• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Books on the social behavior of humans

How to Win Friends & Influence People, Dale Carnegie
Emily Post's Etiquette (try about the 1948 edition. I bring this up because the rules of etiquette were changing dramatically then & they were keeping up with it.)
The Book of Proverbs, Old Testament
The Book of Ecclesiastes, also called Sirach
Philosophical Psychology, D.Q. McInerny, Alcuin Press, 1996 (a Thomistic anthropology describing human motivations very carefully)
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Hamlet
Macbeth
The Merchant of Venice
The Tempest

Edit:
I mention a few classic works of literature & a few bits of religious works because literature & religion, among their many purposes, all try to explain a lot about the world & everything in it.
People will follow anything that moves. Look up the four ends of concupiscence, the tendency of people to choose the perceived good, that sort of thing about human nature. Classical philosophy is really kinda neat. Start with Plato, Augustine, & Thomas Aquinas. They make pretty good sense; I really find their writings quite handy.

'Behaviourism' is the psych jargon field.

'48 laws of power' explains the machiavellian motivation.

I forgot.
Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels are pure comedy of human nature. Also the fanbase is a tight-knit yet diverse group which is pretty welcoming. Bon appetit.

Behave, by Robert Sapolsky
with credit to @OkRad because they mentioned it here in another thread.
Also: to bring positive passion, humor, and creativity to the fore: A Room With A View, by E.M. Forster.

A book I had recently "Talking to Strangers" is interesting. Surprisingly, it's not about us. It is about the gap between how much people think they can read each other and the reality of how often that goes terribly wrong. A problem I had with the book, is that it doesn't consider neurodiversity very much. They go through case studies that we all know from the news, mostly sociopaths who people trusted way too much. But it doesn't talk about sociopaths and how they have skills of deception that most do not have. More relevant to us, the Amanda Knox case is in the book. She is described by friends as having odd, quirky behavior and how that was a big part of why she ended up accused of murder.

-The Scythe trilogy by Neal Shusterman is pretty good. It delves into a lot of philosophical concepts.
-I would highly recommend Wuthering Heights too if you can read that. That book goes very in-depth on human interactions. Also War and Peace is in a slightly similar tone too, though longer.

New Threads

Top Bottom