• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Boy am I glad the internet exists!

CultOfLoonLoon

Purple Priest
Hi, my name is Nick. I'm 26 years old and recently became a father for the first time. I joined the forum mainly as an attempt to integrate myself back into a social situation. And since verbal communication is NOT my forte, what better platform than the WORLD WIDE WEB to express myself in a way that just 20 years ago might not be possible?
I work long hours in a warehouse with a large group of men who just think I'm bizarre, mentally ill, or downright unintelligent. While I may be a bit bizarre, I am in no way unintelligent. Yes I may stutter a lot, or unintentionally say things that many may consider "random" or "not pertinent", but I have feelings, too, and am often very unable to convey them off the top of my tongue.
I get stuck in these odd, often, seemingly out of the blue phases that consume my mind for weeks at a time and people just assume my opinions on things are shruggable because I often change my mind. For once, I'd like to fit in and have a worth while conversation with folks who have the ability to tap into their understanding of the universality of humanity and really look past the fact that I have odd, out of place sentencing and stutter a lot.

tl;dr:
Hi, folks. Just stopping in to announce that I exist and I am important, too.
Love always, Nick.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Nick :)
Glad to have you join our friendly community. I hope you enjoy the site
Best wishes.
image.jpg

I work long hours in a warehouse with a large group of men who just think I'm bizarre, mentally ill, or downright unintelligent.
That sounds rough. I could never work in that kind of environment.

Welcome -- hope you find what you're looking for here.

Welcome to AC, Nick. I once worked in a warehouse as well. One of the worst jobs I had. Not because of the backbreaking work at the time, but because I was perpetually treated as an outsider.

Hi Nick, I'm glad you joined AC! You will find you're not alone here. :)

Looking forward to reading more from you.

Oh, and congratulations on the birth of your child! :)

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcomes! I'm really glad I stumbled upon this site and I'm excited to talk to other people with ASD and their loved ones!

Welcome to Central CultOfLoonLoon I worked in a couple of warehouse jobs in the UK during my Employment Agencies years. I fell foul of needing to key in multi-digits when the stock scanners failed coz more than a couple of the same numbers appearing together makes my eyes & head swim :) I remember too, falling out with a manager who was standing over us group of girls, urging us to pack quicker to fulfill an outwards order. I suggested it might get done quicker if he actually participated in helping with this task rather than standing there overseeing & berating us...aaaahhh, happy memories (not) :)

CultOfLoonLoon

Welcome to the forums.

I'd like to fit in and have a worth while conversation with folks who have the ability to tap into their understanding of the universality of humanity and really look past the fact that I have odd, out of place sentencing and stutter a lot.

You came at the right place. Most of people around here will be glad to share their experience in the hope that it will help you figure out ways to deal with kind of situations, which I, along with others here, are confronted to.

CultOfLoonLoon

Welcome to the forums.

You came at the right place. Most of people around here will be glad to share their experience in the hope that it will help you figure out ways to deal with kind of situations, which I, along with others here, are confronted to.
That's the feeling I immediately got! It's kind of like an interactive self-help book!

Welcome to Central CultOfLoonLoon I worked in a couple of warehouse jobs in the UK during my Employment Agencies years. I fell foul of needing to key in multi-digits when the stock scanners failed coz more than a couple of the same numbers appearing together makes my eyes & head swim :) I remember too, falling out with a manager who was standing over us group of girls, urging us to pack quicker to fulfill an outwards order. I suggested it might get done quicker if he actually participated in helping with this task rather than standing there overseeing & berating us...aaaahhh, happy memories (not) :)
That sounds so fun!(sarcasm)
At my job, I'm required to scan through all these numbers in 8-10 different locations on a sheet of paper and then confirm that the paperwork I have matches the paperwork attached to the parts that are shipping out. They call it "shipping lead", but what it really is is hell. My boss is really insensitive to the needs of his employees and constantly supplies the warehouse with the cheapest supplies possible so that he can save a few bucks. And then we are expected to work at a mechanical pace that's hardly humanly possible! I really need to find new employment, but interviews are really tough. What I'd really like to do is open my own business and sell hand-made toiletries and cosmetics! Haha

Last edited:
I feel your pain CoLL. I used to have a chronic stutter. People tend to hold the false belief that just because somebody has difficulty articulating their thoughts that their thoughts aren't worth hearing.

Also; congratulations on being a new father.

eople tend to hold the false belief that just because somebody has difficulty articulating their thoughts that their thoughts aren't worth hearing.
I aways tend to beat myself up over my inability to articulate my thoughts. Because I can almost physically see my thoughts manifesting in front of me, but I can't describe them to save my life.

And thank you. I already can't imagine my life without him! I never knew the emotional well went so deep.

I can relate. I spent much of my life trying to convince people that yes, I am very intelligent, but not well spoken. Now that I'm in my forties and married with a kid, I'm a bit more relaxed about it, and pretty much everyone who knows me knows me as a really smart guy, but not good in social situations.

I also had a warehouse job in my early twenties. It was great when I was the only one back there in a smaller branch; not so great when I was moved to the head warehouse and became part of a "team."

I can relate. I spent much of my life trying to convince people that yes, I am very intelligent, but not well spoken. Now that I'm in my forties and married with a kid, I'm a bit more relaxed about it, and pretty much everyone who knows me knows me as a really smart guy, but not good in social situations.

I also had a warehouse job in my early twenties. It was great when I was the only one back there in a smaller branch; not so great when I was moved to the head warehouse and became part of a "team."
I got really lucky that I met my wife. She's fairly awkward, too, so I never had to try and be any particular way around her.
The warehouse situation is lousy, but I don't really have an exit strategy yet, so, I have no one to blame but me!
Most of the times I get into depressive moods, my repetitive thought patterns seem to revolve around my speech.

New Threads

Top Bottom