• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Born in the wrong decade

savi83

Hi everybody,

I often imagine what it would be like to have grow up in the 1950's or 1970's. I think that I can relate more to people of those times.

Does anyone else think about what it would be like to live in another time?

Thank you

Hi everybody,

I often imagine what it would be like to have grow up in the 1950's or 1970's. I think that I can relate more to people of those times.

Does anyone else think about what it would be like to live in another time?

Thank you

Well, I did grow up in the 50's and 60's, graduating from high school in 1964. I always wondered what it would it would have been like in the American west in the late 1800's.

Correction: My wife saw this and she says that I never have grown up. I told her that if you have not grown up by the time that you are 70, you do not have to.

Not really since it was a practise for medical professionals to lock up any one who was different or had severe mental health problems. There's a lot of really messed up things happening in this day and age but I wouldn't want to go back to those times either.

I was born at the tail end of 1959, but wish I'd seen the whole of the 1950's. Of course, there was a lot to be desired, as in all eras; but life was more straightforward then. As my condition is pretty mild, I think I'd have got on better then without all the noise, upheaval and confusion that have happened in the decades since.

No much born in the wrong decade, but don't accept modern times since the last decade since we live in an era of lack of creativity for entertainment wise.

Not really since it was a practise for medical professionals to lock up any one who was different or had severe mental health problems. There's a lot of really messed up things happening in this day and age but I wouldn't want to go back to those times either.
I don't know, some days a nice quiet sanitarium could be wonderful!;):D

I've heard that Woody Allen once said that he wouldn't want to travel back to before they had penicillin.

The 1950's was a time of incredible conformity. Don't think so.

Also, on a personal note, as a woman, it would have been awful. Not allowed to have my own credit, buy my own home, few professions open to me...

Not only do I think I was born in the wrong decade, but also the wrong side of the planet! I think sometimes, if I believed in former lives, that I was once in feudal Japan (my best friend thinks I was Samurai at this time, I tend to agree). Even women were allowed to fight at that time, if they had the skills and inclination (which I do), and I seem to get along much better with Martial Artists and veterans. So yeah, if I could be from any time frame, it would be feudal Japan, or the American wilderness before Columbus. Warrior cultures and Nature-religion cultures I seem to do best with. Go figure....

The way things in the city were so rough n the 70's (And then financially tight in the 80's and beyond unless you were already rich), I always thought I belonged in an earlier decade. But then for me, I have to take into account racism, the further back you go!:oops:

I grew up (more or less) in the sixties and they were much the same, just without wifi, "Yesterday" by The Beatles was more like "Tomorrow" and a lot of people were not dead yet. I'd like to be a lichen on a rock somewhere deep in the woods. I would grow very very old very quietly and very few biologists would even know my name. My picture would be in some fine books printed in small numbers and kindred spirits would be depicted on the other pages, so good company there.

Strange question to me.

I guess having lived those years because as Charles Dickens once wrote about another period of time, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

The degree of social/racial/political strife and conformity struggles in general...OMG.

Though I do like to look back at the year 1980, the last time I worked doing paperwork manually before they stuck a CRT in front of me with a keyboard. It seemed the tempo of work was much slower when all I had was a pen and paper to process things. Life was a bit "calmer" in the workplace in my case.

In the 50s and 60s, the "American Dream" was a very real thing to many people. After that IMO, it really became just a dream. Technology has far outpaced individual prosperity. In a world today where so many people of property are actually people just carrying excessive debt.

Last edited:
Not only do I think I was born in the wrong decade, but also the wrong side of the planet! I think sometimes, if I believed in former lives, that I was once in feudal Japan (my best friend thinks I was Samurai at this time, I tend to agree).

I do believe in former lives, so it's possible we already did what we long for :)

My relentless streak of practicality intrudes on such fantasies: dental anesthetic! indoor plumbing! antibiotics! the World Wide Web!

With all its complications, I do like what today has to offer. If we delve into the past, it is both fascinating and important to know what that past is really like. I am currently researching a planned series of mysteries featuring a heroine born in 1900. It is heartbreaking and entirely accurate that her siblings and her parents died of infectious disease by the time she was 16, leaving her an orphan with tuberculosis.

Myself, I would be attracted to the Polynesian islands; or the Six Nations of North America; long before their "discovery" by the Europeans. But who would I be? I would not be myself; knowledge of today would interfere with being a part of that past. I would be me with no knowledge of me now.

The discoverer of King Tut's Tomb died of a shaving cut. I love the Roaring Twenties... but such knowledge gives me incredible pause. Visit as a tourist? Best of both worlds.

Living in an era before electricity has always intrigued me. Perhaps most of all because it would strike me as being so much less complicated than life today.

A time when you survived mostly on your own abilities, and not likely dependent upon the work of others. A dynamic that would probably favor many Aspies.

Last edited:
My husband and I have been watching Vikings and I wondered how someone like me would have faired during that time. My therapist said that someone actually wrote a book about the subject and postulated that centuries ago, people with ADHD and probably even Asperger's (most Aspies also have ADHD) would have likely been hunters, gatherers, or warriors. The ability to focus, but also be easily distracted would have been beneficial in those professions. Farming would not have been, but as a society, we have developed into a farmers' way of life in the way we conduct our affairs; regimented, streamlined, stationary. The book is called "Adult ADHD: How to Succeed as a Hunter in a Farmer's World".
I probably would have been better at surviving in 8th Century Scandinavia than in 20th/21st Century America. Incidentally, I have Viking heritage, so maybe some of my ancestors were Aspies?

Yes, I would like to have grown up before computers and the digital revolution. We now have faster and cheaper technologies than existed at the time. Back then hard work paid off a lot more than today.
I really like alternate history, this being related to being born and raised in the "wrong" decade. See my latest thread on an alternative history discussion board.

I think I would have fit in better in a different time. I also tend to rather socialize with people older or younger than me.

I do not believe in past lives, however, I do believe random data is passed from mother to child for generations. The mother and child are connected not unlike two computers being connected. A data dump takes place. I believe that is why certain animals can be born and immediately know certain things for survival. Part of the evolutionary process, or if you'd rather from a spiritual standpoint, the sins of the fathers visiting the sons and sons of sons. My grandfather was an accomplished artist and spent years perfecting his craft, his children had similar abilities .. seemingly naturally.. and I didn't have to work very hard for artistic ability.

In animals the information that is downloaded is survival and reproduction, in humans there is that, but there is also language and any other hobbies or habits.

I believe this data is stored in the subconscious and can come out naturally, but some people can tap into it better than others. And through hypnosis, can even recall memories not from a past life, but from an ancestor.

Likewise, I have read that traces of various synthetic chemicals can be found in amniotic fluid. The article presented this as a bad thing. I believe the Mother's body prepares the baby for the environment he or she will live in. Both with data and from a genetic survival standpoint. I believe this is part of the adaptation process. Sort of natural genetic engineering, not unlike what NASA believes would be required before interplanetary space travel to 'another earth.' They believe that after several generations of flight the people arriving at the new planet would not be able to survive on the planet and that they would have to genetically engineer their offspring for the new environment.

Ironically had I been born just a bit earlier or later it would have put me at odds with surviving some major wars as a possible enlistee or draftee. :eek:

The possibilities of war could have kept me from even being born given the age and status of my father, who was prematurely graduated from the Naval Academy in 1945 due to the pressing needs of World War Two.

Luckily for both of us fate intervened. Though not at all favorable for Japan at the time.

New Threads

Top Bottom