• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Brian Wilson

total-recoil

Just thought I'd say he's one of my role-models. I was wondering if Brian actually had aspergers undiagnosed and a lot of people figure that probably he did. For those of you who don't know, Brian was the real talent behind the Beach Boys and his life story may be of some interest to aspie music fans. For a start, Brian had a very autocratic, disciplinarian father who (a bit like Micael Jackson's dad) pushed his kids very hard to become professionals.
I don't quite know when Brian's depression and anxiety issues really kicked in but believe it got quite bad somewhere near to the making of Pet Sounds (Brians work of art that featured Good Vibrations and Sloop John B). Evidently at the time Brian felt he needed to try and compete with the Beatles Sgt Pepper and was getting tired doing Help Me Rhonda and Get Around surf music. The desire to dig into his true artistic genius instantly led to friction between the other band members and Brian's father who couldn't quite figure the new direction that needed to be tried. Anyway, the result was a truly classic album but then Brian sank into depression, drugs and, at one point, was given electro-therapy in hospital.
I have his comeback tour album and he sounded O.K. doing the live gig and redoing some old classic tracks.
I still think to this day God Only Knows is amazing in its simplicity and tones and Paul McCartney praised this track very highly, maybe his favourite song:
The Beach Boys - God only knows - YouTube

I'm not sure whether Wilson is an Aspie.

Even if he isn't, I'm sure many Aspies like his music, and a few Aspies with strong interests and competence in music will want to emulate him as a great musician. :)

Speaking as someone not particularly familiar with the Beach Boys - the only record of theirs I own is Pet Sounds, and I am listening to "God Only Knows" as I write this - I loved reading your piece here. I don't know enough about him to guess whether or not your Aspergers theory may be true, but he certainly had his share of difficulties. Apparently things turned out well for him, since I saw the Beach Boys this past summer and although he looked pretty infirm for most of the concert, he was clearly still doing what he loved, and at his age! So I'm happy to hear your little bit about him here, and it's given me some food for thought.

Speaking as someone not particularly familiar with the Beach Boys - the only record of theirs I own is Pet Sounds, and I am listening to "God Only Knows" as I write this - I loved reading your piece here. I don't know enough about him to guess whether or not your Aspergers theory may be true, but he certainly had his share of difficulties. Apparently things turned out well for him, since I saw the Beach Boys this past summer and although he looked pretty infirm for most of the concert, he was clearly still doing what he loved, and at his age! So I'm happy to hear your little bit about him here, and it's given me some food for thought.
Bill Mumy lists the album Surfs Up as his all time favourite. I think for me, Pet Sounds is my favourite although Surfs Up is pretty good too. I guess I kind of idolise Brian Wilson as a musician, given his upbringing and anxiety issues I feel I can relate to personally. I was googling a bit and aspergers has been suggested as part of Brian's possible diagnosis and a lot of people who met him claim he has a very fixed expression and it seems part of his problem was being at odds with his surroundings (family didn't always quite understand the way he wanted to further explore his musical genius). I think this has always been a pressure on musicians who have had to do boy loves girl songs simply to sell records and find opposition if they want to break new ground and take risks.
Could be he didn't have aspergers but certainly he had pretty similar issues and glad to see his music legacy continues to inspire fans worldwide:
Wouldn't it be nice if we were older
Then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together
In the kind of world where we belong."

...a lot of people who met him claim he has a very fixed expression and it seems part of his problem was being at odds with his surroundings (family didn't always quite understand the way he wanted to further explore his musical genius).

You know, I noticed that at the show, but I assumed it was senility.

New Threads

Top Bottom