their head screwed on straight. After her, the deluge, IMO. Young Britons overwhelmingly oppose the monarchy by a 2 to 1 margin in some polls.

I don't think that "the British monarchs got their position by killing lots of people" idea is quite accurate. They got where they are because OTHER royal lineages in Britain killed so many people that they were forced out of the throne, and nobody except their ancestor Elector George wanted anything to do with Britain. I know this is OT, but I hope it can be allowed to stay up since people need to know the truth about how Queen Elizabeth and her trainwreck of a family got where they are.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Rexi

Rexi uwu owo uwu SlightlyFilterless Atheist Science=<3 V.I.P Member

This reminds me of something Romania has been dealing with in communism. They took people's land and even houses and today the state can give back, but its a lengthy difficult process. The payback was very little but some people got the correct amounts back now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Member

You learned what they wanted you to learn.