• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bartending

bchamp

Soo. There's been a huge spark of interest in becoming a bartender. I've looked into a school and am requesting information from them.. I know such a job can bring in really good money if I become good at it. So I'm gonna take a shot at this, no pun intended.

Any else done something similar?

I've thought about doing that, it'd be a bit ironic considering I don't drink alcohol so I wouldn't be able to describe the drinks in terms of taste to people.

One thing you should know though, and might be fairly obvious, is you may have to deal with high volumes of people if it's a rather popular place, meaning having to make multiple beverages if it's a large group, along with having to deal with pretty wasted people, some who may also get a bit violent but there may be Bouncers at the establishment of work available to help as well.

I’ve done bartending for a bit. It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience for social skills, but you have to be ready to deal with rude, drunk and sometimes aggressive people.

I've picked up some work where barwork was part of my general duties.

changing barrels, flushing lines and pipes, rolling kegs to storage, collecting and cleaning glasses along with serving alcohol.

I worked in two very different establishments.
One full of drunken squaddies (soldiers)
and a Golf Club (Country Club(?))

In the much noisier bar I could watch a persons mouth to help me understand what they were asking for.

lots of stimuli but also lots of repetition. practised smiles.

I hope you get as much out of your course as you put in. Enjoy the learning :)

I’ve done bartending for a bit. It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience for social skills, but you have to be ready to deal with rude, drunk and sometimes aggressive people.
Sadly, that’s how it goes in any type of work; more so in bar tending. I have personally tried bar tending when working in a bingo hall to help out. It wasn’t bad at all, but I secretly hated interacting with sarcastic people and being asked if I know what a drink tasted like as I didn’t really drink much so didn’t know what to say. I’m sure I made up something to say, though. Sometimes they chatted me up which was uncomfortable.

I did for a bit in uni, I absolutely hated it. It was noisy, I didn't like the smell of the alcohol, the customers where loud, rude, and generally obnoxious, the other bartenders were cliquey, and it was generally overwhelming and exhausting. Hell on earth.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet is that becoming an alcoholic is an occupational hazard of bartending. The booze is free (to the bartender anyway) and readily available. If I ever talk to a recovering alcoholic and they express an interest in that type of job, I share with them that it is a very poor idea.

Obviously, not every bartender is alcoholic. If you tend to have an addictive personality, it might be better to keep away from this type of job.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet is that becoming an alcoholic is an occupational hazard of bartending. The booze is free (to the bartender anyway) and readily available. If I ever talk to a recovering alcoholic and they express an interest in that type of job, I share with them that it is a very poor idea.

Obviously, not every bartender is alcoholic. If you tend to have an addictive personality, it might be better to keep away from this type of job.

I drink on occasion so becoming an alcoholic isn't really a worry. I go out to bars every now and then.. There's just a fascination with the job, mixing, pouring, and so forth is just oddly satisfying and I'd love to learn how to do it, and make a job out of it. It's good money if you become good at it.

If in the US just make sure you're covered for liability given Dramshop Liability laws. You don't want to be legally vulnerable in a lawsuit arising over serving an intoxicated person.

The Legal Risks Bartenders Face for Overserving Alcohol to a Customer
A Bartender's Guide to Liquor Liability Insurance
This is probably my biggest worry about having a job like such. I'm trying to not let this discourage me though.

I did for a bit in uni, I absolutely hated it. It was noisy, I didn't like the smell of the alcohol, the customers where loud, rude, and generally obnoxious, the other bartenders were cliquey, and it was generally overwhelming and exhausting. Hell on earth.
I can understand that, to me.. It makes it all the more exciting in a weird way. I mean regardless, every job is hell in one way or another. I've noticed over time that I really am a people person, I enjoy customer service to some degree. Most bars I've been to are freaking ridiculously busy and that's something I've considered and it worries me.. But I see no reason to not give it a try, I've conquered many other problems in my life.. I cannot wait to see where this might go, it could become something big for me.. Maybe not, it's worth it to try something new though.

I attempted bartending briefly back in 1980. I went back to a restaurant that I had quit nearly two years earlier as a busser.
I only worked two days a week, but I was fired for my poor performance.

Before beginning Sunday brunch, I had to come in early to prep, which included cutting large amounts of fruit.
I did not trust my ability to finish prepping in time, so I would come in about 30 minutes early.
My boss scolded me for doing this, since normal people without disabilities would likely have no time finishing.
On Saturday nights, I usually just poured beer and kept the other two main bartenders stocked, but one of the bartenders complained that I always pushed the beer glasses to the other side, leaving him short of glasses.
My boss and I decided this was not going to work. I think I lasted about three months.

New Threads

Top Bottom