• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Book suggestions for me?

MarieMarie

Some kind of aspie, perhaps, maybe?
Do you have any suggestions om books about Asperger/autism and ...

- the lighter end of the spectrum? Perhaps books about people diagnosed in their middleages automatically will handle somewhat lighter forms?
- women on the spectrum? I read Aspergirls, but didn't like it much for various reasons. It could be personal stories or from a more clinical perspective, both could be interesting.
- organising your life. Getting things done.
- perhaps also the intersection with ADHD? (It was my original idea, that I might have ADHD. Am still not fully convinced.)

What's worked for me is the amount of time after diagnosis.
I thought I would have this huge epiphany but it was just more like disappointment, I've done what you are doing reading till it starts to spill backout again what I really recommend is because we have a picture based neurology is watching YouTube videos I think books don't work for us the way they do for somebody neurotypical

Sarah Hendrickx: Women and Girls with Autism spectrum disorder, she worked with Autism and I think has a partner on the spectrum, but didn't realise she herself was, and also discusses general issues that may differ for women and girls on the autistic spectrum.

Try googling women with Autism on Amazon, and take a look at Jessica Kingsley publishers catalogue.

I enjoyed Neurotribes by Steve Silberman, going into the background of autism.

Spectrum Women edited by Cook and Garnett is getting good reviews, that's my next buy, also Camouflage sounds interesting, it's a graphic novel of women on the spectrums experience, both relate to late diagnosed women.

- the lighter end of the spectrum? Perhaps books about people diagnosed in their middleages automatically will handle somewhat lighter forms?
- women on the spectrum? I read Aspergirls, but didn't like it much for various reasons. It could be personal stories or from a more clinical perspective, both could be interesting.
- perhaps also the intersection with ADHD? (It was my original idea, that I might have ADHD. Am still not fully convinced.)

Anything by Temple Grand in (the autocorrect won't let me put it together). The Autistic Brain was very good. Also sensory processing books the Out Of Sync Child Grows Up etc. Getting A Life With Asperger's, Asperger's In Heels. I just get books at the library that relate. Hope this helps

Anything by Tony Attwood. If you have the time read The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome.

It has nothing to do with autism but it's a short read and a favorite of mine.

510XMxm9BAL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's actually a very old tale and has many different versions in different countries.

"Henny Penny, more commonly known in the United States as Chicken Little and sometimes as Chicken Licken, is a European folk tale with a moral in the form of a cumulative tale about a chicken who believes that the world is coming to an end. The phrase "The sky is falling!" features prominently in the story, and has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent. Versions of the story go back more than 25 centuries;[1] it continues to be referred to in a variety of media. " (wiki)

I'd like to see a modernistic version where the twist is the sky is really falling and causes a zombie apocalypse. Although just about everyone gets wiped out, including Foxy Loxy and the King, it has a good ending however. Because Henny and all the animals that followed her (Turkey Lurkey, etc) have become preppers and survive by living in a fortified underground complex.

If you want to read books and you can’t get to the library regularly set up an account with archive.org , it’s a charity so it needs funds to keep going and there aren’t any adverts on it ,I’ve just borrowed a book about Temple Grandin and there were a lot of other titles,One thing they do ask for is books If you can donate a book if you look at the website you can see that they take old books as well as new ones, for somebody autistic it is a treasure.

This self knowledge seeking quest is something I don't really understand. I have always rejected anything that involves self study eg. CBT or psychology, although I have read loads in the past. My conclusion was "Why be so self absorbed?" Unless trying to convince others you are something you are not! I don't give a damn personally.

It is different for everyone though, but no book will ever be able to tell you who you are or how to be. Or why you are like you are. Just accept it and embrace who you are, what you are, unique & wonderful albeit a bit confused!

(I much prefer books to take me out of this life & into a fantasy land)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom