1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Breaking News

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Wolf Prince, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

In wake of mass shootings walmart pulling all first person shooters games, related R rated dvds and hunting documentaries. Video below explains.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative V.I.P Member

Gee, this will sure go over well with customers.

Also... they sell guns, but it seems like they arent stopping THAT?

I see that logic is in full force here. Granted, it's Walmart, it's not like anyone expects much.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Shamar

Shamar Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Reminds me of K-mart after the 9/11 hijackings. In order to honor the 9/11 victims, they decided to stop selling guns. To this day they continue to sell box cutters and similar knives (For those of you who don't remember, the were no guns used in the hijackings. The only weapons were box cutter knives).

4. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It is interesting that some have brought up that such violent games proliferate in Japan, yet they don't have our homicide statistics. No Second Amendment, either. Though what works for one society is absolutely no blueprint for what might work elsewhere, if at all.

This is an issue that must ultimately be worked out purely on a domestic level only. Provided there is a solution...which in itself is a pretty big question in this equation. :eek:

Though I can recall nearly 20 years ago when I worked in software entertainment in Silicon Valley when similar concerns came up. When certain personalities sought to censor software developers. An effort that ultimately failed.

And there is still the obvious. When retailers choose not to carry something, one can always buy it elsewhere. For me Walmart has always been about price, and seldom about selection.

I guess above all Walmart is one of the last retailers I would even think of when pondering an over-the-counter purchase of software. Though I suppose it will play well in the media for some positive public relations over what seems like a relatively meaningless gesture.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  5. GrownupGirl

GrownupGirl Tempermental Artist

I'm not interested in such games or DVDs to begin with, but I think what they're doing is stupid and pointless.

Human beings have used real weapons to kill each other long before video games were even invented.
    The ancient Romans used to love watching chariot racers having accidents and getting horribly killed.
    Terrier dogs were once commonly placed in pits with rats for blood sport where people would watch the dogs attack and kill the rats, although many dogs got nasty bites and wounds from the rats.
    Warriors in some cultures in history and even now were forced to do horrific things to "toughen" them and make them desensitized to killing and bloodshed.
    My own country's most popular sport is so brutal it makes me wonder why we have the "friendly, polite, and always apologizing" stereotype that refuses to die.

So the real problem we have here is that human beings are buttholes. They're violent, destructive, xenophobic bullies by nature.

Although my mom did tell me once that she and my dad like watching women's hockey because it's less violent and brutal than men's hockey.:)

6. Fridgemagnetman

Fridgemagnetman I only have one V.I.P Member

Now here's Bill with the weather.

7. WildCat

WildCat and his scatterbrain V.I.P Member

No problem here: gamers and movie buffs will simply find another place to get their fix. Steam and Netflix come to mind, and this little stunt will hardly put a dent in Walmart's profits.