• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

blood Type and Autism

Ronald Zeeman

V.I.P Member
A year ago I joined this site really like it, as I have mentioned in other threads I come from a family of 6 kids it appears 4 of us are Aspies, my wife made an interesting observation all four of us have AB blood type, the other two have A and B. IS their a correlation. looking at the literature, it looks like their maybe.

Both my parents had AB blood type very rare, the studies I saw so far have small sample sizes are small so I would not read too much into it. others on here may want to follow up on this. is autism inherited, curious. I See hints of a blood test in some of the studies. the one sibling who has blood type A has his own issues He suspects AdHD, my sister thinks he may also be one of us.

A year ago I joined this site really like it, as I have mentioned in other threads I come from a family of 6 kids it appears 4 of us are Aspies, my wife made an interesting observation all four of us have AB blood type, the other two have A and B. IS their a correlation. looking at the literature, it looks like their maybe.

Both my parents had AB blood type very rare, the studies I saw so far have small sample sizes are small so I would not read too much into it. others on here may want to follow up on this. is autism inherited, curious. I See hints of a blood test in some of the studies. the one sibling who has blood type A has his own issues He suspects AdHD, my sister thinks he may also be one of us.
Just out of curiosity....are you RH positive or Rh negative?

Positive all of us are. at least during a trans fusion just hook up the other person universal receiver my brother died a couple of years ago we signed off on his orans getting transplanted, lung and liver were transplanted only 68 candidates in Ontario on waiting list.

Last edited:
The results from the autism genome project didn't necessarily look at this,...rather focusing upon the other 1000 or so genes linked to autism, but what has been studied with regards to ABO typing, suggests a lack of association.

There is a single doctor, Dr. Bracco Lorenzo, who thinks there may be some sort of antibody association,...but theory, at this stage. At this point, I would take it as such,...a working theory that remains to be studied. Keep in mind, the autism genome project has pretty much mapped all of this out,...and despite that there clearly are familial genes associated with autism,...which may or may not be related to blood type antibodies (little evidence),...the vast majority of the rise in autism is associated with de novo/epigenetic genes within the past 1-2 generations.

Positive all of us are. at least during a trans fusion just hook up the other person universal receiver my brother died a couple of years ago we signed off on his orans getting transplanted, lung and liver were transplanted only 68 candidates in Ontario on waiting list.
Sorry to hear about your brother. My son is an Aspie and I was wondering about the Rh factor before because we are all RH negative but it seems to me that blood type doesn't seem to affect who has Asperger's since I know quite a few (different blood type) people who are Aspies. Interesting though!

The results from the autism genome project didn't necessarily look at this,...rather focusing upon the other 1000 or so genes linked to autism, but what has been studied with regards to ABO typing, suggests a lack of association.

There is a single doctor, Dr. Bracco Lorenzo, who thinks there may be some sort of antibody association,...but theory, at this stage. At this point, I would take it as such,...a working theory that remains to be studied. Keep in mind, the autism genome project has pretty much mapped all of this out,...and despite that there clearly are familial genes associated with autism,...which may or may not be related to blood type antibodies (little evidence),...the vast majority of the rise in autism is associated with de novo/epigenetic genes within the past 1-2 generations.

I am very interested in the rise in apparent autism and it's causes and try to read the studies I can find that touch on it. But I find my lack of knowledge about genetics (and science in general) a very limiting factor.

If it is not too much trouble is their an easy lay-person explanation of novo/epigenetic genes? Maybe there is not and I will have to go and make my head hurt. ;)

O+ here. Not sure with my nephew or brother in law who are both diagnosed.

My cousin keeps asking how could he find out my dads brother son, I tell him just give blood they have to test you. I did this for the first time in college, I was shocked to find out I had AB positive, then talking to my parents found out both of them were also AB positive what a surprise the more I look this up the weirder it gets Europeans tend to have A Asians B.

At least my family fits Mendel statistics out of 6 kids 4 AB, 1 A and 1B. the B is the NT.
Another strange fact the shroud of Turin had a blood stain which was tested come back as AB positive, either Jesus had AB or the person that faked it had AB.

Last edited:
My cousin keeps asking how could he find out my dads brother son, I tell him just give blood they have to test you. I did this for the first time in college, I was shocked to find out I had AB positive, then talking to my parents found out both of them were also AB positive what a surprise the more I look this up the weirder it gets Europeans tend to have A Asians B.

At least my family fits Mendel statistics out of 6 kids 4 AB, 1 A and 1B. the B is the NT.
Another strange fact the shroud of Turin had a blood stain which was tested come back as AB positive, either Jesus had AB or the person that faked it had AB.
All my kids blood types were written on their birth cards. If they know their doctor well or the hospital they were born at, they may know also. I am not sure if all children's blood types are on their cards or just mine since I am RH Negative and require the shot after a birth.

My partner is AB+, but he doesn't have ASD.
Correlation is not causation. statistics 101. Other studies indicate, AB positive also correlates with intelligence, genius. Two studies so far. Could be a special interest for some body here, I have to much on my plate.

Last edited:
I am very interested in the rise in apparent autism and it's causes and try to read the studies I can find that touch on it. But I find my lack of knowledge about genetics (and science in general) a very limiting factor.

If it is not too much trouble is their an easy lay-person explanation of novo/epigenetic genes? Maybe there is not and I will have to go and make my head hurt. ;)
De novo/epigenetic genes are typically those that are part of our DNA and may be silent for generations,...but are then "activated" when some stimulus "triggers" them,...and then sets in motion some "other" cellular metabolic function. So,...within the context of autism,...a sperm and egg come together, the chromosomes and DNA combine forming the genetic information for this new person. Some of those genes are from your parents,...anything familial,...this new person will either exhibit those genetic traits, or be a "carrier" (having the gene, but not express it).

Now, here's what we are sorting out right now,...of the 1000+ de novo genes identified as "associated" with autism,...what are the triggers for activating those genes? Is it changes in societies where people are having children later and later in life,..."old sperm and eggs",...seems likely, as there is a significant rise in all sorts of fetal/pediatric health issues/anomalies with "older parents" (32+ years of age). "Older" parents are also more likely to be diabetic/prediabetic, have gestational diabetes, have hypothyroidism, low testosterone/high estrogen,...all of which have been identified as strongly associated with autism. Furthermore,...good Lord,...we are quite aware of all the build-up of environmental toxins, phytoestrogens (plastic bottle BPA, soy, etc.). A lot going on here. So, the autism genome project has identified several autism variants associated with specific triggers,...but it clearly is not complete. It is very possible that with one person, the autism was primarily triggered by mom and dad being 35+ and having hormonal imbalances,...and another person, the autism was triggered by the insecticides being sprayed on the fields near their home. This is all speculation, and we need to know more before pointing fingers. Clearly, there is no "smoking gun".

Furthermore, we also have this interesting concept of "genetic loading",...it was identified that female autistics have significantly more of these autism genes activated than males,...yet, the interesting part is that it takes a lot more genetic loading for females to exhibit their autism than males. A possible reason for the 4:1 male:female autism diagnosis rates,...OR,...is it that clinicians are focused upon diagnosing autism based upon male identifiers,...and not female identifiers,...suggesting a need for female-specific autism testing and identification methods? A lot of questions.

De novo/epigenetic genes are typically those that are part of our DNA and may be silent for generations,...but are then "activated" when some stimulus "triggers" them,...and then sets in motion some "other" cellular metabolic function. So,...within the context of autism,...a sperm and egg come together, the chromosomes and DNA combine forming the genetic information for this new person. Some of those genes are from your parents,...anything familial,...this new person will either exhibit those genetic traits, or be a "carrier" (having the gene, but not express it).

Now, here's what we are sorting out right now,...of the 1000+ de novo genes identified as "associated" with autism,...what are the triggers for activating those genes? Is it changes in societies where people are having children later and later in life,..."old sperm and eggs",...seems likely, as there is a significant rise in all sorts of fetal/pediatric health issues/anomalies with "older parents" (32+ years of age). "Older" parents are also more likely to be diabetic/prediabetic, have gestational diabetes, have hypothyroidism, low testosterone/high estrogen,...all of which have been identified as strongly associated with autism. Furthermore,...good Lord,...we are quite aware of all the build-up of environmental toxins, phytoestrogens (plastic bottle BPA, soy, etc.). A lot going on here. So, the autism genome project has identified several autism variants associated with specific triggers,...but it clearly is not complete. It is very possible that with one person, the autism was primarily triggered by mom and dad being 35+ and having hormonal imbalances,...and another person, the autism was triggered by the insecticides being sprayed on the fields near their home. This is all speculation, and we need to know more before pointing fingers. Clearly, there is no "smoking gun".

Furthermore, we also have this interesting concept of "genetic loading",...it was identified that female autistics have significantly more of these autism genes activated than males,...yet, the interesting part is that it takes a lot more genetic loading for females to exhibit their autism than males. A possible reason for the 4:1 male:female autism diagnosis rates,...OR,...is it that clinicians are focused upon diagnosing autism based upon male identifiers,...and not female identifiers,...suggesting a need for female-specific autism testing and identification methods? A lot of questions.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

Went to see my sister Yesterday, here second oldest son is a dead ringer foy my oldest brother acts like an Aspie very bright also a very gifted athlete. Stuns me when I see how bright the next generation is in my family four generations so far 5th on way. My guess is in IQ the base or mean would be 130. many of my cousins have had thier's measured 130 to 140. shows up in their careers most are retired. my son always jokes going to a family together, must be like a Mensa meeting. the only pattern I see is fractal from one generation to the next my brother's daughter looks and acts like my sister. my youngest son looks and acts like my brother and my brothers second oldest son and my son act like twins. even my son and his cousin's sister comment on this eerie.

is autism inherited, curious.
The short answer is YES. It certainly can. The autism genome project has identified about 100 familial genes associated with autism. About 1000 more genes are de novo mutations (non-familial) associated with autism.

The more I observe my family the more easier it gets nurture vs nature, genes. Political correctness biases many scientists, only the truth matters.

New Threads

Top Bottom