• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Baby Driver" and Autism

kbb0

So I saw the movie Baby Driver today not only because I heard it was it well made but I'd heard the main character has aspergers. It's never explicitly mentioned but he definitely shows some signs of it, including some habits that NTs deem strange, very high intelligence, some lack of awareness of his surroundings (he often bumps into people) and he doesn't talk much unless he likes the person. I thought it was a good movie and I thought you guys might appreciate it too. It was nice to see someone with aspergers not portrayed as an unlikeable asshole. I'd like to hear what anyone who saw it thought about it.

I might not be able to watch it until a few weeks from now, but Rotten Tomatoes gives it a pretty good score and the plot seems like something I might enjoy.
So I have to take a raincheck on giving my opinion, but I'm glad you opened the thread, Baby Driver wasn't on my radar.

I definitely thought Baby was autistic, at first. But I don't think it was the writer's intention (is it ever?).

But I don't think it was the writer's intention (is it ever?).
I think I can agree with your view based on the small bit I witness from the trailer. It was not a movie of aspergers. Though the main character does seem he might have some traits of it for the role he playing.

Not so nice that some critic narrowed us all down to only 10 "symptoms" of Aspergers Syndrome. o_O

"Edgar Wright put a YA storyline into a heist plot. Unfortunately, sweet Elgort – a criminal – has no dark edges. Baby has 8 out of 10 symptoms of Asperger’s Syndrome."

BABY DRIVER | Films In Review

But hmmm...Rotten Tomatoes loved it too. 96%!

Baby Driver

I definitely thought Baby was autistic, at first. But I don't think it was the writer's intention (is it ever?).

Yes, they seem to feign ambivalence of such things in case it backfires publicly. Plausible deniability.

Last edited:
I might go see this at the weekend, especially if I'm celebrating after Friday (see the topic I just did in the employment and education section).

Someone compiled a list of his traits:
  • Needs to listen to music all the time to “keep him moving”.
  • Music is his special interest and he creates as well as listens to music.
  • Uses music to stay focused and not have sensory overload.
  • Constantly bumps into people on the street while walking, a sign of his unfocused clumsiness, a common trait of autism.
  • Uses echolalia:
    • He repeats lines from films that he flipped through on the TV in an earlier scene.*
    • He also verbally repeats things his foster father tells him in sign language to other characters.
    • He also repeats (possibly verbatim) the instructions given to the teams for the heists.
  • Generally isn’t very good with verbal communication. Likes to communicate with his foster father in sign language even though his foster father can read lips.
  • Is a terrible liar.
  • Answers sarcastic and rhetorical questions with honest, genuine answers.
    • Cannot always tell if a question is rhetorical or not.
  • Is often flustered in social situations he was unprepared for:
    • I.E. when he first meets Debora or when he has to case the bank
  • When in emotional distress, he has a lot of difficulty hiding his true emotions.
  • Uses sunglasses to hide his eyes so the people around him are not aware of how little he makes eye contact.
  • Has his tapes perfectly organized in his suitcase.

*Rewrote that line because it was confusing.

Source here.

I found the echolalia bits interesting. But I still believe he's an Accidental Autistic, or worse, he has Hollywood's Ambiguous Disorder.

but I'd heard the main character has aspergers. It's never explicitly mentioned but he definitely shows some signs of it, including some habits that NTs deem strange, very high intelligence, some lack of awareness of his surroundings (he often bumps into people) and he doesn't talk much unless he likes the person.

Or could it just be a coincidence that you think he's an aspie. It was a really good film (preferred it a bit to fast and furious) but he did manage to be pretty skilled socially with the girl he loved. Can't remember what the sun glasses were about. I wouldn't say he was that intelligent, certainly not stupid either though.

New Threads

Top Bottom