• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being Mistaken for Deaf

Desiree W

So, I’ve mentioned a while back about me zoning out. I’m often in a world of my own inside my mind. Even many years ago some people thought I was deaf, because I wouldn’t respond when they were speaking to me sometimes. It’s not that I didn’t hear them, I just wasn’t listening to everything. I didn’t and still don’t mean to be rude. My mind just wanders on its own sometimes. Especially when people talk a whole lot, I REALLY zone out even more. Have any of you all ever been mistaken for deaf?

Yeah when I’m out I usually go deep into my own thoughts and I sometimes don’t hear someone trying to talk to me and do tend to zone out unintentionally aswell,as for the hearing I was actually seriously thinking onetime that I had some hearing problems because another thing I have is that it’s hard for me to filter out background noise and hear someone talk which adds another layer to the issue.

Last edited:
Yes! A former boss once called me to the office and insisted that I should have a hearing test, because there must be something wrong with my hearing. I then realised that the problem wasn't that I don't hear well enough, but rather that I hear too well - I hear every single sound and can't filter it out.

Another time, British Airways staff thought I was deaf, because I have a habit of pointing my ear towards people in order to hear them, again because I can't hear them over background noise. They didn't even bother to ask me, they just assumed that I must be deaf because I was doing this.

New Threads

Top Bottom