• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being sick.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I have caught the common cold, and that seems to be giving my brain an excuse to dwell on things that should not really matter at all, seeing as I am already feeling like crap.

I know the common cold is no big deal, but it has sucked all of my energy out of me.

Chicken soup, juice, tea, water and sleep has been my day today. As well as ruminating on how I will never be validated by anybody in my blood family, like I said, things that should not matter to me.

I ruminate when I am sick too. It never helps my body or my mind. When I get so low I try to distract myself with anything that feels good, even if it is silly. I watch animal videos on YouTube as my happy distraction.
Some of the best videos are Paul Barton playing piano for elephants.

I also like kitten rescue stories on Lovemeow.com

The point is to just feel better. Rest will take care of your body. Let distraction take care of your mind.

Sorry you are feeling unwell. I had a cold near the beginning of the Covid situation, and remember feeling poorly, but also lucky because it wasn't Covid.

Yes I know what you mean about ruminating pointlessly, it's usually something I can interrupt now, but feeling unwell can make it harder. Actually I was awake early and just starting to ruminate, partly because we are currently doing some work on my mum's house and spending time there with her. Family is what it is I guess. Many don't achieve the happy togetherness that we yearn for. Yours has been so abusive and toxic that you are bound to feel the distress of that sometimes. You have done a great job of separating yourself from all that, awesome, keep it up.

@Suzette made a great suggestion to just distract yourself away from these thoughts, which does get easier I find, over time, but feeling unwell can undermine that. I want to play the video she's posted but it's 5am here so I better watch it later! Curious to see how those elephants react to the piano.

I watched a long video of one of the Harry Potter films being filmed, recently, it was very absorbing. I just came across it on U tube. It's impressive how they keep in character with just that green screen there.

Also have been watching programmes about cattle farmers in Wyoming who are finding dinosaur fossils on their land, as a way to boost their income. Fascinating. They find mammoths too, just to keep the elephant link... they are more fragile to dig up, because they are more recent and haven't fully fossilised or turned to stone.

Hope you got some sleep. We have a product called Vic vapour rub that helps with breathing, maybe called something different in the US, that can be comforting to use.

Those elephants are only standing there cos they can woof up buns or whatever that food is on the ground.

Sorry to hear about the man-flu.

I hope you feel better, having worse bad thoughts from health sicknesses is something I've seen others get sometimes. I really don't like seeing people suffer, so feel free to indulge in anything that makes your mood lighter. Anything at all that might help that you can do, do it. For me, if reading books doesn't work, I used to watch Bob Ross painting videos or other art sketches back when I had less dizziness. As someone who has chronic illness, I also have not good depression, which is never easy. So if you find that the thoughts are really bad and are impacting your mental state to the point where you really feel like you're in a mental breakdown, do seek medical care.

Get well soon @KagamineLen

I agree about the family. I pulled my family’s opinions & bs out of my mind. Bits show up now & then, but I’m able to see & discard them straight away.

Now you can stop thinking about them and think about some fun stuff or read or just go to sleep.
:)

Last edited:
Be patient and take care of yourself. Know that this will pass. Dwelling on unpleasant thoughts goes back to what I have told you before. Stop them in their tracks and make a new pathway. I know you have a long history and the canyon is deep with these thoughts but you can do it. Do you want to deepen that old canyon making it even harder to climb out of or create a new one? Actually it would be a good time to really focus on that new thought pathway because you are too sick to do anything else. :) I wish you well.

I also take Curcumin and zinc along with the vit C and garlic.

Vicks vapo rub is truly soothing because of the aromatherapy qualities.
It helps open the sinus up. I have melted it in a pan of steaming water and just breathed in
the vapors.
Same with essential oils in a steam diffuser. Eucalyptus is very good.

Colds may be common, but, they are miserable.
Get well soon, man. :)

I keep having dreams where I'm all stuffed up and sniffly like I have a cold. I tend to get congested at night, so that might be it, or my brain just loves to torment me in my sleep. What I really worry about is that people will treat it the same as covid and completely freak out and force me to get tested and quarantined because I've read at least one story about that happening to someone who had a cold.

This was posted on Tuesday, and I'm just reading it on Saturday. I hope you're feeling better by now. Sniffles and a sore throat are never fun. I find that when I'm overly tired or under the weather, I get sad. Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids, and take care.

Thanks. I am feeling much better now. I only had to take one day off work in the last week. I slept most of my free time the last three days. Now I am almost completely back to normal.

New Threads

Top Bottom