• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bad driving experience.

disconnected

V.I.P Member
Today’s anxiety driving in was very bad. I have a tough time driving into the city.

Today I was shaking while driving, I felt dizzy today and began to loose focus with my general vision. I almost lost focus on the world. What was that about? I’ve trembled or shaken before but what was the vision thing about?

I've had a panic attack or two disconnected, sounds very much like that. Luckily I wasn't driving at the time. It was usually related to going somewhere I didn't want to go, like a family gathering.

I've had a panic attack or two disconnected, sounds very much like that. Luckily I wasn't driving at the time. It was usually related to going somewhere I didn't want to go, like a family gathering.

I have a family gathering Friday. I can feel the stress buildup. It’s for my Birthday and everyone is so formal. I’ve tried to tell them in the past I do not want to do anything. I don’t want to have a gathering for myself. Last year my Mother and her husband said if I wouldn’t go anywhere they where coming to my house! I figured that would be worse so I went out for an early dinner.

I have a family gathering Friday. I can feel the stress buildup. It’s for my Birthday and everyone is so formal. I’ve tried to tell them in the past I do not want to do anything.

Same here, they all came to 'visit' and stay for a few days, for a birthday celebration. What I wanted to do was go on a really long bike trip by myself. Think they thought they were doing me a huge favour by staying, taking me out, bringing me gifts. They don't understand me, they want me to enjoy the things they like to do. They want me to be like them and I'm not.

Sometimes I think that parties and celebrations are all about the ego's of the people organizing and having them. Since they like celebrations, events, holidays, everyone should. To me, they are ongoing displays of power/control in certain types of families.

Last edited:
I get panic attacks and vision disturbances are the first sign for me. I hate it!
The only thing I can do and it works in a way is...I remind myself that my body is just responding to a surge of chemicals and it won’t last long, I breathe deeply and relax my face and shoulders and continue to do what I have to do.
The issue of your Mom not listening to you and respecting your wish to have a quiet birthday, I would like to encourage you to address it now and learn to set boundaries. It’s one of the hardest things to do but if not done now you will be dealing with these birthday parties for an eternity.

New Threads

Top Bottom