• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Big anxiety festival

For 55-year-old academic and artist Debra Keenahan, as a person with achondroplasia, or dwarfism, "out of the mouths of babes" is no mere biblical expression. Instead, it's an everyday occurrence she is intimately acquainted with.

"Children are beautifully honest," she says. "They will ask things like, 'can you drive a car?' 'Where do you get your clothes from?' "
1506071306445.jpg

On Sunday, September 24, Keenahan is inviting adults to ask her questions about her life at Awkward Conversations, an event that is something like an episode of ABC's You Can't Ask That television series brought off screen. The affair aims to open up channels of understanding as members of the public can register to have frank but respectful one-on-one conversations with a selection of people with diverse life experiences across topics such as autism, suicide and psychosis.

The event is part of a new arts and science festival focused on mental health, The Big Anxiety, for which Keenahan is an ambassador. She says she hopes that those she chats with are left feeling less anxiety and discomfort about the differences between people.

"I'm hoping that what they come away with is just a reinforcement of what at some level they actually already knew, and that is that the one thing we all share is our basic humanity. And if you are open to people you actually see the equality between people, rather than focusing on the differences."

Awkward Conversations is on September 24, 10am-1pm and 2pm-5pm; and Wednesday, September 27, 11am-2pm and 5pm-7pm; Customs House, free (bookings essential). See thebiganxiety.org

Here you go Chance!

Cool It opened... I'm checking it out... thanks Pax.

Pax did you take the survey? Thats where your link sent me... I'm still reading...

That's weird. I just cut and pasted the article, so it should take you to that. They have a website. No I haven't done the survey.

New Threads

Top Bottom