• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

bad jokes without realizing it

Eren

It has always been impossible for me to relate to IRL people, but the few times that I have felt somewhat confident in a group (IRL or online) I always end up making jokes in bad taste, without realizing it, and most people ends up getting angry with me, does it happen to someone else?

I do it all the time. Not meaning to of course, but yeah my mouth will open and my brain won’t kick in until too late.

My husband is the same, we think he's possibly on the spectrum (an engineer like so many on the spectrum). We do it to each other so much we laugh now about it.

Don’t feel bad it happens to everyone. Have you asked a woman when she was due to have her baby only to learn she is overweight? Yeah, BTDT, it’s horrible and you will only do that once lol.

Whenever I make a potentially risky joke I hold my breath to see what side of the divide it will fall :-D Even after years its still fairly hit and miss, so I just make jokes around my wife. In public it sometimes seems I have a really, really dry humor - but mostly its comments I make because I dont get the conversation and am being totally literal.

I have a large number of painful experiences with this.
  • People will jokingly insult each other, but get mad or offended when I try it. Apparently, I go too far, or you have to be in the "in group" to get away with that.
  • People laugh at inside jokes, but if I refer to the same inside jokes, they are not well received - again, because I'm not in the "in group".
I've found that the only safe humor is kind humor.
Bad puns are okay.
Dad jokes are okay.
Any humor that makes fun of or insults anyone is problematic. If I can't get it right, I'm safer off not using it at all.
I can get away with self-deprecating humor, but occasionally someone will miss out on the fact that I'm joking (because I'm totally deadpan and flat-toned, I don't give off the "I'm joking" cues), and say something like, "Don't insult yourself like that!"

All. The. Time.

I am known for making inappropriate jokes. I crack myself up but I'm the only one that thinks so, apparently. I learned to be quiet at parties and only speak when spoken to. I save my inappropriate jokes for home now (not that I leave much these days).

I wonder if all us Aspies got together if we would think each other is funny or not. Humm... :rolleyes:

Think we can see the absurdity of situations because we don't think like NT box people. We allow our minds to wander taking in multiple data dumps then try to make sense or jokes of it all, simply for entertainment purposes of course.

All. The. Time.

I am known for making inappropriate jokes. I crack myself up but I'm the only one that thinks so, apparently. I learned to be quiet at parties and only speak when spoken to. I save my inappropriate jokes for home now (not that I leave much these days).

I wonder if all us Aspies got together if we would think each other is funny or not. Humm... :rolleyes:

Like you, l have to have a joke filter, and a compliment filter because l can easy screw that up. I told this one mom her child looked exactly like big bird from Sesame Street, she had the exact yellow, foofoo feather thing, and the same shape as big bird, OOPS, don't ever say to a mom. Her child was a preteen in that chubby stage some of us go thru at that age.

I have a personal rule about that: I always compliment people on their kids / animals, eventhough its really hard sometimes!
Eg: Person with madly barking tiny fluffy dog: "oooh! is that a (insert somewhat appropriate breed), those are very (insert appropriate positive adjective)! :tearsofjoy: with kids I usually go clothing or hair...... :grimacing: has the added benefit of getting them talking and I dont have to.

Last edited:
I avoid telling jokes to most people unless I know them quite well.
Things I find funny a lot of other people don't.
I have a dark/morbid sense of humour.

I switch voices a lot doing that. Mostly though I keep my humor inside. Truthfully it's been awhile since I've found anything funny.
And yes it has gotten me into trouble. Especially when I was in school.

I avoid telling jokes to most people unless I know them quite well.
Things I find funny a lot of other people don't.
I have a dark/morbid sense of humour.

The same thing happens to me, I also have a "peculiar" sense of humor, many people have told me, but when I have a lot of confidence in a group I find it difficult not to say anything.

It's weird, at first I can't say anything at all, and when I'm very confident it's like taking "too much confidence" and ending up making jokes in bad taste.

I’m terrible at laughing at the wrong time (according to the NT). Have busted laughing at church and in court, I was the one in trouble and LOL when the cop was describing me drunk - had no idea I had been that funny! The judge did not see it as funny at all, but I honestly could not help myself it was as natural as breathing.
Could not stop laughing.

Not sure if it’s an aspie thing or not but gosh my mouth has gotten me into trouble not meaning too at all.

I’m terrible at laughing at the wrong time (according to the NT). Have busted laughing at church and in court, I was the one in trouble and LOL when the cop was describing me drunk - had no idea I had been that funny! The judge did not see it as funny at all, but I honestly could not help myself it was as natural as breathing.
Could not stop laughing.

Not sure if it’s an aspie thing or not but gosh my mouth has gotten me into trouble not meaning too at all.
Exactly that happens to me, I laugh in situations where I shouldn't laugh and sometimes people get really upset about it.

I no longer go to any group - anything in person, because at some unpredictable point I will royally mess things up.
Long time ago at a mom’s group the little son of the hostess came in. Our 2 kids little 4 yr olds were out on the grass running nekkid through sprnklers. Anyway he was a sweet chatterbox & blurts out something complimentary about my son err comparing certain things.
and I butst out laughing.
Dead silence.
Well that sorta was the last time we all hung out.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom