1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bedwetting is an autistic trait?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Panthro, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Panthro

Panthro Well-Known Member

My Aspergers Child: Aspergers Children and Bed-wetting

I have found various accounts from parents of ASD children that are still bedwetting well after they should be. As much as I hate to admit it, I did not stop bedwetting until I was 10 years old, and it was a nightmare having to spend the night at someone else's house. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 88 Times the Fun V.I.P Member

I wet the bed for a while, I don't know exactly what age. However, I was also abused as a child and its also said to go along with that so I can't be certain it was from my ASD.

3. Lula1989

Lula1989 Active Member

I did as well, but can't remember what age. I remember my mom telling me in my teens I didn't figure out how to hold my bladder until later than most kids, even my sister. She stopped at a normal age

4. Major Tom

Major Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I wet the bed until I was 16, not nightly, but a few nights a week for sure. It surely was a nightmare staying at anyone else's house, and often embarrassing to say the least. I did eventually grow out of it thankfully.

5. Bolletje

Bolletje Potato chip wizard

I stopped wetting the bed when I was 5 or so.

6. pax

pax Well-Known Member

No I apparently toilet trained myself before I could walk due to sensory issues.
    My brother on the other hand wet the bed till he was about 10. I don't think he has ASD though. He leans more to antisocial personality. I've heard the two are linked.

7. Sabrina

Sabrina Gentle & brave earthling

My daughter used night diapers, every night, until she was aproximately six-and-a-half-years-old.

8. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Missionary ☝ Cybernaut

I think that I stopped around 9(?). (Even when having no water before bedtime. :confused:)

My 23yo, LFA daughter is potty-trained,* but she still wears a nighttime diaper.

*Potty-trained, but she doesn't know how to hold it, so she has her own commode chair (which is easier than cleaning her floor or bed).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  9. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I do not recall ever wetting the bed ( but that doesn't mean it never happened). I guess, you see, the idea of sleeping in my own urine, was enough to get me out of bed to relieve myself.

Having said the above, I must have wet my bed at some point, to know that it was not a pleasant feeling and not to do it again lol

Until recently, when I had my gallbladder removed, I was ashamed of ablutions in any form, but that experience helped me a great deal. Once, when I was in hospital, I would beg my Creator to not let nurses in, whilst I was on the toilet and it never happened. This time, they would walk in and I would call out: on the toilet and they would say: ok, will pop back later and I felt no shame. I suppose it is because I fully understand and appreciate the role of our bodies now and so, it takes away the shame.