• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being Autistic vs. having Autism.

Guppyfry

Big BIG difference in what these two terms connotate. I wish saying that someone "has Autism" would disappear off the English Language, and any other language in existance today, and here is why:

Making a statement that "I am Autistic", or So and So "is Autistic" is a declaration of being. An identification with certain inate traits and characteristics. An explanation of how a person feels, thinks, relates to the world.

Saying that "Someone has Autism" implies that this person is not well. That they have an illness that needs to be cured/fixed. It implies a judgement by the NT world about what being normal is, and how someonw that has Autism falls short of that norm, because of the Autism.

Talking about Autism in general, as in the title of this Forum (General Autism Discussion), is fine, in my opinion, but not when talking about individuals.

I feel this is a very strong distinction between the two terms, and language shapes our thinking and implied beliefs. I know not everyone feels strongly about this (and that's fine - there is stuff I don't care about one way or another that is very important to others, and I respect that) - but I just wanted to make an assertion about how I feel.

I think it matters only to the person who is actually autistic or has autism, how they feel it is right way to say it is up to them. What they feel comfortable with is how to address it, nothing else.

I don't think 'has autism' is quite there with the same connotation of having a mental illness but it does suggest that it's something attached to the person rather than a part of their personality.

I'm fine with either though, it's not that important to me. There's bigger problems needing to be made right like 'suffers with autism' or 'I knew something was wrong'.

1473195057608.jpg

I am autistic. I don't always know the right words to say in particular situations and often I have to rehearse even basic communication. Panic sets in when I think I made a humiliating mistake. I see things differently. I don't have autism and it upsets me when people assume I'm ill.

I agree, I am autistic, and try to avoid expressions common in the culture of cure. In the past, the discussions on autism were solely from the parents' viewpoint. That is starting to change. :) Autistic bloggers, autistic public speakers (either speaking or using AAC/FC to communicate), and autistics in many settings are being heard, no matter how we communicate.The world is changing, for this I am glad. We are being heard!

We need to be leading the conversation regarding autism.
"Nothing about us, without us" makes sense.

I very much prefer identity-first language.

We are moving toward the social model of disability (strengths-based), and less toward the medical model (deficits-based), although we understand we need our challenges recognized that they can be better supported.

I'm so grateful to be alive to witness things changing for the better.

For most disabilities, the opposite is true. People prefer to be described as someone with a missing leg, not as a one-legged person. The argument is that they do not want to be labeled by their handicap. A person with [a handicap] is preferred over [a handicapped] person because they want to be seen as a person first.

I think I prefer having autism over being autistic. But either way is OK with me.

I do not consider being autistic as being disabled. Yes, I am a very High Functioning Autistic, and can blend into an NT world most days, but I am still autistic, yet I am NOT disabled, I am not even different abled, I am just abled. In many ways I have considered autism as the next level step in our evolution, the need for useless social interactions take time, they don't make life any better, but instead add too much extraneous garbage into our lives. There is a huge difference between useless social interactions and useful ones. Social interactions which revolve around small talk are useless.

Thank you for saying something I have always thought...

David

I am "On the Spectrum" but I don't have actual Autism, I have Asperger's, a mild form of Autism.

Seriously though, WTF is a "Spectrum" apart from an 80s computer?!

I am "On the Spectrum" but I don't have actual Autism, I have Asperger's, a mild form of Autism.

Seriously though, WTF is a "Spectrum" apart from an 80s computer?!

You have that option to claim as much, not being in the US and/or being diagnosed before May, 2013. Otherwise after that point in time, if your diagnostics rigidly complies with the edicts of the DSM-V, then it's Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Since I haven't been formally diagnosed, I prefer to be considered to be "on the spectrum of autism", in accordance with existing diagnostic protocols in my country.

I suppose it's entirely possible to find a medical professional here who would currently document a diagnosis as "Asperger's Syndrome", but in doing so I'd want to know precisely why they chose to defy existing protocols.

Last edited:
The way I understand it, the majority of autistic people do not like "person first" language, so you're not the only one. Unfortunately, NT's are the one's who made it the more politically correct thing believing it's more "respectable" despite the criticisms against it.

I am an 'autistic person', not a 'person with autism'. It isn't an add-on or an accessory; it's who I am.

But equally, I'm not going to get offended if someone calls me a person with autism. I would like to think I'd find out what others preferred, and go with their preference when speaking to them.

We would more likely say 'An intelligent person' than we would 'A person with intelligence,' and likewise 'A strong person' would usually be preferred to 'A person with strength,' although I'm sure you could find an occasion for either. More than likely, it's in the eye of the beholder, and I won't be offended if your choice is different from mine.

I am a undiagnosed high-functioning Autistic person and am going through training to become a Direct Service Provider or ABA Therapist for children 2 years and up. I am female and have not been able to receive a proper diagnosis and my plan is to become a professional Autistic Advocate, Speaker and writer. I want to learn as much as possible about Autism and would like feedback from you all.

Hi, INDIEMEG

I also have Aspergers/high functioning autism and I am male. Life with autism has been good and bad at the same time. I often get excluded by NTs and included with other autistic kids. Also, about what Guppyfry said, the correct term fir saying someone is autistic is "he is autistic" or "she is autistic".

We would more likely say 'An intelligent person' than we would 'A person with intelligence,' and likewise 'A strong person' would usually be preferred to 'A person with strength,' although I'm sure you could find an occasion for either. More than likely, it's in the eye of the beholder, and I won't be offended if your choice is different from mine.

Exactly! See how it connects the person and their trait as one - not as being apart. Being Autistic is not a negative in my view, no need to separate the person from specific innate traits.

New Threads

Top Bottom