• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bands and singers from Canada.

Lemon Zing

Here's some I like.

Loverboy "Turn Me Loose"
The Parachute Club "Rise Up"
Bryan Adams "Somebody"
Corey Hart "Never Surrender"
Bruce Cockburn "Lovers in a Dangerous Time"
The Guess Who "No Time"
Steppenwolf "Magic Carpet Ride"
Edward Bear "Last Song"
Neil Young "Heart of Gold"
Patsy Gallant "Sugar Daddy"
Blue Rodeo "Try"
Skylark "Wildflower"
Motherlode "When I Die"
Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown"
April Wine "Enough is Enough"
Avril Lavigne "Complicated"

Some favourites:

Rush
Red Ryder
Tragically Hip
Stampeders
BTO
Jann Arden
Sarah McLaughlin
Gordon Lightfoot

Alanis Moresette
Celine Dion
Deric Rutton
CBC Country XM 171 : )

Shania Twain
Anne Murray
Michael Buble
Nickleback
Justin Bieber
Daniel Powter
Rita MacNeil
Nelly Fartado
Ashley MacIsaac
Lorena McKennitt

Anyone mention Triumph?

Holy moly. .....he still has his voice!! Before and After:

Michael Sadler of Saga.

Saga is a Canadian prog-rock/prog-metal band that is little known in Canada but has seen fair success in Europe. I was actually shocked when I was 21 years old there was a 19 year old girl in my circle of friends at the time who was familiar with Saga. She knew it when I played it on my car stereo.

This song is my favorite of all I would have to say.

"Don't be late, 1981" A masterpiece in my opinion.

The same song again performed in 2012 according to the video. He's still got it

I sadly missed my chance to see Saga when they played in Calgary this past August. I thought the concert was in December for some reason. This is supposed to be their final tour so... C'est la Vie I guess. :unamused: I also missed a chance to ever see Rush.

Some of my favourites, these are considered to be in the folk world of sorts... They aren't music icons that you would think of, sorry for that... :p

John Wort Hannam... Alberta singer/songwriter, folk country music, awesome songwriter, I highly recommend him

Geoff Berner... A rather interesting Vancouver based musician, accordionist

Cara Luft... A really good singer/songwriter out of Winnipeg, also part of a two part group called The Small Glories with JD Edwards, I also added her because she is a personal friend of mine who happens to be a great musician, I knew her back when she was a teenager growing up in Calgary, and I'm still not famous... :(

Tim Williams... A blues veteran who makes Calgary home, a quality musician

Lemon Bucket Orkestra... Fantastic kleczmer band from Toronto, high energy, lots of fun, known for music performances on public transit

Plus many more local musicians, the scene I tend to follow more anyway... I think my favourite is Frederick, a very humble singer/songwriter, Japanese/Canadian second or third generation in Canada, an excellent songwriter, I love his lyrics... Music isn't really his profession, just something he does... He doesn't have a website, and probably won't even bother anyway...

Plus a couple other notable names that are kind of folk...

Bruce Cockburn

and RIP Leonard Cohen, one of the best there ever was, poet and musician

Last edited:
Candi.
Chilliwack.
The Stampeders.
Colin James.
Alannah Myles.
Anne Murray.
Frank Mills.
The Poppy Family.
Terry Jacks.
Rush.
Luba.
David Foster.
MAGIC!

And one guy happens to be Canadian, called...

Justin...Nah! Pretend he isn't a person. I don't even like that sort of music. :D

If you listen to "Moonlight Desires" by Gowan, you can hear Jon Anderson of Yes doing the backing vocals. He also appears in the video. I read recently that Dennis DeYoung wants one last tour with Styx, but he is 70 now. I did like his solo hit "Desert Moon" post first break-up of Styx. Not sure I like the idea of Tommy Shaw not coming back. He did the great guitar solos, but then went on to be in Damn Yankees.

Gowan's video for "A Criminal Mind" is one of the best, but sadly not so well-known clips of the era!

@Sportster

I personally do not like him. His music I am neutral to. I do not love it, or hate it. For my list I was trying to think of singers that were Canadian that were never mentioned in the previous posts. If I had to list my favorite it would be Celine Dion, which I never listed, followed by Nickleback and Shania Twain.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
That is sad about Gord Downie. Apparently he did a lot of great things for people.

I personally wasn't a fan. His singing voice just irritates me with that fast tremolo style that sort of reminds me of a goat. I sometimes thought the tragically hip would be a band I would really enjoy if only it had a different singer as I like the instrumental and lyric content.

I'm not trying to poop on or disrespect Downie. He's a great accomplishment and many fans love him. One could say a little slice of Canada dies with him.

I've got an unofficial Corey Hart jumper that is black, with sunglasses, based on his 80's hit.

I really like that song called "Gypsy" by Abraham's Children.

New Threads

Top Bottom