• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being friends with a psychotic person

When I was younger I worked in a halfway house for schizophrenic women. It was after the State Hospital and before reintroduction into society. I really enjoyed the job and many of them, they were all different. Some were funny, some seemed to have more of a grasp on whatever reality this is, some didn't at all and were quite often afraid, some were incredibly cheerful and loved just getting outside and meeting new people. Many had other issues, all had had traumatic lives. They were different on their meds than off of them.

My uncle was also schizophrenic and before he was hospitalized he was very paranoid and very frightened of this world, he had jobs, girlfriends, had a hard time keeping both though. Until he went to the State Hospital he lived at home with my grandparents, he didn't go to college or anything like that. He got worse as he got older. Life was difficult for him.

Doesn't it run it families? I chatted with a lady who was in the retirement home and had the dx of schizophrenia. She had a flat affect. She use to be a piano teacher. But l did see her eyes open up a little more when l talked to her. The other woman looked out for her at meal times.

Last edited:
My high school girlfriend was quite schizophrenic. Of course I didn't know it at the time; I realized it a few years later at university when we covered it in Intro to Psychology. Needless to say I was picking my jaw off the floor!

I remember her doing things like lapsing into baby talk, expressing a lot of fear (paranoia) for imagined natural disasters, being somewhat incoherent (thoughts not expressed in a logical order), etc. She also seemed to have a self for school, one for her family, one when she was with me, one for people she had just met, so on, which makes me wonder (with the advantage of hindsight) if there wasn't some dissociation going on there too.

Similar to Autism, there is a wide range of personalities and behavior among those diagnosed with Schizophrenia.

New Threads

Top Bottom