• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bad memory

Caelix3

Is having bad memory a trait of autism? I've always had a bad memory and can't remember stuff from when I was little too well. If someone asks what were you like when you were 13, I'd draw a blank. My memory with learning stuff is pretty bad too. I forget what I learned the day after. Someone has to remind me or show me step by step, in order for me to remember again. Or I need a written reminder. I don't have photographic memory either. I feel like I'm the only one.

Mine's pretty bad, both short and long term. Having a fairly high IQ and a terrible memory gets pretty frustrating. That's a main reason why I tend to avoid contact with a lot of people. I've essentially off of all social media and don't really talk to my family much because I'm not sure how to deal with the situation of people I've known most of my life talking about events in my life that I don't remember. I've got a few close friends that I've told about my diagnosis earlier this year, and that's a good situation for me because with them, I'm not embarrassed to say, "You know, the name sounds familiar and I know we worked with him back at _____, but remind me again who he was."
I happen to live in an area where cannabis has been legalized, and your mileage may vary, but for me, cannabis will occasionally trigger some random memory from 20, 30, 40 years ago. It was a bit emotional a few times. I'd just assumed those memories were gone forever. As it turns out, the data access service is horrible, but it's nice to know that at least some of that data still exists and might be accessible at some point.

My memory is pretty bad for the most part. I have to learn by doing. I can't listen to someone say how to do it, I have to actually do it. I was awful in school but I could beat almost everyone in the school in spelling. If I see a word written down its like my brain takes a picture of it.

I'm a very avid reader, teacher and preacher of the Bible but I have trouble remembering the names of the people in the Bible. I also have to have my sermons typed out word for word or my mind will go blank.

My short term memory is amazing, but my long term memory is pretty bad. One such example is when I was in hospital I quickly memorized the names of all the nurses and patients, but once I left and no longer needed that information I had it all forgotten.

Is having bad memory a trait of autism? I've always had a bad memory and can't remember stuff from when I was little too well. If someone asks what were you like when you were 13, I'd draw a blank. My memory with learning stuff is pretty bad too. I forget what I learned the day after. Someone has to remind me or show me step by step, in order for me to remember again. Or I need a written reminder. I don't have photographic memory either. I feel like I'm the only one.

I have both good and bad memory, depending on the subject matter. Short term, if someone tells me their name or asks me to do something, chances are I will forget most of the time! But I have a very good memory for facts and numbers - the PLU codes for produce at work, I've got them memorized to the point that cashiers who have been there longer than me are now asking me what the codes are to things!

I have both good and bad memory. My short term memory is nearly non-existant. It is so frustrating but I've become resigned to the fact. I used to try and play mental tricks (for remembering someone's name for instance) but nothing has ever worked. I can only get things like that through repetition. I also can't spell...my phone has autocorrected me four times up to this point. I have a long-term photographic memory of things I've internalized though. Say with names...I need to write the word down an look at it multiple times for days or weeks. Then I can recall the picture in my head. It's embarrassing when these cognitive deficits (that I try to hide) pop up and other people become aware of them.

New Threads

Top Bottom