• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Benefits of having Asperger's

dspoh001

So I'm fed up with running into people who consider me disabled or handicapped because I have Asperger's Syndrome. I am looking for some quick responses on how to explain to them that it is a difference and not a disadvantage in all aspects of my life.
Personally, I feel that it's not all that black and white as to what is a pro and what is a con. For example, I can focus really well on my interests and passions to the point that they can build up and I excel at them. At the same time, though, I can focus on negative thoughts as well as positive ones. This can go on to the point that the negative thoughts drive me off the wall.
Thoughts?

In the words of Temple Grandin, you are "different, but not less."
I may run a different operating sytem to you, but I still get the job done equally well.
I'm not disabled, I'm differently abled (cliche, I know.)
I arrive at the same destination as you, but take a different route.

I play up my attention to detail and amazing concentration skills. Because let's face it... you don't run into that enough!

-Logical, highly analytical thinking
-Unusual and highly effective problem solving skills
-Excellent strategic planning and execution
-Highly organised
-Highly focused
-First rate technical authoring skills
-Great communicator
-Excellent long term memory
-Don't waste time hanging about gossiping, I get on with the job
-Capable of prototyping hardware and software solutions in my head (I put this last because I don't do much of this anymore)

- Less susceptible to some cognitive biases (e.g. less likely to copy due to social pressure)
- More able to systematise
- More likely to perceive and organise lots of detail
- More likely to make/spot connections ("That reminds me of ...")

If it weren't for those pesky NT being the majorty. AS would be the norm and we all be great.

If it weren't for those pesky NT being the majorty. AS would be the norm and we all be great.

Okay, I'm new here and just found out what NT means -- I laughed to think that it seems like now everyone has their own label! My biggest frustration has always been that the majority has always been good at talking about problems, but not so much about fixing them.
I've been reading forum entries for a while, and it's SO refreshing to hear others who sound like me, with some humor thrown in. Loving it!

"You know, aspie's are responsible for that phone in your hand. The light in your house. The oven that prepares your food. The world as you know it."

If they ask why

Cite that (i forgot the exact percentage, look it up if you want) 70% / 80% / 90% of inventors had aspergers.

That would probably get the gears in their head turning a little. If not, indoctrination is too deep and they'll never adopt a new view without learning someone very close to them is an aspie.

If you're dealing with an NT with above average intellect look into which inventors are actually considered aspie then replace examples with their inventions.

Last edited:
- I'm good with numbers and dates
- I've used my diagnosis and have become an advocate for others with disabilities

Being an Aspie has given me an incredible grasp and talent with the written modern English language. I struggle to speak verbally, but give me a keyboard, and I can make it perfectly clear what I want to say.

a6cb35eb1cb0aec93a2db1bc64071fb4.jpg

In addition to what's been posted:
Great spatial skills. Can nest and pack things using less loads or a smaller vehicle to move it.
Great mechanical visualization. Can visualize all parts of a car doing their job as I drive, and can pretty easily figure out what's wrong with it if given a chance. With some basic scientific knowledge, same goes for anything in the house, and most things in my own body.
Great navigation skills. I keep a map held where North is up, and go by direction not by left/right. Can figure out unmarked roads usually by interpolation of what I do know. I have used the sun and stars to get "unlost" from the woods. I don't have a GPS or smartphone or anything. Still old school here.
Even though I'm not well organized I know where things are. And am greatly focused if alone. Hard to stay focused with others distracting me (or if the potential is there).

I will echo much of what has been said.

For myself personally
Pros
-above average intelligence
-increased spacial awareness
-above average mechanical comprehension
-superior critical thought, to step outside the situation and look in logically and rationally. This can also be a con as it leads to a lot of unpopular opinion.
-contentment or enjoyment spending most of my time alone (may also be a con sometimes)
-above average capacity for abstract thought.
-natural inclination to think of things in the long term.

Cons
-Poor social situational awareness.
-Some difficulty with speech. It takes continuous mental focus while speaking to not mumble and keep and appropriate rhythm.
-Below average self awareness, a weak understanding of what others may be thinking of me during interaction
-Dating/Relationships severely impaired. Very weak ability to identify comprehend the instinctive steps Neurotypicals go though in the dating process, for example: flirting "chemistry" "making a connection." Despite being physically attractive, I am so socially impacted in this regard that it makes my physical appearance virtually irrelevant. Imagine you were looking to buy a slick looking sports car and looked under the hood to find out it was powered by a lawn mower engine.

My "cons" are almost entirely social. I don't have some other typical aspie cons such as poor coordination, melt downs, or a need to keep a strict schedule.

I find that if people don't get it because they don't experience it themselves, this can be a huge barrier to getting through to them when trying to explain, because they "switch off" and stop listening. Too caught up in their own problems to care, and will define you themselves to make things simple for themselves only. Sometimes they stop listening even after when they've asked you to explain, which is super rude of them. Sometimes they only ask to wind you up or upset you on purpose. Other times, if they genuinely care, they'll double check things with you a lot because getting it can take time and they want to help still. You cannot force people to care about you - even employers have said this to me in response to disability based social bullying at work. Best wishes, and all you can do is your best.

People with aspergers usually have an above average IQs due to the greater neural connectivity, are better at memorizing information, and are better at recognizing patters.

The way I see it, no one should have to prove their "worth" to be respected. Whether we're disabled or not, good at something or not, it doesn't matter. You are enough just being you, and anyone who won't see that isn't worth the carbon they're formed with.

ASD, whatever it is, gives me the ability to come up with ideas that others don't, see things others miss, certainly hear noises that others don't notice. I am much less prone to mob mentality. There are some pretty good things in having an idiosyncratic "operating system". Biggest problem is the culture we live in. Don't know how to convey the good of ASD to other people though but there is a lot of good. At least you won't find many autistic people chitter chattering about the weekend instead of getting their work done and that's a huge plus. It seems some "NTs" are so easily distracted by social things that they are actually impaired to some degree. Yet because it's common there is no stigma or diagnosis. Nope, we get all that. (Sorry for that bit of negativity, I still have a cold I'm not quite over yet.)

I agree what is why I don't tell people about my problems some people put you down and don't need that.

As already mentioned, focus and attention to detail for sure. Easily recognising patterns has also been very useful, especially in regards to human behaviour.

I never compare myself to others and due to this I don't feel envy or a desire to "keep up with the Joneses", I don't waste my time with gossip and I'm pretty well protected against peer pressure, mob mentality or tribalism.

Last but not least, being such an oddball myself, I feel no inclination to judge or ridicule others for their unusual behaviour, lifestyle or ideas which allowed me to make some really cool friends :)

New Threads

Top Bottom