• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Borderline Personality vs Autism quiz

The study looks only at "autistic traits, systemizing, and empathy," which is all fascinating and thank you for sharing! But I don't think the overlap in these areas is enough to confuse the two, absent other factors.

I answered as if I were answering prior to being on medication and scored 48, which must be the highest because I put "strongly agree" on everything.

Edit: Maybe I should mention that I've been diagnosed with BPD.

Last edited:
I scored very low. l don't fit the profile. If they had a bunch of questions like how confused are you? They need a pure confusion personality test. Something along the lines, answer the questions to figure out how severely confused you are, and how many denial pills you take everyday to get through. And can nobody figure you out?

Are autistic people being misdiagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder?

Borderline Personality Test | Psych Central

As the first topic states, a study or two have been done that have made correlations and suggested bpd to be misdiagnosed sometimes. People have claimed to be on the spectrum.

I’m just curious how many people here relate to at least half of the stuff on the borderline test list?
Like many tests of this nature, I found it pretty much useless. Many of my answers would be 90 degrees from the spectrum offered. The REASONS for the answers are just as important as the answers themselves, and this requires a clinician to interpret.
I had to read about BPD before writing this reply. It seems to me there is relatively little overlap between BPD and autism. HOWEVER, I can see how misinterpretations and misdiagnosis can occur. Confusing a meltdown for anger issues, social isolation, unstable relationships. If a psychologist/psychiatrist is more familiar with BPD than adult autism (which I fear is the current state of affairs) I can easily see how a misdiagnosis could occur.

Last edited:
I scored quite low. As @Shamar points out, the reason for the answers is imortant here. I do have mood swings between depression, anxiety and irritability, but that's all I can relate to and it occurs in response to stress and overload, and this was more when I had depression. I'm sure that I don't have Borderline, and there are a lot of differences between ASD and Borderline, not really that much overlap in my opinion.

It's all interesting. I believe with me it's mostly Autism but I deal with anxiety a lot as well.

I feel that a misdiagnosis could only occur if a diagnosis were given in a single sitting, perhaps two. But a personality disorder should involve a prolonged, comprehensive analysis of every factor involved. When that's done, confusing the two comes down to whether or not the diagnostician is an idiot.

I scored 31 post-medication. A 17 point drop! It would be more but some of the questions ask if you've EVER done something, which would include pre-medication times.

I scored 21. I was diagnosed with BPD at one point - I don't think it explains or accounts for most of what I deal with though.

Looking through the questions on this quiz, honestly, I think there's a lot of overlap with a lot of things. I don't feel it is a very specific test that would stand up to any scrutiny at all.

That said, I've often read that women who are autistic are frequently misdiagnosed with borderline personality disorder first.

I scored 31 post-medication. A 17 point drop! It would be more but some of the questions ask if you've EVER done something, which would include pre-medication times.

I noticed this too. A lot of that stuff is in the past for me too - and there are a lot of things that can cause or contribute to those things.

I scored a 17, my Therapist (of 3 years)diagnosed me with bpd , but 3 doctors have diagnoswd me with autism. Maybe I have both, who knows. It makes me 2nd guess myself.

21 and 17 are low scores that could easily be explained by the overlap between the two.

At an initial assessment interview with a consultant he mentioned BPD or ASD as possible limes of investigation.

I just did the test and had a score of 7 so BPD is not relevant (which fits with my sense of things). Doing tests for alexithymia come up consistently high.
Make of that what you will

New Threads

Top Bottom