• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Best quote ever!

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
And you have no idea what I'm talking about, dragged you in :p

I've been reading through a book called The Power of Strangers recently, it was published last year:

This was a quote from a person doing a personal project in NYC

"When she rode the train, she found herself drawn to the people reading books. She figured they were the dreamers, the critical thinkers, the creators. She wanted to meet these people..."

In contrast the book has talked a lot about how people bury themselves in their smart phones, scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, endless scrolling, etc...

Which is interesting because I've started reading books during my work break, and I'm the only one doing it! Everyone (I mean everyone) goes straight to their phone, and there is very little interaction either.

In case you wondering about the lady who said that, here is a link, there is also an Instagram account - @subwaybookreview | Linktree

And I'm off to bed, because I'm tired and have another long day of work ahead of me... Anyway maybe I roped you in :rolleyes:

People can't keep their eyes and hands off their smart phones.
They can be sitting together at a small table and do not communicate with each other.
They can barely take time to even eat!
Never saw the attraction myself and don't even own one.

Imagine how the world would look if you can imagine all the people around you stuck in
the positions of being on those phone without the phone!
Dinner Time:

wendy_brian_kids (800x640).jpg

Most smartphones have a setting to check screen time. It's a good way to monitor and go about reducing screen time.

Mind you, I will say that I find ebooks a lot more convenient than regular books. I can copy and paste quotes and save them into the notes I keep. As well as sharing with friends. You have an instant dictionary for any word, simply by highlighting it on the screen.

I know a lot will shun ebooks as nothing supposedly beats the process of reading an "analogue" book in this digital age.

But yes, less screen time is beneficial. I never bother with checking my phone when I'm in places that people normally use them. Waiting rooms, public transport, cafes or coffee shops etc. It's much nicer to take in the surroundings.

Ed

A quote related to phones that I have always thought funny is 'you can talk to someone three thousand miles away while annoying someone three feet away'.

Here are some of my favorite quotes from The Oblongs sitcom.

Helga: So I’m not Kate Moss. Big deal.
Milo: Kate Moss isn’t stuck in the sewer.
Helga: Gee I don’t know. When you think about it, is there any sewer bigger than the world of professional modeling?

Milo (Panicking as he sees Pickles digging a hole): WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
Pickles: Burying beer. Oh crud! That means I drank gopher poison. Quick Milo! Call mommy an ambulance.

Pristine: Nice hair. Where’d you get it?
Pickles: Off some [hooker]. I think it was your mother!

Milo (Seeing Debbie about to jump off a bridge): Debbie! No! You can’t do it!
Debbie: Oh yes I can!
Milo: Oh no you can’t!
*Debbie Jumps and lands feet first in the mud which is ankle high.*
Milo: Told ya. We’ve all tried.

Last edited:
Most smartphones have a setting to check screen time. It's a good way to monitor and go about reducing screen time.

Mind you, I will say that I find ebooks a lot more convenient than regular books. I can copy and paste quotes and save them into the notes I keep. As well as sharing with friends. You have an instant dictionary for any word, simply by highlighting it on the screen.

I know a lot will shun ebooks as nothing supposedly beats the process of reading an "analogue" book in this digital age.

But yes, less screen time is beneficial. I never bother with checking my phone when I'm in places that people normally use them. Waiting rooms, public transport, cafes or coffee shops etc. It's much nicer to take in the surroundings.

Ed

Good point about e-books... A friend of mine did an under-grad at University many years ago prior to e-books... Then did a Masters degree more recently... He found that electronic text books are very good and effective, but thinks that reading something like a novel is far more pleasurable physically holding the book

But then, more to the point, how many people are even reading e-books in public? I don't think very many, mostly scrolling through their smart phones not reading a book

True, most people aren't reading ebooks. As you say - you can quickly tell by how quickly they're interacting with the screen. Plus, which way up the screen is is a dead giveaway. Staring at a sideways screen would indicate watching videos. Whereas staring at an upright screen would suggest someone is reading.

I do love how dated Star Trek TNG, Voyager and DS9 now look with their handheld tech when we have tablets and smartphones nowadays

Ed

@Sherlock --- I rarely go anywhere without a book to read. I prefer tangible books to ebooks because too much screen time hurts my eyes. I carry a book in my purse, and there are several books and copies of scientific magazines in the back of my car in case I forget to grab a book.

If I truly get stuck somewhere without a book, I'll scroll through the received calls on my cell phone and block the ones that I don't recognize.

People can't keep their eyes and hands off their smart phones.
They can be sitting together at a small table and do not communicate with each other.
They can barely take time to even eat!
Never saw the attraction myself and don't even own one.

I can say you probably ain’t missing much.

I’ve never understood the appeal of the stupid things either. Oh I *have* one, but it’s never used as a phone unless I need help. It’s used as a flashlight, a camera, and a magical talking map. Well, okay, it’s also used while piloting a couple of specific drones that I have (attaches to their control gizmos) but that’s a very specialized use.

Since I never joined the zombie horde- er, I mean, any of the social media sites, it really has no other use beyond that.

I’m convinced that’s what these devices are REALLY for: to funnel you towards social media and such…and thus, towards the ads that help them profit.

The REALLY funny type of phone use though is the…. Haha… the “VR” type. Which isn’t truly VR… it’s a gimmick that has you standing there with your phone strapped to your face though some cheap “headset” (which, in some cases, is actually made of cardboard. Yes, really). This looks every bit as stupid as it sounds. Bonus points if the wearer starts having a typical VR freak-out while on the bus or something.

More of my favorite quotes from The Oblongs

Helga: I’ve been eating the rejected wedding cakes from the bakery next door.
Milo: I don’t think that’s very healthy, Helga.
Helga: Oh relax. I get all of the major food dyes. Red, white. Mostly white.

Milo: Let’s watch some tv!
Helga: Can’t. I haven’t been able to fit through the door since I blossomed into a beautiful young woman.
*Milo uses a chainsaw to cutout the sides of the door to fit Helga’s body*
Helga: It’s so nice to have a man around the house! *Gasping* Fluffy!
*A cat skeleton wearing a giant blue bow is laying on top of a cat bed that says Fluffy*
Helga (Crying): My poor little kitty! *Suddenly stops crying* I wonder if there’s marrow still inside?
Milo: Only one way to find out! *Starts up chainsaw*

*On the tv*
Velva: We must rescue Majora from the evil Testiclies. I could ride my horse, Fallopiuis, or take my boat, the Cervix!
Old Woman: But we still don’t know if she’s being held in Scroter’s Castle or the Vas Deferent Forest. Luckily we have these models! *Pulls out some action figures and playsets* They make wonderful gifts for Christmas, bat mizvahs, or a substitute for love!

Beth: Milo said he’s not going to school today.
Pickles: Beth, honey, nobody likes a tattletale.
Bob: I do. They’re an essential part of any family. You keep right on tattling, sweetie pie.
Beth: Daddy has a magazine of naked ladies hugging.
*Pickles smirks triumphantly at a now embarrassed and uncomfortable Bob*
Bob: Oh criminy....

Last edited:
Here is a quote from a book (hardback) I’m reading while sitting in the sun. My chair is partly in mud and partly in old icy snow. It is cold and sunny. I have on 2 sweaters. :)

“Ørsted showed how we were to convert electric into magnetic forces, and I had the delight of adding the other member to the full relation, by reacting back again and converting electric into magnetic forces.”
— Michael Farafday

The book is:
Spark
The Life of Electricity and the Electricity of Life
by Timothy J. Jorgensen

New Threads

Top Bottom