• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bodybuilding and Fitness

Shiznown

Is anyone here big into fitness and bodybuilding? It's the only thing that's saved me from depression, sadly I sort of stick out in my area since the ideal man here is the skinny gothic type, or "thug" type. That's just not me. I find it hard to relate to people in my area and it gets frustrating.

I go to the gym or workout in my room every night. I'm just doing it so I don't feel listless at the end of the day, and so I actually sleep. I try not to focus too much on appearances because frankly I don't understand what is going on with most people.

Yep, used to bodybuild a lot in my twenties.

I've just started at a gym again. Training 4 days a week and cycling on at least one of the other days. Starting to make gains again. It's funny how your muscles respond if they have been relatively big before,

I recently started going to the gym. Mostly I've decided to start because I'm not that active, I've got a lot of time on my hands at the moment and I'm noticing how my body starts giving my issues; partially through weightgain, which in turn comes from unhealthy eating and not being that active.

Besides that I'm trying it to see if it keeps depression at bay. I wasn't feeling that miserable consistently, but I rather try to keep myself a bit sane by being a bit active and try to even out those few moments where I actually crash (since; as I posted in another thread, I tend to have some moodswings, just not enough for a bipolar diagnosis).

So right now for me it's mostly just some activity, though eventually I'll get into it a bit more serious in terms of exercising. Just need to make a start now, since it has been decades before I actually did some kind of sports. Luckily I have a nice instructor/trainer at the gym who can advise and help me out when I visit; even if he is a bit overzealous, he's aware why I'm visiting and tries to help me out with that.

As much as I like bodybuilding as a hobby and to read up on, I don't think it's for me. I abhor routine too much to get into a strict regimen of eating and exercising (I mean; I can't even get 24 hour cycles straight for sleeping and waking). An aspie friend of mine was heavy into bodybuilding, but considering what it did cost him to stay healthy as well as adding up all those supplements he took (not to mention he eventually started doing steroids), I doubt that I could even afford it. But perhaps I'm looking at this entire body building this way to serious and just see Arnold in Pumping iron, hehe. (though, that was my friends perspective as well)

As for appearance; I don't know if I really bother with it that much. I just know that I don't have the build to be a skinny guy at all. Said body building friend once told me that based on my build, if I were to work out seriously, I'd probably end up looking like some kind of wrestler... nothing wrong with that though, but I guess it signifies that I don't have a small build in general. If anything I'd end up a thuggish goth, lol. But I don't really care a lot for it. Even now, despite being heavily overweight, I'm not that bothered by it appreancewise. I mean, it would be nice to lose a few pounds and perhaps buy a smaller size shirt, but it's not a priority. Overal, I think, that despite my weight and height, I'm somewhat evenly proportioned where my bodyfat is. Clearly a bit more clutters up at my stomach (an area that's quite common), but it doesn't all gather just there.. it spreads out fairly evenly, so with that I can't complain too much.

I recently started going to the gym. Mostly I've decided to start because I'm not that active, I've got a lot of time on my hands at the moment and I'm noticing how my body starts giving my issues; partially through weightgain, which in turn comes from unhealthy eating and not being that active.

Besides that I'm trying it to see if it keeps depression at bay. I wasn't feeling that miserable consistently, but I rather try to keep myself a bit sane by being a bit active and try to even out those few moments where I actually crash (since; as I posted in another thread, I tend to have some moodswings, just not enough for a bipolar diagnosis).

So right now for me it's mostly just some activity, though eventually I'll get into it a bit more serious in terms of exercising. Just need to make a start now, since it has been decades before I actually did some kind of sports. Luckily I have a nice instructor/trainer at the gym who can advise and help me out when I visit; even if he is a bit overzealous, he's aware why I'm visiting and tries to help me out with that.

As much as I like bodybuilding as a hobby and to read up on, I don't think it's for me. I abhor routine too much to get into a strict regimen of eating and exercising (I mean; I can't even get 24 hour cycles straight for sleeping and waking). An aspie friend of mine was heavy into bodybuilding, but considering what it did cost him to stay healthy as well as adding up all those supplements he took (not to mention he eventually started doing steroids), I doubt that I could even afford it. But perhaps I'm looking at this entire body building this way to serious and just see Arnold in Pumping iron, hehe. (though, that was my friends perspective as well)

As for appearance; I don't know if I really bother with it that much. I just know that I don't have the build to be a skinny guy at all. Said body building friend once told me that based on my build, if I were to work out seriously, I'd probably end up looking like some kind of wrestler... nothing wrong with that though, but I guess it signifies that I don't have a small build in general. If anything I'd end up a thuggish goth, lol. But I don't really care a lot for it. Even now, despite being heavily overweight, I'm not that bothered by it appreancewise. I mean, it would be nice to lose a few pounds and perhaps buy a smaller size shirt, but it's not a priority. Overal, I think, that despite my weight and height, I'm somewhat evenly proportioned where my bodyfat is. Clearly a bit more clutters up at my stomach (an area that's quite common), but it doesn't all gather just there.. it spreads out fairly evenly, so with that I can't complain too much.
I would say it being expensive is relative. What I mean by that is, if you have decent income it's doable. I still live at home, but I did have a room mate and I pay rent. I'm still able to train, I just can't go crazy with buying stuff each month, like video games and such. With foods and supplements together, I'd say my monthly training budget is about $300. Keep in mind I have training as my top priority and my food budget goes above everything else. Steroids I am not against, but they aren't worth it unless you're rich. They're very expensive and once you get off of them you loose your gains, so it's a life long commitment to being on them. As much as I love Arnold and he is one of my idols, I tend to look more towards men like Jack Lalanne and Steve Reeves. Those physiques are much more obtainable.

I would say it being expensive is relative. What I mean by that is, if you have decent income it's doable. I still live at home, but I did have a room mate and I pay rent. I'm still able to train, I just can't go crazy with buying stuff each month, like video games and such. With foods and supplements together, I'd say my monthly training budget is about $300. Keep in mind I have training as my top priority and my food budget goes above everything else. Steroids I am not against, but they aren't worth it unless you're rich. They're very expensive and once you get off of them you loose your gains, so it's a life long commitment to being on them. As much as I love Arnold and he is one of my idols, I tend to look more towards men like Jack Lalanne and Steve Reeves. Those physiques are much more obtainable.

Heh, yeah... 300 isn't happening here. Decent income obviously is the key; something which I don't have. I'm good with the €35 for the gym a month (about 45 USD)... aside from my other hobbies and monthly expenses. I guess with that, I'd be happy if my hobby budget (I'll just call it that for now) would be close to 300 every month. Even with all hobbies combined I don't even add up to such a sum. Even my groceries added are barely topping the 300 mark.

I prefer the lean and mean look. I work out with light weights and high reps. I eat a high protein low carb diet but nothing radical. My body at 65 is not much different than it was at 30 except there is a little more fat and a little less muscle mass.

Yep!! I'm am a dedicated gym goer. I have to be careful though because my OCD tendencies can see it get a little out of control - with the eating aspect especially. Counting macros etc.

I love it though. Love the gym. It's a good getaway for me. Allows me to release stress and anger and allows me to escape to myself for a bit. Although some people don't respect that and despite my wearing headphones as a message to others to not talk to me, some just don't get it and insist on coming over to have a chat ... Grrrrr :-/

cI1Qp.jpg

Old thread, but a place to connect with fellow gym goers.

I did figure comps a couple of times. Interesting time of life. I found the food part easy, much to the supreme surprise of my coach who imagined I must have some mental imbalance. Yes, she said so.

The most expensive part was the 1kg of meat a day. That was about AU$280 a month, supplements about $60 a month (all natural, BCAAs and a serve of WPI a day), $200 a month on coach and $50 for gym membership. Wow. A lot when I look at it like that...

I still weight train; I respond well to routine. Keeps me on track with my health. I HAVE to eat often, otherwise, without a goal, I'd forget to eat. I find it hard to still do 6 day splits, as my job is physically demanding. I do 4 days now, if I can. I love to feel strong and I love the control aspect of the sport. It is also a lone project.

I am not interested in building muscle size. I essentially use weights to do an intensive aerobic workout. I do one set of fifty reps and move from one weightlifting excercise to another with little or no rest in between. I finish with a four minute plank. My entire workout lasts about 40 minutes.

I'm into fitness and bodybuilding. I've done 2 5k runs, which is one of the reasons I joined a gym. The other reasons are so I can be healthy and improve my muscles.

So, no one is into building muscle?? Just me.... I love the discipline and routine. I also adore feeling strong.

I really like doing little weight workouts, just at home. The routine has become important to me. Unfortunately I'm not good at building muscle, and figured I'd stay out of this conversation because you all are on a different level than I. It has helped me immensely to get my arm back so to speak after a bad break near the shoulder socket 3 years ago. Also, I found out to my delight that pull-ups make my back stop hurting. My back had gotten hurt when I broke my arm.

New Threads

Top Bottom