• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bespoke Tailoring in England

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Found this on Google just now as I'm planning in advance for a posh "End of Summer Ball" in September, last year I went wearing a Banana Man costume and I felt totally out of place amongst all the pretty young ladies who were all wearing posh Ball Gowns.

So basically I'm looking for a cheap custom made Tux, as I doubt an "Off the Peg" one would fit me as I'm small for my age at 5'5"

As mentioned I've had a look on Google, and the cheapest price was £119 on the link I posted, but I can't justify spending that much on something I'd wear once a year for a few years.

Can anyone recommend anything quite a bit cheaper? I do have an option of going to the Ball as "Zorro", maybe I'd find a Catherine Zeta Jones to my Antonio Banderas, lol yeah right! :D

I don't think "cheap" and "custom made"
are words that generally go together.

Thinking about the cost of the item distributed over several years
might help.

If you don't want a tux made specifically for your measurements,
due to the expense, maybe you could get an off the rack one, and take it to a local
tailor/seamstress for adjustments.

I would recommend used dress clothing.

Rich,I bought a vintage tuxedo at a second hand clothing shop.
The suit,a shirt and the shirt buttons cost me $90 USD
A top hat,cuff links,bow tie and the cummerbund cost me an additional $50 bought in various places and online.
I already had black dress pants,so that part was easy.

My cuff links are awesome :cool:
007.jpg

Although there is nothing finer to wear than a tux, nothing says you have to go the tuxedo route.
You could wear a nice suit for the occasion.

I know you may be harder to fit due to your size,but it's not impossible if you look around.

If you want cut-price designer threads, go to a charity shop in a posh area. I bought a MaxMara suit for £80 (original price £600) at the Red Cross shop in Belgravia. That's just for illustration - I'm not familiar with Sheffield but presumably it must have upmarket areas to save you the journey to London? Or would Harrogate, Leeds or York be any good?

Other than that, have you looked into hiring a suit from Moss Bros?

Last edited:
I hate dressing up, why do it? It's purely cosmetic and is supposed to make other people think better of you for it?

I hate dressing up, why do it? It's purely cosmetic and is supposed to make other people think better of you for it?
I got to wear my tux again last week.
The resale shop I volunteer at held a high fashion show and I helped usher

Why respond to my thread then? Post counts are irrelevant.
It's not a criticism, I assume it's quite common for people on the autistic spectrum to analyse things that are usually just accepted by the vast majority of people without question? For instance I was often laughed at when I grew up for refusing to be interested in fashion which in modern society like many things is mainly created by the media, yes, there has always been fashion, but without the media things changed much slower. Now they even often sponsor celebrities to wear new trends they want to sell each season to show off on the media, then for some reason many people abandon their perfectly good wardrobe to buy yet another very expensive one because they have a strange urge to copy them. Then we get many people who must spend much more to buy a specific brand name because it's apparently the brand to be seen wearing, even when something with a lessor known brand costs a fraction of the price and could also be considered just as good quality they won't even contemplate buying it, this seems like a symbol of status.

Tuxes and suits also seem to be more of a symbol of status and in this case also class, E.g. I'm better than you because I've got a more expensive suit or tux, even though it's purely cosmetic, I see class systems as prejudice against certain people and even though they still exist, thankfully they're not as heavily enforced as they used to be years ago, well not in the UK at least. Sometimes however things like tuxes are odd as everyone looks almost identical even though we are all unique, I honestly can't understand the appeal and in the past on occasions where I've been forced to dress up I've felt very uncomfortable. I even hated being forced to wear a school uniform, plus they force parents that are sometimes struggling to make ends meet to spend stupid amounts of money on them that could have been spent on what are in my opinion more practical things, at least the USA have mostly got this right since most of their schools don't have very strict uniform restrictions like in the UK.

Most night clubs even just 25 to 30 years ago in the UK used to force men to wear the minimum of smart formal trousers, long sleeved shirt, tie, shoes and a very smart jacket (E.g. a blazer) and even many pubs enforced very smart dress. For some reason they used to think it reduced the chances of drunken violence, but these days they've actually realised that this isn't the case because places with minimum dress restrictions were found to have no more trouble and often had even less. I also used to think it was sexist because the men were often forced to all look virtually identical with very strict rules, while women where given much more freedom.

PS: A tie is one of the most useless pieces of clothing ever invented, what use is it? All it does is make you feel uncomfortable lol!

Last edited:
It's not a criticism, I assume it's quite common for people on the autistic spectrum to analyse things that are usually just accepted by the vast majority of people without question? For instance I was often laughed at when I grew up for refusing to be interested in fashion which in modern society like many things is mainly created by the media, yes, there has always been fashion, but without the media things changed much slower. Now they even often sponsor celebrities to wear new trends they want to sell each season to show off on the media, then for some reason many people abandon their perfectly good wardrobe to buy yet another very expensive one because they have a strange urge to copy them. Then we get many people who must spend much more to buy a specific brand name because it's apparently the brand to be seen wearing, even when something with a lessor known brand costs a fraction of the price and could also be considered just as good quality they won't even contemplate buying it, this seems like a symbol of status.

Tuxes and suits also seem to be more of a symbol of status and in this case also class, E.g. I'm better than you because I've got a more expensive suit or tux, even though it's purely cosmetic, I see class systems as prejudice against certain people and even though they still exist, thankfully they're not as heavily enforced as they used to be years ago, well not in the UK at least. Sometimes however things like tuxes are odd as everyone looks almost identical even though we are all unique, I honestly can't understand the appeal and in the past on occasions where I've been forced to dress up I've felt very uncomfortable. I even hated being forced to wear a school uniform, plus they force parents that are sometimes struggling to make ends meet to spend stupid amounts of money on them that could have been spent on what are in my opinion more practical things, at least the USA have mostly got this right since most of their schools don't have very strict uniform restrictions like in the UK.

Most night clubs even just 25 to 30 years ago in the UK used to force men to wear the minimum of smart formal trousers, long sleeved shirt, tie, shoes and a very smart jacket (E.g. a blazer) and even many pubs enforced very smart dress. For some reason they used to think it reduced the chances of drunken violence, but these days they've actually realised that this isn't the case because places with minimum dress restrictions were found to have no more trouble and often had even less. I also used to think it was sexist because the men were often forced to all look virtually identical with very strict rules, while women where given much more freedom.

PS: A tie is one of the most useless pieces of clothing ever invented, what use is it? All it does is make you feel uncomfortable lol!

Oh yeah, I used to "Wait on" as part of the Hotel course at College, we had to wear a Bow tie as part of the Waiter uniform, I blinking hated it, being broad shouldered the damn thing never fit me anyway because I have the shoulders of an American Football player so even a double breasted suit looks naff on me :(

To bad to read that, Rich. Maybe this was mentioned but got to think there would be some discount fashion stores for you to get an outfit.

If you want cut-price designer threads, go to a charity shop in a posh area. I bought a MaxMara suit for £80 (original price £600) at the Red Cross shop in Belgravia. That's just for illustration - I'm not familiar with Sheffield but presumably it must have upmarket areas to save you the journey to London? Or would Harrogate, Leeds or York be any good?
MoneySavingExpert have cottoned (no pun intended) onto this. Shame their thread hasn't been updated recently...
Great UK's Top Designer Charity Shops Hunt

New Threads

Top Bottom