• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Because of GDPR, would I be able to use my MA license as ID document for applying for jobs?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Anyway, back at the end of October, I had an interview for a seasonal job at the big Royal Mail sorting Office near Meadowhall, everything was fine until they wouldn't accept every possible document Dad could get his hands on for ID, they insisted on either a photo driving license or an in-date British Passport, neither of which I have.

Anyway having recently passed the latest grading at my Martial Arts class, I have no license back which has all my personal details and photo, could I use that for ID document?

Last edited:
Sorry but your post is a bit confusing. I work a fair amount with GDPR regulations but I don't see how it applies to your situation. GDPR is a set of regulations, which organizations that collect personal data have to obey. It regulates how they store data and how they must accommodate users who want to see their data or have their data removed.

> Anyway having recently passed the latest grading at my Martial Arts class, I have no license back which has > all my personal details and photo, could I use that for ID?

This is very confusing, what does 'that' refer to in the last part of the sentence? Because as it stands it refers to 'no license', which doesn't make sense.

In general an ID is meant to be a government sanctioned document that qualifies who you are. It establishes your identity. Some governments issue special IDs for those who can't have regular forms of ID like a driver's license or a passport.

Sorry but your post is a bit confusing. I work a fair amount with GDPR regulations but I don't see how it applies to your situation. GDPR is a set of regulations, which organizations that collect personal data have to obey. It regulates how they store data and how they must accommodate users who want to see their data or have their data removed.

> Anyway having recently passed the latest grading at my Martial Arts class, I have no license back which has > all my personal details and photo, could I use that for ID?

This is very confusing, what does 'that' refer to in the last part of the sentence? Because as it stands it refers to 'no license', which doesn't make sense.

In general an ID is meant to be a government sanctioned document that qualifies who you are. It establishes your identity. Some governments issue special IDs for those who can't have regular forms of ID like a driver's license or a passport.

Excuse the typos, I meant I have MY licemse nack which has my personal details qnd could I use it for ID?

Sorry Rich but it's very unlikely anyone will accept that as ID. The only document that everyone will accept is a current passport and most will accept a full driving license. You've already told us why you can't get a driving license so your only option for ID is to get a passport. I know it costs money, but you are in the same situation as everyone else. Increasingly organisations are insisting on passports as the only valid ID they will accept.

It's actually the cheaper option when you factor in the costs of lessons and test(s) when you get a full driving license.

Sorry Rich but it's very unlikely anyone will accept that as ID. The only document that everyone will accept is a current passport and most will accept a full driving license. You've already told us why you can't get a driving license so your only option for ID is to get a passport. I know it costs money, but you are in the same situation as everyone else. Increasingly organisations are insisting on passports as the only valid ID they will accept.

It's actually the cheaper option when you factor in the costs of lessons and test(s) when you get a full driving license.

Thing is, applying for a driving license would be a complete waste of my and the DVLA's time, because due to my disabilities and AS, there's a 99.99% chance I'd get refused again, leading to intense stress, and I don't have £60 for a British passport, as discussed at length, I am on benefits.

As I said above Rich - You've told us before about what happened when you tried to get a provisional license so we know that's not an option for you, but if you want an ID that will be accepted, the only way is to scrape the money together for a passport. Other people on benefits have to do the same in order to have ID for work and all sorts of purposes.

I don't think he meant have someone else do it for you.

I believe the idea was that you could ask for the money to pay for a passport,
and maybe someone would give you a gift of money for that purpose.

In this day and age it's best to consider any government stipulation regarding requirements for photo identification to mean only that which is government mandated.

Which would exclude any and all forms of non-governmental photo identification. Without exception.

Last edited:
Like everything else nowadays, it's all done online.

You can still apply with a paper application Rich if that’s your preference.

I had to get a passport, not to travel but solely to apply for jobs,
(in order to prove I’m a native and have a right to work in this country)

No alternative document was acceptable regardless of circumstances.

It’s a sign of the times Rich.

Like everything else nowadays, it's all done online.
Hi, Rich.

I wanted to make a suggestion, here.
It appears that you are looking at this as if you would be getting
a passport for the Royal Mail job, which is true enough.
However, you wouldn't be getting a passport only for the Royal Mail job.
You would be getting a form of identification that would pretty much
eliminate any future identification difficulties.

It's always better to come up with a (more or less) permanent solution,
especially one that would be universally accepted for any future purposes,
than to look for an exception or a tricky way of
getting around the requirement this time only.
In general, if the problem can recur, fix it permanently.

Given the wide range of difficulties that you've faced in securing employment,
this would be one difficulty that you would never need face, ever again.
This one little battle could be the turning point in the war.

Get that passport.
With all the employers that wouldn't give you a chance, Rich,
it's absolutely imperative that you give them every chance by being
a properly suitable applicant.

I'm pullin' for you, buddy.

sidd

Yeah but in 10 years I'll be nearly 53, and probably too old to work.
That may be true, Rich, but that doesn't lessen it's value,
nor the value of being able to present it to a prospective employer now.

Besides, when we finally get rid of this destructive, entitled, embarrassing Piece Of
Work, and you have a couple €'s in your pocket, :eek::rolleyes::p,
you may even want to pay us a visit to see what we colonials have been up to!
;):D:cool:

In 10 years, you'll be nearly 53, whether you get a passport
or not. If you have one it will be ID for you.

In 10 years, you'll be nearly 53, whether you get a passport
or not. If you have one it will be ID for you.

Yeah but it's hard enough now as a 40 odd year old disabled Aspie in the UK to get a job, who'd take on a 50 odd year old disabled Aspie in the UK?

Equal opportunities? Meh, they say that because they have to, they don't mean it.

New Threads

Top Bottom