• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being uncreative and negative or weak reaction to my art

RainbowAura

On the outside wishing I was something
i started using gimp and Photoshop when I was 16. I can’t share this art because I know it’s bad and will maybe make my identity known for those who might remember it (this is a forum after all)

I learnt some skills and tried my best.
About 2010 I started to make “signatures” for forums. I got put in a category on graphics forums (shadow play etc). I got weak reactions like “nice” and critical statements. When others got super nice comments when they were on the same level. One year I made “presents”for secret Santa. The reactions I got were weak or forced or they refused to claim the art I made. I felt worthless

In about 2012 I started with gifs and what you’d classify as “Tumblr art” for my favourite fandom and worked very hard. I got minimal followers and lost a lot (this was contributed to my anger due to my mistreatment so I got blacklisted because I started bullying...due to the pain the fandom cause which I made art of..they excluded me and it hurt)
I worked so hard and got minimal reboots or likes. Other makers earned thousands with the same sort of art. I also joined other forums and got weak comments like “better than what I ever could do” “nice” “nice colours” things like that. I didn’t think I was terrible but I got signs I was bad evertwheee. I also got the same reception on deviantart and other fandom forums. It felt like a curse.

I also started making polyvore art which I couldn’t do but copied others
I stopped all art a few years ago and vowed to never return. I just don’t know why I got such a negative response. They weren’t offensive or terribly bad. I did my best. I worked hard and wanted a response.

Sorry if I’m not allowed to vent just wanted to let it out :(

If you like reading books, I guess this book would be perfect for you right now: https://www.amazon.com/Big-Magic-Creative-Living-Beyond/dp/1594634726
I`m a musician, so I can feel your frustration. What is the very point of you making art? How do you feel when you do it? How do you feel afterwards? (without the "judgment" of your own art in mind). That is the most cruel thing- to judge your own art. And let other people judge. Make art for the "arts" of it! Because you feel alive--- or that something inside you feels good in a way. Make it because it is a self expression. Then- nothing can be "good" or "bad". As you yourself as a individual can not be "good" or "bad".

The book is called: "Big magic by Elizabeth Gilbert". I strongly recommend it!
That butterfly was amazingly beautiful.

i started using gimp and Photoshop when I was 16. I can’t share this art because I know it’s bad and will maybe make my identity known for those who might remember it (this is a forum after all)

I learnt some skills and tried my best.
About 2010 I started to make “signatures” for forums. I got put in a category on graphics forums (shadow play etc). I got weak reactions like “nice” and critical statements. When others got super nice comments when they were on the same level. One year I made “presents”for secret Santa. The reactions I got were weak or forced or they refused to claim the art I made. I felt worthless

In about 2012 I started with gifs and what you’d classify as “Tumblr art” for my favourite fandom and worked very hard. I got minimal followers and lost a lot (this was contributed to my anger due to my mistreatment so I got blacklisted because I started bullying...due to the pain the fandom cause which I made art of..they excluded me and it hurt)
I worked so hard and got minimal reboots or likes. Other makers earned thousands with the same sort of art. I also joined other forums and got weak comments like “better than what I ever could do” “nice” “nice colours” things like that. I didn’t think I was terrible but I got signs I was bad evertwheee. I also got the same reception on deviantart and other fandom forums. It felt like a curse.

I also started making polyvore art which I couldn’t do but copied others
I stopped all art a few years ago and vowed to never return. I just don’t know why I got such a negative response. They weren’t offensive or terribly bad. I did my best. I worked hard and wanted a response.

Sorry if I’m not allowed to vent just wanted to let it out :(
did you make the butterfly ?I know there are a lot of computer programs out there you can you just sort of buy one? I can't even grasp how you did that ???when I was at school all you could do was program letters and numbers and that was a language I couldn't understand ! i'm starting to hate the speak to text facility on this computer !!!I would like to smack the person who created it !!!

did you make the butterfly ?I know there are a lot of computer programs out there you can you just sort of buy one? I can't even grasp how you did that ???when I was at school all you could do was program letters and numbers and that was a language I couldn't understand ! i'm starting to hate the speak to text facility on this computer !!!I would like to smack the person who created it !!!
No I found it online, should’ve credited whoever made it

On most forums even Gary Taxali would get negative reactions, people online are just horrible sometimes. Make art if you enjoy doing so and don't worry about reactions from people. Where I live we have a sorta community gallery space that pretty much anybody can show work and so I have stuff there sometimes. Anyhoo, one time a friend say underneath one of my paintings and eavesdropped on the comment. Certainly not all positive at all. Quite a few people just said they didn't get it. They just sorts wrinkle up their face and stuff. It's ok though because I doubt I'd like my own art if I painted the type of things those people would like. Just enjoy yourself and try to ignore what other people think because it's too much fun to do artsy stuff to let other people ruin it for you.

Don't work just for reactions. Work because you enjoy the process itself. When I draw/paint it's a compulsion. Once the image is complete I lose interest. I used to throw everything away afterwards, until my family and friends demanded I kept copies or gave the pictures to them. But their reaction is just a bonus. I wouldn't stop drawing/painting just because of negative or no reactions. Besides, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to art. I personally love classical realist style and don't like most modern art. But my cousin loves comic book style art, one of my aunts loves very plain minimalist art, my sister likes art deco... They don't always like the sort of art I make. But that's fine. Everyone is different. Paint for yourself, not other people.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom