• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Beware of acid reducing chemical drugs

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I know and have heard so many times that we are all different, but I also know that we aspies are prone to digestive issues and I am no different ( what a surprise lol).

Anyway, it is highly likely that having taken 20mg of omeprazol for years, that it is causing my kidneys to not be very well and a study that came out THIS YEAR is saying that there is evidence that prolonged usage of this drug and other similar drugs, causes kidney failure. Happily, not at that point yet, but my potassium levels are just on the edge of being slighly over, which means that my kidneys are not doing there job properly.

On this note, anyone found success for natural medicine? I suffer heartburn severely at night.

Yuck!

I'd suggest taking a little bit of baking soda in water. It's gross tasting, but it really, really works.

If you haven't already, it's often recommended to elevate your head at night. Many people accomplish this by putting blocks under the feet of the bed at the end where your head rests.

You might to check that you don't have a hiatal hernia, too, which makes reflux worse.

The only natural medicine for elevated potassium levels that I've ever heard of is to eat a lot of fresh green vegetables.

There may be a connection between decreased kidney function and high blood pressure.

If you haven't already, it's often recommended to elevate your head at night. Many people accomplish this by putting blocks under the feet of the bed at the end where your head rests.

Doesn't work for me.

I don't know where you are from, or if it is easily available where you live; but I drink a papaya smoothie everyday and whenever I feel reflux; I stopped taking acid meds like a month ago and drinking papaya really helped. My mother recomendded it me since she also suffers from acid/reflux. Or you can also eat it as it is like in a fruit salad.

papaya_759.jpg

I've got reflux, and right before I get into bed I just take a pair of Tums every night. I've no idea if it contains omeprazol or whatever it is, but that's what I do.

Unless there are only cherry ones left. Then I just suffer.

Raw or unfiltered apple cider vinegar might help you. Some people believe that GERD is caused by too little acid in the stomach (and not caused by too much acid) so drinking a daily shot of organic, unfiltered ACV helps restore a normal pH balance in the stomach thereby reducing acid reflux.

I've got reflux, and right before I get into bed I just take a pair of Tums every night. I've no idea if it contains omeprazol or whatever it is, but that's what I do.

Unless there are only cherry ones left. Then I just suffer.

LOL about the cherry flavored ones. My husband has occasional reflux and he will eat only the lemon flavored Tums.

Oh I just remembered! I had the worst acid reflux, nausea, and diarrhea when I was in Chemotherapy! My naturopathic doctor prescribed homeopathic Gelsemium Sempervirens 30c. You take 6 pellets, 3 times a day. I swear that after the first dose I noticed a LASTING difference.

Tums... with occasional Pepcid. Prilosec is known to cause kidney problems on some people and probably shouldn't be taking it long term.

The notion that too little acid causes heartburn is bizarre. If too little acid were the problem, antacids wouldn't help - and they do. Drinking significantly acidic liquids, like citrus, makes it worse.

Heartburn is caused by a weakened or malfunctioning esophageal sphincter, weight or clothing or over eating that puts pressure on the muscle, food that increases the amount of gastric acid, and things that make you burp. Poor clearance of food or acid from the esophagus, too much acid in the stomach, and delayed stomach emptying also contribute to acid reflux. Some drugs temporarily weaken the sphincter muscle. (That's a big one.)

2020-12-13_23-07-36.jpg

What your stomach produces naturally is one step on the pH chart from battery acid so it causes a chemical burn when it comes into contact with areas not designed to handle it.

I place no faith in homeopathic remedies.

Last edited:
Heartburn is caused by a weakened or malfunctioning esophageal sphincter, weight or clothing or over eating that puts pressure on the muscle, food that increases the amount of gastric acid, and things that make you burp. Poor clearance of food or acid from the esophagus, too much acid in the stomach, and delayed stomach emptying also contribute to acid reflux. Some drugs temporarily weaken the sphincter muscle. (That's a big one.)

Absolutely spot on there! I read that aloe vera juice is great for strengthening the esophagus sphincter and since I was told that my sphincter is too slow, I am going to try and strength it and also, read that it is not too much acid; in fact it is too little acid, that causes the problem in the first place and you need all the correct vitamins and minerals to cause the whole system to work in harmony and even one one is missing, it goes out of harmony.

I am also convinced that it was emotional, traumor from childhood to teen to young adult, that has caused this, because in fact, when I was in my 20's I did not suffer. I was diagnosed with ibs though, but not acid issues at that time.

I eat between 5 and 6 now and have not suffered acid reflux.

The heartburn was so bad yesterday and last night, that I had to take 10mg of omeprazel, but it is awful, because I can almost see it doing damage to me, despite the fact, that I am not suffering right now.

Tums works for me if I have a sudden attack.

I use several things as an on going basis that has finally gotten it under control.
Papaya chewable tabs after breakfast.
Time released peppermint oil caps- buy OTC which will say is for IBS.
Probiotics kept in refridgerator with the highest count of mixed probiotic cultures in one capsule you
can find. Billions preferably as low amounts like found in yogurt or cheap capsules are
destroyed by stomach acid before they can reach the gut.

Some days I put one tablespoon vinegar, (raw and with mother), in juice.
And 4 oz. of Aloe vera juice with aloe chunks mixed in before bedtime.
Make sure it contains the inner part of the aloe and no skin on the fruit chunks.
The dark green skin can cause intestinal upset.

I've had reflux issues for the last 27 years. Have learned over time not to focus on strong medications that can only be used on a temporary basis, but rather to simply avoid what I call "trigger foods" that induce such painful reactions.

Though when I go out on rare occasion to eat restaurant food, that's when I usually opt to take something like Famotidine, or the stronger stuff like Nexium. Restaurants are big on using much higher amounts of fat for enhancing taste. It's things like animal fat and grease that get me into trouble.

IMO ultimately avoidance of such foods is the most successful way to dodge the pain.

Last edited:
I am a 53 yr old, and I have had to change my eating habits over the years. It sucks getting older, but transitioning back to an "autism diet" plan has helped me. It has gotten to the point where I simply cannot eat much past 6pm. Those evening snacks I love so much, mindlessly eating in front of the television,...tired of suddenly waking up at midnight with "molten lava" in my mouth, coughing, laryngeal spasm, etc. I went for a while there, popping those antacids and the like,...just got to be a sad routine. It's water in the evening now. Part of it is simply getting older, part of it appears to be associated, perhaps causal from my autism. For me, it is avoiding carbohydrates, breads, gluten, and getting more on a pseudo-keto or paleo diet. I love fruits and vegetables, but it has to be earlier in the day. Sugary drinks are to be avoided. Stevia is a great, natural sweetener that minimizes the insulin spikes. You loose a little weight, you feel a little better, and your sleep is less interrupted.

Another autie here with terrible gut issue. I use aloe and licorice tabs. If it's really bad, I have used activated charcoal tabs, too. I also space out meals a lot. Probiotics are mixed. Some make it worse, some better. I still have not figured that out.

New Threads

Top Bottom