• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Beware Of Third-Party Apps Adding To Your Context Menu

Judge

V.I.P Member
You know...those utility or anti-virus apps that think they are doing you a favor by adding to the right-click context menu. Makes it all more convenient, right? Not necessarily.

With Windows 10, these modifications might cause you a bit of grief as they did me recently. When I went into Windows Explorer (File Manager) and simply right-clicked a folder in the left column of my computer's root directory. Instead of showing the context menu, Windows Explorer simply crashed. I went in, tried again and boom. The program simply shut down. Not good! Yet in the right column of Windows Explorer I could still right-click items as usual. So all was not lost.

Of course I knew something was wrong, and with much of any problem I'm like a dog with a bone. It didn't take much googling to learn from various links the possibility of how third-party applications which add to your Windows 10 right-click context menus may simply not cooperate with the operating system as intended.

The simple fix? I considered the last program that added an entry to my context menu. Luckily there were only two third-party apps showing. Went into the options of this program (I won't mention the name) and simply turned off the context menu relative to this particular application. Voila! I could now right-click anything in Windows Explorer without incident.

So...the next time I install another program that gives me this option, I'll be sure to say "no thanks" to adding another entry into my Windows 10 context menu. Food for thought! ;)

Windows 10 File Explorer Crashes when right clicking on a file or selected files

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom