• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Auutism and severe insomnia.

AspieOtaku

Leader of the otaku legion!
I sometimes cannot sleep for days my brain cannot stop thinking, i concentrate on sleeping but cannot and get mor anxiety, i end up not sleeping for days sometimes up to a week without medication but once i can i sleep a long time. Do others on the spectrum get insomnia?Sleep problems in autism, explained an interesting article as well i hope im not alone.

Nope, l am wide awake at 5:02 am with only 40 mins of sleep. When l worked 6 days a week, 8 or 9 hours, l actually went right to sleep.

But it doesn't bother me at all. Such is life. My ex functioned with only 3-4 hours of sleep with a full-time job.

I find that taking valerian and melatonin before I go to bed helps. Also, nothing with blue lights an hour before I want to sleep.

It is 3:15 a.m. here.

I have insomnia but not stress related. I just don't need to sleep more that 5 hours a night. But I have had anxiety keep me awake.

What I do is embrace my wakefulness. Work on a project, watch a movie, read and even have a cup of coffee. I have found that by not stressing about being awake my mind and body relax.

yeah, but I can granny nap, I just can't keep my eyes open sometimes and doze off, like an old thing.

Have been sleeping very well for the last few weeks, occasionally get insomnia, usually due to my over active mind, being retired can always catch up later on the couch.

Try a screen break for at least 30 mins before you go to bed. Perhaps start reading books before bed. Regular books that is, not ebooks.

Also perhaps try and see if you can make the room darker. Potentially an eye mask if needs be.

There's also white noise machines or some such which supposedly help.

You could try the herbal teas, such as chamomille.

Avoid sugary of caffeine foods for 4 hours or more before bed.

I know there's also various breathing techniques and other methods which can help with insomnia.

Not being able to shut off my brain is the only times I can't sleep. Happens maybe once or twice a year. I'm lucky in that all my mental health issues never interrupted my sleep. Although, the stress from those times I can't sleep is horrid, and the worry "what if I get insomnia" is a very unnerving prospect.

I would assume, similar to a lot of anxious vicious circles - when you convince yourself you'll keep having issues sleeping - this becomes a reality?

I can only hope and assume that the techniques people advise have a lot of success. But I think you have to approach them with a positive mindset, and keep at it until you start to see results.

My mind races all the time though. I tend to wait until I'm completely exhausted before I go to sleep, otherwise it might take longer.

Also, Sunday nights can sometimes be tricky. When you know that you have to be up at a certain time? It's like you're trying to force yourself to sleep. Worried that if you don't, the next day will be bad.

Ed

Our reasons for not sleeping are many, no doubt. But what I have found I have trouble with is getting the right temperature. I know you're saying if you're too cold add another layer, or too hot shed one. What confuses the situation is that I don't FEEL too hot or cold which I think is an autism thing. Interoception I think its called. If I wake up I have to get awake enough to ask myself seriously if I am too cold and be especially mindful/observant. I keep an additional layer standing by (actually over my feet) and if I wake up I try pulling that up. Most of the time that takes care of it and I go back to sleep. Even in the summertime. Even tho again, I never felt cold.

So I have documented what combos I use in the summer and in the winter so I can remember from one year to the next. Spring and fall? Well, they are just a best guess. Watching the weather forecast helps too (like we have to be told to do that).

The insomnia reasons are different for women, telling a women to have a cool room is pointless if you have hot flushes for different periods of time,add having autistic neurology and you're on a sometimes very uncaring planet.

Could you tell more about the dosage & timing that works well for you?
Melatonin 1mg
Capsules with 225mg Valerian root and 225 mg lemon balm. They also contain vitamins B2, B6 and B12

I take them before I go to bed, then I read a book in bed until I feel sleepy. They help with anxiety, too.
I still often wake up during the night, but do find I get to sleep more easily.

Sometimes white noise helps i turn my fans on and i fall asleep fine knowing i dont have to work in the morning othersise the anxiety gets me.

Right now it's 2:39 am and I can't sleep, even though I had 75 mgof pregabaline and 10mg of loratadine; apparently I'm allergic to pregabaline, but since it was the only thing helping me sleep (I've tried everything else...) I didn't want to end it all together, but just reduce the dose.
I had also been taking duloxetine during the day for two months (for anxiety and depression) but stopped taking it yesterday because my head was empty and I wanted my brain back.

I think I'm just going to accept the fact that I suffer from insomnia. I'm tired of battling it.

I'm sorry for your situation, it seems severe.

Last edited:
sometime marijuana helps or sedatives doctors prescribe me. Stimulants opposite effect they prolong insomnia and anxiety i want to harm myself, cut cut bite myself and punch my face not good.

Right now it's 2:39 am and I can't sleep, even though I had 75 mgof pregabaline and 10mg of loratadine; apparently I'm allergic to pregabaline, but since it was the only thing helping me sleep (I've tried everything else...) I didn't want to end it all together, but just reduce the dose.
I had also been taking duloxetine during the day for two months (for anxiety and depression) but stopped taking it yesterday because my head was empty and I wanted my brain back.

I think I'm just going to accept the fact that I suffer from insomnia. I'm tired of battling it.

I'm sorry for your situation, it seems severe.
Grown resistance tomthose meds still cant sleep at times.

Sometimes i skip a night sleep, i don't know sometimes i am thinking things and don't want to sleep.
Other times when i passed a night awake i sleep during the day.
But usually i sleep normally.

New Threads

Top Bottom