• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Brewing Kombucha with green tea

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
Hi folks, real quick,

I’m going to be brewing kombucha but I’ll be using green tea instead of black tea, as I’m having a hard time finding any black tea at the store; do you have any tips or advice for brewing kombucha with green tea?

I thought black tea was the most common type.
Or do you need something fancier than Lipton?

It's the same. But green tea is a little more fizzier.

There is a similar ferment to kombucha called Jun, and it uses exclusively green tea and honey. It's a different scoby culture. Kombucha doesn't like honey.

I'm going to start brewing Tibicos again soon. I'm very excited.

Have fun!

Love Kombucha. When it came to the health store, l was hooked pretty fast. In winter, l love Chai.

World Market usually has good British black tea. Look for Yorkshire brand or P.G. Tips. I can't help with the Kombacha though.

I bought a scoby off ebay once, it came with a big black hair in it.:eek: I've been so grossed out that I never touched Komacha again! :(

Kombucha - Wikipedia
"Kombucha is produced by fermenting sugared tea using a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY) commonly called a "mother" or "mushroom"."

A friend of mine used to make kombucha.

It's not something I'd use.
The ingredients would mess me up.
sugar
caffeine

Kombucha - Wikipedia
"Kombucha is produced by fermenting sugared tea using a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY) commonly called a "mother" or "mushroom"."

A friend of mine used to make kombucha.

It's not something I'd use.
The ingredients would mess me up.
sugar
caffeine

You could use decaf tea, Tree. But I understand about the sugar.

I used to brew my own Kombucha for a few years straight. I stopped because I felt it was starting to do a number on my teeth with the sugar and the acidity.

Unless decaf tea is very different from decaf coffee,
it would have too much caffeine. Decaffeinated coffee
gives me hives, because I am allergic to caffeine.

By "decaf" do you mean tea that has had the caffeine
reduced? Or do you mean herbal teas that never had
any caffeine to begin with?

Unless decaf tea is very different from decaf coffee,
it would have too much caffeine. Decaffeinated coffee
gives me hives, because I am allergic to caffeine.

By "decaf" do you mean tea that has had the caffeine
reduced? Or do you mean herbal teas that never had
any caffeine to begin with?

Herbal "tea" is actually a misnomer. A non-caffeinated herb steeped in hot water is technically known as a "tisane".

If you have an allergy to any amount of caffeine then a decaffeinated tea, even a green or white tea which has very low caffeine levels to begin with would exacerbate your allergy I would guess. I'm assuming you can't consume chocolate either?

New Threads

Top Bottom